• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

bios hidden stuff

Are there still people here that can see if there are any hidden features in the latest bios version for an Asus M3A78 to enable a selection for IDE mode in the sata configuration section of the bios, so the user can flash the firmware of their SSD's.. they don't have another computer to use; and can't get the SSD firmware updater to detect the SSD due to the sata controller being in AHCI mode.

Are there still people here that can see if there are any hidden features in the latest bios version for an Asus M3A78 to enable a selection for IDE mode in the sata configuration section of the bios, so the user can flash the firmware of their SSD's.. they don't have another computer to use; and can't get the SSD firmware updater to detect the SSD due to the sata controller being in AHCI mode.

I'm confused about what's going on. The SATA controller is in ACHI mode. It needs to be in IDE mode so the SSD can be flashed. Good so far?

What's stopping you from going into the bios and changing the SATA mode from ACHI to IDE?

edit: I looked at your motherboard's manual. The option may be hidden by default. Go into your BIOS. From the main screen, go down to 'Sata Configuration'. Enable 'OnChip Sata Channel'. Then the option 'OnChip Sata Type' should appear. Change that setting to 'SATA'. And I think that should do it.

Last edited:

richardbel

ahhh i see... thanks for the info too mate...

Angel killer; Thanks for the suggestion. I am not doing this myself; but that is what I had already suggested to the owner of the board before trying to use their updatefw; so I'm glad that someone else thought this would be the mode to select.. I told them to put it in "sata" mode; hoping it was like native IDE mode for the sata controller.

I downloaded their boards manual and found the sata configuration chapter and made the suggestions, but apparently there is something in other variants of the same board number/model; that have a couple letters added onto the end of the M3A78 **

One or more of these models includes a section called "combined IDE mode" so I'm looking specifically for someone that can look at the bios to see if this section is hiden, or if it can be added... OR I am looking for the applications that I need to view the bios image for hidden sections myself.

I'm thinking that they removed the "combined mode" and just have it permanently in the bios as "SATA" mode, but since the user cannot choose the access type, PIO etc.. the UPDATEFW program cannot see the drive..

It would be easier to suggest taking the drive to another computer, but they don't have one.. other option is to send the drive to the company to have it updated... I'd rather make it possible for them to flash their drive on their computer to update the firmware, or clear it out later on when it starts slowing down...

BUMP

Still looking for the bios viewer/modification people to chime in for help..

Do I need modbin? or mmtool? for AMI bios?