• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Biostar Ta790gx 128m Owners Beware Bad Bios Update

madmanjohn

System Name the other woman (thats what my wife calls it)
Processor AMD Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition Agena 2.50GHz
Motherboard Biostar TA790GX 128m
Cooling OEM-9850 fan & sink-added Thermaltake NB cooler with fan
Memory 8gb Corsair Dominator XMS2 1066MHz
Video Card(s) Visiontek Radeon X850 Xt
Storage Various size Seagate 7200.11's
Display(s) Several, about 20- today its a pair of Optiquest Q71's
Case Antec NSK4400 with extra self made HD fan
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX 7.1 pcie and some Koss pro 4aa's
Power Supply OCZ / StealthXStream 600watt
Software Windows 7 Professional Retail 64 bit.
Benchmark Scores cool n quiet disabled- everything full up at 2.6ghz and ht at 2200. Ram at 2.2v
monday i installed the 6/23/09 78DEA525.bst bios update and noticed new temprature problems in the northbridge immedieately.

tonight with the help of some of tpu's best, i found the problem and all is normal again after reinstalling the january 13 issue.

The new bios update is support for the new Phenom II and Athlon II Cpus

So if your running a original phenom, stick with the january update.

heres the kicker. i have a beckman temprature probe but the heatsink skews the reading so you dont really know what going on at the chip but in my opinion and ive been doing this for 38 years, to the touch, the temprature is the same.

its just the sensor reading thats off.

however there are no other noticable changes or settings in the newer bios that would benefit overclocking. the only thing that stood out to me was the ability to shut down one or more cores and there was some changes in the cpu settings for the II's but it didnt affect my 9850 black at all.

Thought id pass this on so that if any of you find yourself in this :banghead: situation you will know someone else has been here-done that- its a bios problem.

:toast: happy hunting.