• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BioWare Announces Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut

They gonna charge for that?

• Better not

Votes: 51 98.1%
  • I'd be happy to pay

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
BioWare, a Label of Electronic Arts Inc. announced Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut, a downloadable content pack that will expand upon the events at the end of the critically acclaimed Action RPG. Through additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will give fans seeking further clarity to the ending of Mass Effect 3 deeper insights into how their personal journey concludes. Coming this summer, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will be available for download on the Xbox 360 videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system and PC for no extra charge (offer expires April 12, 2014).

"We are all incredibly proud of Mass Effect 3 and the work done by Casey Hudson and team," said Dr. Ray Muzyka, Co-Founder of BioWare and General Manager of EA's BioWare Label. "Since launch, we have had time to listen to the feedback from our most passionate fans and we are responding. With the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut we think we have struck a good balance in delivering the answers players are looking for while maintaining the team's artistic vision for the end of this story arc in the Mass Effect universe."

Casey Hudson, Executive Producer of the Mass Effect series added, "We have reprioritized our post-launch development efforts to provide the fans who want more closure with even more context and clarity to the ending of the game, in a way that will feel more personalized for each player."

The Mass Effect franchise is one of the most highly decorated series in the history of games, having earned over 250 awards from critics around the world. Mass Effect 3 launched last month to universal critical acclaim, receiving over 75 perfect scores. For more information on Mass Effect 3, please visit http://masseffect.com/, follow the game on Twitter at http://twitter.com/masseffect or "like" the game on Facebook at http://facebook.com/masseffect.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
I don't understand. What do you mean "Offer will expire after April 12, 2014" ???

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
great... They need to heavily discount the original people who bought the game...

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Processor Core 2 Q9550 4Ghz 1.23volts
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
Benchmark Scores 25,000 3dmark06 at 4.35Ghz processor, 835core card!
If they charged for the Ending Extra's for Mass-effect 3, it would be a total bull patty of shit in-between rotten bread.

An Ending of a game should be included.

If this was a Paper.
It would have gotten graded a C or worse for missing an conclusion.

Processor Intel Core i7-6700k - Stock, multi core boost enabled
Motherboard MSI Z170i Gaming Pro AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S + Arctic MX2 thermal paste, 2 case fans (front and rear).
Memory 2x8gb Kingston DDR4 2666mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Geforce 1060 GTX Gaming X
Storage 120gb Samsung 830 EVO SSD, 240gb Samung 840 Evo SSD, 1tb Seagate HDD, 960gb Corsair Force MP510B
Display(s) Dell Ultrasharp 1920x1080
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX SE
Power Supply SilverStone SST-ST85F-P
Mouse Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0
Keyboard Steelseries 6Gv2 - Cherry MX Black edition
Software OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 multicore score: 2249. Cinebench R23 multicore score: 5149.
EA is going full on damage control mode, and it's too bad the fans eat it up whole (judging by internet gaming forums) and no media outlet calls them out on it (well who can blame them since EA is in their pockets).

Yesterday they won a poll for america's worst company, a poll that got HUGE coverage on the internet in general. Not to mention EA's stocks took a big hit afterwards.
Today they have:
-Gotten media outlets to publish articles about EA recieving hatemail from "homophobes" accusing them of having same sex relationships on their games. (EA trying to accumulate sympathy)
-Announced all of a sudden they will release an amended ending (for "free") out of the blue. And i say "out of the blue" because the female shepard voice actor said yesterday that she has heard nothing about an extended/amended/recut ending. Also the timing is a bit too conveniet for EA to suddenly have a change of heart considering they up until just now held their ground with the ending only replying to outraged fans with carefully worded forum posts.
- and much more

Processor Intel Core i7 3930k
Motherboard ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
Cooling Custom built watercooling
Memory 32Gigs of Corsair Vengeance LP White 1600
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD5870
Storage WD Velociraptor 300Gb, Corsair Force GT 120Gb
Display(s) Samsung T220 22" + Benq T905 19" + Samsung 930BF 19"
Case Heavily modded p182
Audio Device(s) Realtek something or other
Power Supply Corsair 600w
Software Windows 8 Pro x64
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
With the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut we think we have struck a good balance in delivering the answers players are looking for while maintaining the team's artistic vision for the end of this story arc in the Mass Effect universe.

In other words, there won't be a "happily ever after" ending (it will be essentially the same), they'll just make the existing ending slower/boring/palatable.

System Name Sovereign // HTPC
Processor i7 3770k 4.2 // i7 3770k 4.2
Motherboard Maximus V Gene // Sabertooth Z77
Cooling Noctua D14 // Intel HSF
Memory 16GB Samsung // 16GB VengeanceLP
Video Card(s) Deciding // 660 DC2
Storage OS (X25-M), Data (Seagate 1TB) // Samsung 840 120GB & bunch of drives
Display(s) Samsung T240HD // LG TV
Case TJ08e // Grandia GD08
Audio Device(s) DT880 Pro 250 ohm // TV speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Plat 1000 // Seasonic Gold 760
Software Windows 8 Pro x64 // Windows 7 Pro x64
Lose the color endings and just make one descent quality ending, they dont have the time to fix and ending with decisions coming from all 3 games, i know it sucks, but at least there is one quality ending instead of 3 shitty ones. Actually its one shitty one, since its all the same for a colorblind person

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
EA is going full on damage control mode, and it's too bad the fans eat it up whole (judging by internet gaming forums) and no media outlet calls them out on it (well who can blame them since EA is in their pockets).

Yesterday they won a poll for america's worst company, a poll that got HUGE coverage on the internet in general. Not to mention EA's stocks took a big hit afterwards.
Today they have:
-Gotten media outlets to publish articles about EA recieving hatemail from "homophobes" accusing them of having same sex relationships on their games. (EA trying to accumulate sympathy)
-Announced all of a sudden they will release an amended ending (for "free") out of the blue. And i say "out of the blue" because the female shepard voice actor said yesterday that she has heard nothing about an extended/amended/recut ending. Also the timing is a bit too conveniet for EA to suddenly have a change of heart considering they up until just now held their ground with the ending only replying to outraged fans with carefully worded forum posts.
- and much more

That is a sign of rational and reactive management at EA. This is good. The comments and the stock dip probably caused the big boss to step in.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I can't believed they caved.
If it was my game and people didn't like the ending I would tell them to go pound sand ... and send more cupcakes.

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
I can't believed they caved.
If it was my game and people didn't like the ending I would tell them to go pound sand ... and send more cupcakes.

You would be out of business very quickly. The best customers are the ones that criticize your product... at least they took the time to give you feedback on what you have done and why they didnt like it.

The other will just say nothing and walk away, and there go your sales. I would much rather have people criticize my work than simply deem it "bad."

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
So artistic expression, presentation and interpretation in storytelling is no longer up to the artists', but instead to be decided by what the general masses like (or dislike).
What's next? Boycotting authors because their book left some details hanging and the ending wasn't all rainbows and unicorns?

Pretty sad day for writers if that trend continues.

Just my 2 cents.

Wow, EA is bitch slapping us with one hand, and trying to appease us with the other.

Note, the "extended cut" is only free for a limited time. This means either it will be charged for if you buy the game later, or it will become a part of the official game (unlikely). Who knows. I'm angry that EA is asking us to forgive them, without giving everyone a fair shake.

What actually pisses me off though is massive middle finger that the statement raises. Look carefully, and you see:
...vision for the end of this story arc in the Mass Effect universe.

EA is telling us that they are going to milk Mass Effect like they've milked the NFL. While most of us thought this was going to be the case, there's nothing like having a decent apology completely negated by a few well placed words. My only response to this is that I won't be buying from them, as I haven't purchased ME3 for myself.

For the love of whatever you find sacred, vote with your wallets. EA getting bad press from the consumerist, dipping stock values, and the controversy surrounding ME3 isn't enough. We need to send a message to EA, so that they are forced to listen and change for the better. The only way to do this is to stop buying their crap!

So artistic expression, presentation and interpretation in storytelling is no longer up to the artists', but instead to be decided by what the general masses like (or dislike).
What's next? Boycotting authors because their book left some details hanging and the ending wasn't all rainbows and unicorns?

Just my 2 cents.

While the sentiment is reasonable, the problem is what Bioware promised. Different endings, that hinged upon the decisions we made in all three games.

Beyond who gets to repopulate with Joker, the endings main differences are what color explosions there are. This is not multiple endings, the choices and efforts we made don't influence the end game.

I can live with the artistic choice of a depressing ending, that caps off an otherwise triumphant fight. I can't settle for the absolute lazy "pick the color" ending that they provided.

If you want to write a compelling story, or not, that is your choice. When the people in charge of PR make promises, you have to answer to those promises. Bioware made more promises than EA was willing to keep, so people are angry. The fault lies with those that made promises, but unfortunately they aren't held accountable because they "aren't directly accountable" for how the story ends.

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
don't piss off the nerds!

Processor Intel i9-9900KS @ 5.2 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 32GB Viper Steel Series DDR4-4000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Founders Edition
Storage 2TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe + 2TB Intel 960p NVMe + 512GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe + 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) 65" LG C9 OLED
Case Lian Li O11D-XL
Audio Device(s) Audeze Mobius headset, Logitech Z906 speakers
Power Supply Corsair AX1000 Titanium
Mass Effect 3: Now with options for purple or yellow mass relay explosions!

Will never be purchasing anything from Bioware again.

System Name Vulcan
Processor i6 6600K
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z170X UD3
Cooling Thermaltake Frio Silent 14
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 1TB SSD
Display(s) QNIX 27 Inch 1440p
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Cooler Master V750
Software Win 10 64-bit
I haven't finished the game yet, but I get it seems that they just didn't do the story justice. Been playing mult player a lot because single player is mostly a downer.

Some big choices made in previous games have very little consequence in this game, and that is not what I was expecting. I understand what some are saying about artistic expression, but if they took the easy path and didn't maintain the quality and promise of the previous versions, then they did a bad job.

A more complete ending is just a partial fix, and it should be completely free.

zootac

bet the DLC is locket on the DVD you pay them to open it,

the game graphics wasnt anything new its a recycled mass effect 2 graphics very small change
they should work on high res pack or somthing

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11

Just my 2 cents.

Its not art if you are selling it. When you start selling your "art" it becomes a product, and the rules change. They change especially when YOU as the artist want people to buy your stuff...

If your "art" has a crappy ending and I spent money on it, and you want me to buy your next art, then you will come to me and say - hey... i wrote an ending that you like better, please spend your hard earned money on it and my next thing because you will like it.

Otherwise make your art, DONT sell it, and then make whatever you want.

This is not really a "trend" it's basically been this way since the Renaissance with artists and patrons. We want the artists to be creative in coming up in new and unique things, but if they come up with crap, we want to be able to tell them "this is crap, keep coming out with the good stuff or you won't get paid".

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
@Phan : The discussion of the quality of art is so subjective that it really is better discussed sitting face to face with copious amounts of beer, resulting in yelling and insults and then singing stupid songs before packing it in for the night. If you're ever in WI, PM me so we can get stupid and have fun dissing each other. My treat. :)

On topic : It better be free for the life of the game or EA is going to be grovelling to the fans again in short order.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
The expiration date is EA's way of saying "In two years no one will remember this fiasco and we will be able to charge for the new ending at that point."

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
meh their is little artistic integrity to games now,

once you start mass marketing something with focus groups to make it appeal to a large audience, start ripping it apart and selling it in chunks you've lost the right to call it Art at that point its not art its a product made to be sold for the largest amount of profit,

usually art is a small set of prints or a single work, that gets sold,

multiple millions of games with DLC content are not ART, some games yes they are indeed works of art and wonderous, but have you ever noticed all the games that achieved that status never offered DLC, they never broke the game into chunks to sell off, and most of them are now 10 years old or more lol, only games i can think of in an Art aspect is ICO, and Shadow of The Colossus.

True Art isnt made for profit as said by Albert Einstein
"True art is characterized by an irresistible urge in the creative artist." Albert Einstein

Mass Effect wasn't an irresistible urge it was seen as a great way to make money its essentially star trek but more interactive, notice story gets worse but action becomes more prevailent? thats not artistic integrity thats focus groups at work, lol, still EA sucks regardless of how you look at it and fans expected more from BioWare's creation, but when big names in the company that have been there for years helping shape many franchises quit because of the direction things are headed it should tell you something about how much so called artistic integrity is really valued.

Last edited:
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
@Phan : The discussion of the quality of art is so subjective that it really is better discussed sitting face to face with copious amounts of beer, resulting in yelling and insults and then singing stupid songs before packing it in for the night. If you're ever in WI, PM me so we can get stupid and have fun dissing each other. My treat. :)

On topic : It better be free for the life of the game or EA is going to be grovelling to the fans again in short order.

I love beer - we should totally have some - but I doubt I would diss you, since I actually think you're a smart guy.

I'm not talking about what the quality is, but merely who should judge it. In this case EA wants us to buy their stuff, so we, as the people with the money that they want, get our opinions heard. In my mind its great.

If they told us to go suck it, then we wouldn't buy their stuff, they just chose the better strategy.

Ultimately, the artist that came up with the idea of the story is still in a dark dungeon somewhere in the EA castle, where some middle manager throws him a steak every once in a while, and then whips him repeatedly while screaming "WRITE! WRITE FASTER".