• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bitspower Njord Dual Fin dRGB Fan

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
After testing Bitspower's value-oriented Touchaqua NJORD fans, we shift over to the more featured Njord Dual Fin fans. These come in two color options, offer niftier RGB lighting via the dual-fin rotor design, and have daisy-chained cable management that suits radiator fan placement, too.

Show full review

System Name R2V2 *In Progress
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooling W2A... water to air
Memory G.Skill Trident Z3466 B-die
Video Card(s) Radeon VII repaired and resurrected
Storage Adata and Samsung NVME
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix RAID DLX upgraded op amps
Power Supply Seasonic Prime something or other
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I have a question, the fans are rated at 1800rpm. If you apply the +/- 50 rpm shouldn't the full speed results get it into the 1850rpm graph? As it sits the review clips off the the full speed results. The fan definitely is meant to compete against other 1800rpm range fans.

Just a curiousity on a otherwise good review.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I have a question, the fans are rated at 1800rpm. If you apply the +/- 50 rpm shouldn't the full speed results get it into the 1850rpm graph? As it sits the review clips off the the full speed results. The fan definitely is meant to compete against other 1800rpm range fans.

Just a curiousity on a otherwise good review.
So many fans just don't cross 1500 RPM these days to where I decided to just stop at this point, especially for watercooling

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Isn't 1.8 mm H₂O a bit low for fans being used on a radiator?
It's fine for general case fan usage.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Isn't 1.8 mm H₂O a bit low for fans being used on a radiator?
It's fine for general case fan usage.

It is on the lower side of advertised numbers, but take these with a grain of salt. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of companies that have proper in-house testing facilities for airflow and noise.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
It is on the lower side of advertised numbers, but take these with a grain of salt. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of companies that have proper in-house testing facilities for airflow and noise.

I have a friend missing two fingers, as he worked in metalworks... I bet he can count them too...

Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
So many fans just don't cross 1500 RPM these days to where I decided to just stop at this point, especially for watercooling

Oh ok, for me and my love of the 18-1900 rpm fans is a bit sad. I do understand though, making a quiet 1500rpm fan is much easier than a 1850rpm one. The noise spike when crossing 2000rpm is real.

Though I'm a monster who has his sweet DS-GT 1850s running at 3V at idle.

Could you try testing the fans in voltage control and see where they'll keep spinning? It's actually a very good test that separates lousy bearings and bad motors from excellent bearings and motors.

My NF-P12s won't keep themselves going about 3 volts, while my Darkside Typhoons will keep rotating. Then again a monster who volt controls a few PWM fans because better control and the PWM does annoying pulse steps when ramping. I have some weird Enermax fans that are absolute trash on voltage control, they are super long life sleeve type, and stall at 7V but at below 10% PWM they spin up to 100%. :-|

Thanks for the reply!

If these were priced around $20/fan they would be a good value, especially for people seeking RGB for their builds.

If I snagged some for free or they were included with a chassis I could see myself using them.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Wow, that is a riduculous and terrible design; Truly an example of form over function.

As far as I can tell, this chunky RGBLED plastic frame just makes the fan smaller. This would appear to be a 105mm fan in a 120mm frame. No wonder it can't compete with any 120mm fans, it's not a 120mm fan :laugh:

Processor AMD Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Dual custom loops
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 3200C14 B-Die
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800XT Reference
Storage ADATA SX8200 480GB, Inland Premium 2TB, various HDDs
Display(s) MSI MAG341CQ
Case Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Schiit Fulla 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Titanium SE 1000W
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Drop CTRL, lubed and filmed Halo Trues
Wow, that is a riduculous and terrible design; Truly an example of form over function.

As far as I can tell, this chunky RGBLED plastic frame just makes the fan smaller. This would appear to be a 105mm fan in a 120mm frame. No wonder it can't compete with any 120mm fans, it's not a 120mm fan :laugh:

Did... did you read the review? This fan takes a pretty clear second place among RGB fans in terms of airflow to noise ratio, behind only the excellent ML120 Pro RGB and ahead of the Vardar EVO 120ER RGB.

1588171470588.png

1588171489253.png

Now I want to know if it's possible to get the vanilla Njord impeller into this frame and see how it performs. I expect a lot of its "deficiencies" (in quotes because it's still tied for third best RGB fan in the batch) are the result of a frame that doesn't seal well against a radiator.

Thanks for the review, VSG!

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Oh ok, for me and my love of the 18-1900 rpm fans is a bit sad. I do understand though, making a quiet 1500rpm fan is much easier than a 1850rpm one. The noise spike when crossing 2000rpm is real.

Though I'm a monster who has his sweet DS-GT 1850s running at 3V at idle.

Could you try testing the fans in voltage control and see where they'll keep spinning? It's actually a very good test that separates lousy bearings and bad motors from excellent bearings and motors.

My NF-P12s won't keep themselves going about 3 volts, while my Darkside Typhoons will keep rotating. Then again a monster who volt controls a few PWM fans because better control and the PWM does annoying pulse steps when ramping. I have some weird Enermax fans that are absolute trash on voltage control, they are super long life sleeve type, and stall at 7V but at below 10% PWM they spin up to 100%. :-|

Thanks for the reply!

Is it really a good test to operate PWM fans under voltage though? Some bearings, such as Sunon's magnetic levitation bearings, have to operate at 12 V or near-about to get the effect.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Is it really a good test to operate PWM fans under voltage though? Some bearings, such as Sunon's magnetic levitation bearings, have to operate at 12 V or near-about to get the effect.

Yea no use. Voltage control is not really the holy grail. He has a coincidence with lower voltage the switching noise becomes more silent too as the amplitude gets smaller obviously.

Well I have to admit that there are really badly designed motor drivers. Nidec one is trully a great one. You have to take apart the cover and measure what is really electrically happening there. Yea... it sucks.

And for example, take Sunon maglev and put a 100uF capacitor across the 12V line directly at the point where wires are soldered(I put a slim tantallum usually). I put them in power supplies, and those are voltage controlled and got noise issues at idle low RPM(Volts). And run it from 5V and up with and without the cap. It will tame down the motor noise as the shape and slope of the controlling motor PWM will get as it should be from a triangle, saw like shape to meander. Well just for the lulz... you know isolation boredom...

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake

Honestly Sunon mag levs are kinda rare and there are ones that can be run under voltage control. Usually they state it as the start up voltage. But yes mag levs can be fussy. They are kind of the exception as most either run some variation/combination of sleeve, sealed sleeve(FDB), or ball.

I know they actually bin fan motors based on the speeds they run. It's one of the reasons higher speed versions of exactly the same fan(besides max speed) tend to cost more.

Yea no use. Voltage control is not really the holy grail. He has a coincidence with lower voltage the switching noise becomes more silent too as the amplitude gets smaller obviously.

Well I have to admit that there are really badly designed motor drivers. Nidec one is trully a great one. You have to take apart the cover and measure what is really electrically happening there. Yea... it sucks.

And for example, take Sunon maglev and put a 100uF capacitor across the 12V line directly at the point where wires are soldered(I put a slim tantallum usually). I put them in power supplies, and those are voltage controlled and got noise issues at idle low RPM(Volts). And run it from 5V and up with and without the cap. It will tame down the motor noise as the shape and slope of the controlling motor PWM will get as it should be from a triangle, saw like shape to meander. Well just for the lulz... you know isolation boredom...

I was more in line with you don't always have PWM to control these fans and it's good information to have. There are many where the PWM version is superior. Guess it's a question of if it's an easy thing to test on his fan controller. On my Aquero 6, I could test minimum voltage in under a minute easily.

That's actually really interesting. It's like why they add a capacitor to the fan in those cheap and sketchy hot air stations.

Gotta pass the time somehow, right?