• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Black Holes

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
Last edited:
Friends and colleagues from the University of Cambridge have paid tribute to Professor Stephen Hawking, who died today at the age of 76.
Professor Hawking broke new ground on the basic laws which govern the Universe, including the revelation that black holes have a temperature and produce radiation, now known as Hawking radiation.

Gone but not forgotten

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
What's inside a black hole seems like a pointless question, since nothing with "consciousness" would survive such abuse anyways.

edit: Err.. what I'm getting at brings a Sagan quote to mind. "We are a way for the Cosmos to know itself." The wonders of the universe are complete when our own perception is finally a part of the experience. But the damn Black Hole is one place consciousness can't go.. it'll never know this place.

But then, perhaps a Black Hole is not part of the Cosmos anyways, and therefore it's appropriate that we can't know it.

Last edited:
System Name 3 "rigs"-gaming/spare pc/cruncher
Processor R7-5800X3D/i7-7700K/R9-7950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VI Extreme/Asus Ranger Z170/Asus ROG Crosshair X670E-GENE
Cooling Bitspower monoblock ,custom open loop,both passive and active/air tower cooler/air tower cooler
Memory 32GB DDR4/32GB DDR4/64GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6900XT Alphacooled/AMD RX5700XT 50th Aniv./SOC(onboard)
Storage mix of sata ssds/m.2 ssds/mix of sata ssds+an m.2 ssd
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2410 , HP 24x
Case mb box/Silverstone Raven RV-05/CoolerMaster Q300L
Audio Device(s) onboard/onboard/onboard
Power Supply 3 Seasonics, a DeltaElectronics, a FractalDesing
Mouse various/various/various
Keyboard various wired and wireless
VR HMD -
Software W10.someting or another,all 3
Sad news indeed, but as child hearing from telly I did not get the fuss about Prof. Stephen Hawking and merely saw the portraying as a gimmicky pr stunt and what not.
le: @StrayKAT; I have pictured a way in which a black hole is a way (maybe only way) a higher entity can observe the " Universe" in one if my Petri dish universe
type scenario.

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
@StrayKAT

Have you heard of Vyacheslav I. Dokuchaev's theory Is there life inside black holes?
He implies that advanced civilization may exist within supermassive black holes like the one at the center of our Galaxy.

Lee Smolin in his paper Cosmological Natural Selection assumes that the Universe was born inside of a black hole.

See videos:

Well, that was interesting... I'm speechless. And I'm not saying that's positive or negative :p

Lol I see. :D

It's quite speculative but Kip Thorne, Stephen Hawking, Joseph Polchinski and other cosmologists have theories that one can survive beyond the event horizon. But nobody has any idea how to test these theories. It all involves Cauchy horizon, anti-de Sitter space and equations of General Relativity.

I sort of understand math part of these theories but QM and GR aspects went over my head

quirky

What's inside a black hole seems like a pointless question, since nothing with "consciousness" would survive such abuse anyways.

edit: Err.. what I'm getting at brings a Sagan quote to mind. "We are a way for the Cosmos to know itself." The wonders of the universe are complete when our own perception is finally a part of the experience. But the damn Black Hole is one place consciousness can't go.. it'll never know this place.

But then, perhaps a Black Hole is not part of the Cosmos anyways, and therefore it's appropriate that we can't know it.
I don't agree with you. I think that black holes can be survived and I deeply believe that extraterrestrials use it for interstellar traveling.

System Name 3 "rigs"-gaming/spare pc/cruncher
Processor R7-5800X3D/i7-7700K/R9-7950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VI Extreme/Asus Ranger Z170/Asus ROG Crosshair X670E-GENE
Cooling Bitspower monoblock ,custom open loop,both passive and active/air tower cooler/air tower cooler
Memory 32GB DDR4/32GB DDR4/64GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6900XT Alphacooled/AMD RX5700XT 50th Aniv./SOC(onboard)
Storage mix of sata ssds/m.2 ssds/mix of sata ssds+an m.2 ssd
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2410 , HP 24x
Case mb box/Silverstone Raven RV-05/CoolerMaster Q300L
Audio Device(s) onboard/onboard/onboard
Power Supply 3 Seasonics, a DeltaElectronics, a FractalDesing
Mouse various/various/various
Keyboard various wired and wireless
VR HMD -
Software W10.someting or another,all 3
Could it be that I do not agree with you, too wich I say if "we"(as humans, permitedly) haven't musterd it does not meant an other has not.

New Study Suggests Tens of Thousands of Black Holes Exist in Milky Way's Center

Read

Processor Intel i9-9900k @ 5GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
Cooling ThermalTake Riing 240
Memory 2x8GB G-Skill 3600 CL19 @ 16-19-19-20
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 2060 Amp!
Storage 2x Samsung 860 Evo 512GB, 4x Seagate 8TB
Display(s) 2x Dell U2713H
Case CoolerMaster M500P
Power Supply ThermalTake Toughpower 730W
Software Windows 10 Pro
So I got to watch that PBS Nova documentary (with Niel Degrasse Tyson!) mentioned at the top of this page.

It seems experts pretty much agree with the "direct collapse" scenario for the creation of supermassives at the centres of galaxies. Huge gas clouds collapse straight into a black hole, skipping star formation entirely could bypass the Eddington Limit which would normally make black holes of such mass impossible at this point in time.

Rather happily the PBS website for the film has a transcript, making quotes easy!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/space/black-hole-apocalypse.html

JANNA LEVIN: Some scientists are now asking, "What if there's a way to create a black hole that's already much more massive from birth, giving it a head start?"

PRIYAMVADA NATARAJAN: If there was a physical mechanism that would allow you to make a black hole seed, which was much more massive from the get-go, then the timing crunch is not as much of an issue and the growing problem is not as acute.

JANNA LEVIN: The answer, some believe, is to create a black hole directly from a cloud of gas: a scenario called "direct collapse."

It starts with gas clouds made of hydrogen, helium and other elements, the same raw materials from which stars are born.

EILAT GLIKMAN: The denser clouds will start to collapse under their own gravity. And as they collapse, parts that are more dense will collapse more quickly. And so, what happens is the cloud fragments.

JANNA LEVIN: Those fragments continue collapsing until the hydrogen atoms within them begin to merge, nuclear fusion begins and stars are created.

But what if a giant gas cloud collapsed without making stars?

PRIYAMVADA NATARAJAN: We realized that there are a set of physical conditions that would allow you to form a very large gas disk prior to the formation of any stars. So, this gas disk starts getting unstable, that would allow the mass to sort of flow into the center very, very rapidly, and make a very massive black hole.

System Name FATTYDOVE-R-SPEC
Processor Intel i9 10980XE
Motherboard EVGA X299 Dark
Cooling Water (1x 240mm, 1x 280mm, 1x 420mm + 2x Mo-Ra 360 external radiator)
Memory 64GB DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 2080 Super / RTX 3090
Storage Crucial MX500
Display(s) 24", 1440p, freesync, 144hz
Case Open Benchtable (OBT)
Audio Device(s) beyerdynamic MMX 300
Power Supply EVGA Supernova T2 1600W
Mouse OG steelseries Sensei
Keyboard steelseries 6Gv2
Software Windows 10
Can I spread some love for neutron-stars here too? The close-but-not-quite black holes.

What fascinated me about them is the fact that they are already so dense and have such a strong gravitational pull that they heavily deform the path of light, but light can still escape from them. This means if you were looking at one, you could see more then 50% of its surface:

Kesden worked with Shravan Hanasoge, from Princeton University and the Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research, to work out method of using solar oscillations to determine whether a small, primordial black hole passed through a star. If the data can show that these small black holes formed near the beginning of the universe do exist, they might make good candidates for dark matter.
That is a very interesting theory.

FCG

Black holes do not exist.
White dwarf stars, a product of Type II supernova, are confused for these made up stellar objects.
Due to motion in the ultra high-speed range, white dwarf stars exhibit anti-gravity "forces."
Only once the ultra high-speed motion of the constituent atoms is sufficiently abated does the white dwarf become visible.

System Name Not an Intel Piece of Shite
Processor Superior AMD Glorious Master Race 2700SEX
Motherboard Glorious low cost Awesome Motherboard 4
Cooling A piece of metal that cools the amazing Ryzen CPU
Memory SAMMY BEEE DAI BABEH
Video Card(s) Turding
Storage irelevant
Display(s) monitor
Case It's red because AMD = red and AMD = awesome
Power Supply 1000W,. but not needed as Glorious RYZEN CPU is extremely afficient unlike that recylced 14nm++ Junk
Mouse *gets cat*
Keyboard RUHGUBUH!
Software Not Linux
Benchmark Scores Higher than Intel shite
Black holes do not exist.
White dwarf stars, a product of Type II supernova, are confused for these made up stellar objects.
Due to motion in the ultra high-speed range, white dwarf stars would exhibit anti-gravity "forces."
What's at the centre of most large galaxies, then?

FCG

What's at the centre of most large galaxies, then?

Depends on if your definition of galaxy fits alternative definitions of a galaxy, one in particular that I'm thinking of...

That being said, at the center of most galaxies depends on the period in the evolutionary life cycle... could be multiple proto-stars still working their way to Red Giant globulars/stars in preparation for entrance into Main Sequence... could be an array of white dwarf remnants (exhibiting anti-gravity)... or a combination of the two including stars anywhere in the Main Sequence.

I'll show this again:

atec_02b.gif