• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Black screen followed by reboot after changing resolution in any game

Clixias

• TL;DR:
"Faulty" component: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X (purchased an year ago but barely used)

Whenever changing resolution in Full screen games the screen goes black and the computer reboots. In games that were previously configured in full screen, the same thing happens as soon as I land in the menu screen.

• List of things I've already tried to try to fix it:
• Running games over a different external drive.

• Running games over the internal drive.

• Reinstalling the NVIDIA drivers(latest version and older versions from before the problem started)

• Clean installation of the drivers using DDU

• Clean installation of Windows 10 Pro 64bits

• Changing to a display of different resolution.

• Removing the internal drive and using a different drive with a completely separate installation of Windows that is proved to be(and currently is) working on my other computer.

• Clean installing the drivers on the aforementioned working drive using DDU.

*I also did a test using only the integrated GPU and that did not show any problems, therefore the issue is most likely with my dedicated GPU.

Full story:

Maybe one or two weeks ago I started having a problem with my PC, sometimes when I would turn it on it wouldn't show anything on the monitor after getting through the boot screen. It didn't happen frequently and I wasn't having other problems so I ignored it for a bit since pressing the reset button would "fix" the issue. So one of these days, as I was playing Warframe, the game froze and soon after my computer rebooted. As I'm quite familiar with the game I know it isn't the most stable out there hek it crashes on startup 100% of the time if I have MSI AfterBurner running... Therefore I dismissed it as myself forgetting to close AfterBurner or the game just bugging out. In the following days the issue started to worsen a lot, sometimes I'd play for hours and it wouldn't crash and sometimes it would crash on my first session. Anyways, I was just thinking it was a "bad patch" or something until I tried to play Dishonored 2... Again, not the staple for "great PC port" but I had tested it before and it ran like a charm. But this time when starting the game, even though all my "recommended settings" were set to "Ultra/Highest", my resolution was set to 1280x720 and as I changed it... Boom! The same bug as Warframe had, a freeze followed by a black screen and rebooting soon after. So I decided to investigate, started up Warframe, changed the resolution and that happened again... Then as I tried to enter the game again it would give me the same "bug" as soon as I reached the login screen. I tried multiple benchmarks(Uniengine Valley and Haven), games that I considered very stable before, like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow of Mordor etc. And these, which were before set to 1080p, gave me the black screen as soon as they landed in the menu. As I mentioned in the list above, I tried multiple things and alleged solutions that I already knew about to no avail. The issue is pretty much isolated to the Dedicated GPU since I tested it with the integrated GPU and the "bug" didn't happen whatsoever. I really can't see other solutions beside trying to flash my Bios, which was something I've never done before and therefore wouldn't really like to do in case I really end up having to RMA it(would rather send it over with the "factory" bios since I never updated it) Regarding that there is a single update available and it was mostly for safety regarding the "micron" memory issue which plagued mostly EVGA cards last year... If anyone could see another thing that I maybe haven't tried I'd love to hear it but right now the only thing I can think of besides flashing the bios is just sending it back for RMA...

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sounds like a faulty card. RMA it, don't flash it. Flashing doesn't fix faulty hardware and will lead to more problems.

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
If you could test the GPU on a different PC and it does the same thing then RMA it.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
  • TL;DR:
"Faulty" component: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X (purchased an year ago but barely used)

Whenever changing resolution in Full screen games the screen goes black and the computer reboots. In games that were previously configured in full screen, the same thing happens as soon as I land in the menu screen.

• List of things I've already tried to try to fix it:
• Running games over a different external drive.

• Running games over the internal drive.

• Reinstalling the NVIDIA drivers(latest version and older versions from before the problem started)

• Clean installation of the drivers using DDU

• Clean installation of Windows 10 Pro 64bits

• Changing to a display of different resolution.

• Removing the internal drive and using a different drive with a completely separate installation of Windows that is proved to be(and currently is) working on my other computer.

• Clean installing the drivers on the aforementioned working drive using DDU.

*I also did a test using only the integrated GPU and that did not show any problems, therefore the issue is most likely with my dedicated GPU.

Full story:

Maybe one or two weeks ago I started having a problem with my PC, sometimes when I would turn it on it wouldn't show anything on the monitor after getting through the boot screen. It didn't happen frequently and I wasn't having other problems so I ignored it for a bit since pressing the reset button would "fix" the issue. So one of these days, as I was playing Warframe, the game froze and soon after my computer rebooted. As I'm quite familiar with the game I know it isn't the most stable out there hek it crashes on startup 100% of the time if I have MSI AfterBurner running... Therefore I dismissed it as myself forgetting to close AfterBurner or the game just bugging out. In the following days the issue started to worsen a lot, sometimes I'd play for hours and it wouldn't crash and sometimes it would crash on my first session. Anyways, I was just thinking it was a "bad patch" or something until I tried to play Dishonored 2... Again, not the staple for "great PC port" but I had tested it before and it ran like a charm. But this time when starting the game, even though all my "recommended settings" were set to "Ultra/Highest", my resolution was set to 1280x720 and as I changed it... Boom! The same bug as Warframe had, a freeze followed by a black screen and rebooting soon after. So I decided to investigate, started up Warframe, changed the resolution and that happened again... Then as I tried to enter the game again it would give me the same "bug" as soon as I reached the login screen. I tried multiple benchmarks(Uniengine Valley and Haven), games that I considered very stable before, like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow of Mordor etc. And these, which were before set to 1080p, gave me the black screen as soon as they landed in the menu. As I mentioned in the list above, I tried multiple things and alleged solutions that I already knew about to no avail. The issue is pretty much isolated to the Dedicated GPU since I tested it with the integrated GPU and the "bug" didn't happen whatsoever. I really can't see other solutions beside trying to flash my Bios, which was something I've never done before and therefore wouldn't really like to do in case I really end up having to RMA it(would rather send it over with the "factory" bios since I never updated it) Regarding that there is a single update available and it was mostly for safety regarding the "micron" memory issue which plagued mostly EVGA cards last year... If anyone could see another thing that I maybe haven't tried I'd love to hear it but right now the only thing I can think of besides flashing the bios is just sending it back for RMA...

I have MSI afterburner running alongside my 1050ti, and I also play Warframe - Afterburner does not cause Warframe to crash for me. Can I quickly suggest your lower you memory and core clock on your GPU, and then increase the power limit to 110%? If this works it indicates your card isn't stable. If you fundamentally cannot launch the game with Afterburner running, it's likely a highly unstable card.