1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Black screen on driver installation?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Jonsta, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Jonsta

Jonsta New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a small issue with my Phenom II PC...

One day they decided to pack it in, so to speak. When I turned my PC on, the POST screen came up, even the Vista loading bar. However when it loaded to the part where the Windows jewel comes up, I can hear the start up jingle, but there is nothing on screen. My monitor displays a "No Signal" sign as if the PC were not on.

I can boot in to Safe Mode just fine, and when I remove the drivers, the computer starts up fine normally. Installing the latest drivers does not fix the issue, and I have tried various drivers from early '09 and late '08 as well. Nothing seems to work.

I dont exactly want to do a re-install, so what could be happening? I've tested both cards in my other PC, and they both get like 12050 points each in 3DMark06 so I know they're not faulty.

Any ideas?

Jonsta

2. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried going to safe mode and restore your system to an earlier time when all was good?

3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    all thats happening is that your video card is sending a resolution/refresh rate to your screen, that the screen does not support.

Try another cable type (VGA/DVI, use an alternative if you have one) or just use another screen.

safe mode doesnt let you alter resolution or refresh rate, so you cant exactly change it.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Jonsta

Jonsta New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay well with all that I'll try booting in 640x480 mode. BRB!