1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BlackBerry Video issue

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by xBruce88x, Jun 4, 2011.

1. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    I guess this is the right place to put this...

I was recording a video on my BB 8310. (yea i know its old). well all was going well until someone decided to call me while the video was recording. well the phone froze right after the call and now I'm stuck not being able to view the video. it seems to have split the data into two files.

one is 00134.3GP and the other is 00134.3GP.LOCK. the .lock file is about 80mb (the size it indecated the video at just before the call) but the .3gp file is 0kb. I'm thinking after the recording process the .lock file info is supposed to be inserted into the .3gp file. I don't really know of a way to do that manually so i was wondering if there is anything i can do to view the video. Its about an hour long and i really don't feel like repeating what i did again to record the video (a lot of traffic was involved). A friend of mine likes our highway system here and loves it when i send video of it, and i was attempting to send one covering an entire highway from start to finish (about a 30mile stretch if highway). if anyone is in GA, USA you may be familiar with HWY 316 and the part that merges with I-85 and then going to I-285. Not to mention I was explaining how to drive a 5spd manual transmission in the video...

well anyway... any ideas to pull the data and get a working video? I tried renaming and playing with a codec pack but no luck so far (CCCP) and i think VLC, i'm going to try another.

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    sounds like you might be stuck - that would be an incomplete video file in the .LOCK, a temporary way to store the data.

the problem is that since it wasnt finished, it was never converted into a standard format that software or devices can read - personally i think you may be out of luck, or at least you'll have to do some complicated stuff to get viewable video out of it.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    yea... I don't go to Atlanta much so I was hoping I could salvage it. well at least I got the starting point lol. It took a pic when i first hit record.

IMG00243.jpg

I'm gonna see if i can rename it as an mpq and somehow extract it using my starcraft file extractor thingy tool. (used to make custom maps, pull files out for themes, etc)

edit: I just noticed most of those cars are kinda old... must be a sign of the times. Our economy still blows. (I'm still driving a '96 Hyundai Elantra)

4. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    you should report this to blackberry. looks like its a software shortcoming.

5. kg4icg

kg4icg

Thanks Received:
    The 8310 has been EOLed for quite sometime. I am using a Bold 9930 myself along with a Playbook.

6. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    well that 8310 was a temporary phone back then, but it does still work and i have it laying around somewhere, It's my old reliable backup phone... I'm now using an Atrix 4G. 720P FTW! lol. I did finally manage to save some of the vid but there was no sound. The video was so low res it really wasn't worth the effort TBH. I do seem to be going to Atlanta more often this year than last, so I'm sure I'll have a chance to record more vids once I get a dash mount for the phone or something (and a 32gb microSD)

edit: i got away from BB because I found their cameras to be rather lacking.

7. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    Nokia FTW :rockout:

8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Did you try just removing the .lock from the 00134.3GP.LOCK file? 3GP is the standard video format for phones, nothing special is required to play it, so maybe the .lock file is the video being record and the .lock tells the phone to not overwrite it or mess with it, but removing the .lock might make it playable.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  9. OneMoar

OneMoar There is Always Moar

Thanks Received:
    convert the files with http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/downloads/3gpToRawAvi.zip
    then
    use virtual-dub along with ffdshow and merge the two files :)
    select FULL Processing mode
    http://virtualdub.org/
    this is where you wanna look for help
    http://www.videohelp.com/
    if its nothing privet upload the parts here and ill see if I can repair them if you cant
    there is nothing special todo here either 3gp is just a container the codec is probly RAW or mpeg2
    most phones don't have the power todo on the fly compression to divx or h264

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  10. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    hahaha i got a nokia somewhere too. It's my backup for when i need a lot of battery talk time... and here they are.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

oh and a few pics of Atlanta from a couple weeks or so ago (kinda related to this thread)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

edit: @onemoar, I don't have the file anymore
    @newtekie1, yep tried that too

11. OneMoar

OneMoar There is Always Moar

Thanks Received:
    wow holy thread necromancy ...this is what I get for lurking the board at 3:30AM lol

12. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    LOL, its ok ;) :toast: