• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blind Friend needs desktop access to "stop USB device" dialogue

Processor E6400 2.14ghz @ 3.6ghz (24/7)
Motherboard Asus P5B-Dlx WiFi
Cooling Scythe Infinity (pressure-mod) w/ Dual Silverstone FM121's
Memory Mushking Extreme DDR-2 PC6400
Video Card(s) EVGA 7900GT - 1.5 volt mod @ 700/852
Storage Generic Samsung SATA
Case TT Armor w/ 250mm side panel fan
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Live 5.1 ( what else? )
Power Supply TT 500 pure power silent
Software GiMP
hi .

i have a friend who is near completely blind; he uses a nice voice software to navigate and function within windows xp called, window eyes.

what it does is read off labels of buttons, dialogues, menus, etc. he's been using it for years with great success.

i just picked him up a flash USB jump drive and he's having difficulty getting to the tray icon for stopping the USB drive before yanking it out for use in another computer; he has lots of system icon trays and sometimes he can't navigate to it for some reason. also, it appears that on one of his XP systems, the tray icon is not visible.

question 1:

since he finds navigating among desktop icons a whole let less troublesome than the tray icons, is there a way to bring up the stop usb device dialogue from desktop shortcut?

question 2:

regarding his claim that he can't find the tray icon at all on one of his machines ... is it possible this feature is turned off? i mean, a setting that tells windows not to present a tray icon at all?

otherwise, if you can suggest an even simpler method for my friend to stop his USB device, then please suggest it.

thanks in advance.
jbh.

Namslas90

In taskbar under add/remove hardware, click on device, select policies tab and you can check the box for 'optimize for quick removal'. This should allow you to dis-connect the device without add/remove hardware in the future.

Software GiMP
In taskbar under add/remove hardware, click on device, select policies tab and you can check the box for 'optimize for quick removal'. This should allow you to dis-connect the device without add/remove hardware in the future.

thanks .

i'll investigate this option.

do you know if the same feature is available in win98 SE? he has another machine with win98.

thanks.

jbh.

Namslas90

Don't remember for sure but I think not. Easy to check it out though. just look.

Software GiMP