• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blizzard Considering Major World of Warcraft Graphics Engine Update

System Name PC2.1
Processor Intel i7 3770k @4.6GHZ
Motherboard MSI Z68A-GD80
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Corsair XMS 1866MHz
Video Card(s) SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
Storage Samsung 830 250gb /Samsung EVO 840 120GB
Display(s) 3x Dell 27" IPS screens
Case Thermaltake T81 Urban
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Software Windows 8.1 64bit
I have been playing WOW, sence 2004 Alpha beta, and i must say yes its due for the upgrade.
I also agree that they should make it optional, I know 3-4 ppl in my guild are from 3rd world countries and have very very poor PC's they are still using AGP GPUs and DDR1 memery.

I Also agree they need to change how they do things, not only the way it looks, I have been a HC raider for many many years, and this whole thing they do with adding a new instance, but making you wait for them to remove some thing inorder to get to the next boss is old.
AQ gates was kinda fun but all in all waste of ppls time, because blizz is slow at adding new content, and now with Sunwell its kinda the same thing all over again, yet Sunwell realy did not add any thing new, 4 horsemen and Cthun still are the only real cool fights in the game to date, rest are just repetes of the past, with alittle added Blah.

I'm moving to AOC, wich is nothing realy new to MMOs but its a fresh look at the combat system, even tho its not as polished as WOW it feels like it will be a good game for years to come.
I would posibly keep my WOW sub open another year just to check out WOTLK and see what it holds, before closing the door on WOW all to gether.

System Name Evil Dragon
Processor AMD FX-8320 Vishera @4.7ghz
Motherboard Asus 970 pro gaming Aura
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2(fully Lapped). 4 40mm NB/VRM fans. 6 Thermaltake Riing 12 Series fans
Memory 2X8gig GeIL EVO Veloce Series DDR3 1600 @9.9.9.26
Video Card(s) Powercolor Red Devil RX 480 (1400/2100)
Storage PNY XLR8 480gig SSD. Patriot Pyro SE 60gig SSD.
Display(s) ASUS VP228H LED
Case Thermaltake Core V31
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1150 W/Creative Sound Blaster Cinema 2
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ 110
Keyboard Roccat Isku FX
Software Win 10 Pro
That "clip" on the main page is a little mis leading.

Recommend reading the entire thing. ;)

As for an graphic upgrade. IMO it's not needed. WoW is a fantasy game. I DONT want realistic graphics in a fantasy game.

A

Azazel

Guess a part of my WoW ''fobia'' has been partially the graphics, they've just looked too cartoonish so far. If they added even a slither of realism and some graphical appeal in the future, I just might get into it. :p

probably still be cartoony...

maybe WARHAMMER: Online will be for you :)

System Name Norfree
Processor i5 3570k @4.4
Motherboard Gigabyte UD5H
Cooling 212 Evo
Memory 4x4GB Kingston 1600 @ 1833 9cl
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro Fury
Storage Corsair SSD, WD Black
Display(s) 1080p TV
Case Corsair 300-R
Audio Device(s) Auzentech Prelude > Fidelio X2s and AD-700s
Power Supply PCP&C Silent 950w
Software Win 10 Pro 64
Actually dark age of camelot had a mini chess game in the trials of atlantis expansion. Which came out almost a year before WoW if I'm not mistaken.

mini chess game? was it a raid boss that actually gave good loot? or just a /chess option that you can play against another pc

I don't think this is suprising. If you've followed WoW from beta it was their goal to keep it on a level most computers could "play" (run) it. As tech upgrades on the world scale they are upgrading their graphics engine as well.
They have made all their games playable on most systems even the upcoming SC2 they are claiming this.

As far as EQ goes I remember friends going and getting more Ram or HD space as major updates came out, lol.

Rebo&Zooty

I don't think this is suprising. If you've followed WoW from beta it was their goal to keep it on a level most computers could "play" (run) it. As tech upgrades on the world scale they are upgrading their graphics engine as well.
They have made all their games playable on most systems even the upcoming SC2 they are claiming this.

As far as EQ goes I remember friends going and getting more Ram or HD space as major updates came out, lol.

my uncle went and ordered memory sticks for his old HP system, it was pc133, he slaped in 4x 512mb (beastly or those days) because 4x256mb wasnt enought for one of the expantions to run properly :p
mine you thats back when having 1gb ram was considered overkill by most gamers, and a p3 900 was considered a monster of a chip.

i have said this about mmo's before, they should offer an upgrade pack thats 100% optional to the gfx of the game, i have seen games do this.

ultima online for example offered uo3d, a fully 3d client that was play compatable with the normal client, the only problem was that support for it was suq and it ran poorly even on powerfull computers, in it never was very popular because of that, now alot of UO players complained about it when it came out because they where using old pentium1 systems or even 486's to run UO with 14.4 modems, (no joke i knew a few that still chuged along at 14.4 lol) those people where the minority of players but they where the loud winging/crying minority, they drove OSI to effectivly dump the 3d client updates, sucks because with refigning it would have/could have been great.

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
wow, they are going to need to do a LOT of work because the world is so huge
so, I would love to see how it would look with new graphics

world is huge, but it repeats alot of graphics, you don't think every single texture is unique, in duskwood for instance there is maybe 5 diffrent tree textures, grass all gets the same ect, so overall retexturing isnt the issue, its redoing the actual ingame models of the animals players ect

System Name Current
Processor i5 2500k @ 4.5
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Xigmatek Gaia
Memory 2x4G G-skill Sniper
Video Card(s) GTX 680
Storage 128 Crucial M4, 1 TB Seagate Baracuda
Display(s) Shimian Achieva 27"
Case Corsair 400R
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsais HX-620
Software Windows 7
mini chess game? was it a raid boss that actually gave good loot? or just a /chess option that you can play against another pc

It was part of the master level side of dark age. Wasn't a raid boss, as raid bosses didn't truly exist in the way that WoW does it now. Basically a series of quest inside a dungeon that would allow you to gain more abilities.

Rebo&Zooty

world is huge, but it repeats alot of graphics, you don't think every single texture is unique, in duskwood for instance there is maybe 5 diffrent tree textures, grass all gets the same ect, so overall retexturing isnt the issue, its redoing the actual ingame models of the animals players ect

you are correct, its called higher poly count models, ppl with fingers that are round, animals with paws that arent just 3 points for claws :p

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
OH NOES people with seriously out dated computers won't be able to live in their virtual world, where they seek adoration and adulation because they can't simply get a life.

And ..oh noes, developers of an MMO might actually have to CODE for once.

Oh the fukking horror of it all.

~stabs self~

It's got my support. Send the carebears away.

A

Azazel

why do people have a hatred for mmorpg...and blizzard...just cos they are doing well...

System Name Norfree
Processor i5 3570k @4.4
Cooling 212 Evo
Display(s) 1080p TV
Case Corsair 300-R
Software Win 10 Pro 64
why do people have a hatred for mmorpg...and blizzard...just cos they are doing well...

no idea. blizzard is a much, much better company than most of the other big game developers. look at EA,. oh god they treat their workers like ccrap and turn out unfinished products. almost every single blizzard release has been high/superb quality. Warcraft2: amazing. Starcraft: cult status astonishing. Diablo 2: again, cult status, Warcraft 3: mod-errific awesomeness. World of Warcraft: possibly the best MMO ever designed, albeit its not for the "hard core" mmo'ers.

A

Azazel

yes blizzard make allot of quality games. :p

im a little off wow atm :p its better for the casual players and people who are new to the mmo world ;p ...still a good game though

System Name Norfree
Processor i5 3570k @4.4
Cooling 212 Evo
Display(s) 1080p TV
Case Corsair 300-R
Software Win 10 Pro 64
im a little off wow atm :p its better for the casual players and people who are new to the mmo world ;p ...still a good game though

WoW is just great simplistic fun. its almost like a FPS- except less positioning tactics and more ability tactics.

A

Azazel

WoW is just great simplistic fun. its almost like a FPS- except less positioning tactics and more ability tactics.

its too simplistic imo :p

oh well :p

i played it for a bit to long though...im just bored of it :p

Rebo&Zooty

any mmo or infact any game if you play to much of it will get boring.

Im an OLD mmo player, Ultima Online was my firts,then some ragnarok and others, honestly UO was the only one i didnt get totaly sick of, because in UO theres so much to do that no matter how long you play, you will alwase have something new to work on mastering, be it cooking, alchemy, fishing, magery, slew of wepon skills to work up, carpentry, mining, lumber jacking, tailoring, sheering, it goes on and on and on and on, and theres no leveling bs, your charictor is what you make of it thru pure work, the more you use a skill, the better you get at that skill.

WoW is fun on privat servers, to me the pay servers just get to boring trying to level.....

Once wcell is avalable for use I will be working with a few friends to build a version of wow's game play thats a bit more advanced and less restrictive then what you see on the current pay and privat servers.

we all are intrested to see if we can re-create most of what UO offers but using WOW as the client, i know building houses wont happen, but being able to bult a charictor 100% based on your own effort will be fun, :)

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
i quite enjoy wow, graphics don't really matter to be honest, when your bored with alliance try horde, its what i do, im leveling on 2 diff servers right now

A

Azazel

iv got a human mage to 70 and warlock gnome... (and allot of raiding)

i was leveling a warrior orc...got bored ans being a warrior is boring for me...tried a blood elf mage...then got banned from wow...the unbanned.. i cant be bothered to play again :p