1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blizzard makes $2 Million in 4 hours from new mount

Discussion in 'Games' started by reverze, Apr 16, 2010.

1. reverze

Thanks Received:
    Plays on an Eee PC

2. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    It is different when buying something tangible and/or transferable. And it looks quite gay. Not even Prince gay, we are talking Richard Simmons gay. :laugh:

3. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    I saw a guy put COBRA emblems on his v6 mustang, then hung an extra exhaust pipe that was hooked to nothing onto it, so it looked like a cobra, with a cobra hood.
    Fail..

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. reverze

Thanks Received:
    I don't know what makes me more disgusted then seeing a nice European car such as an Audi with the hood spray painted red, or the rims painted blue.

5. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Thanks Received:
    All I can say to go to myspace and play Mobsters...... people spend large amounts of cash just to have an invincible Mobster every day. Godfather points to buy guns, outfits, masks, cars, etc..... it's crazy what gets spent just for a game esp one where you just let the game play itself ... LOL .

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. AudiTuner

AudiTuner

Thanks Received:
    I really think they make these sales numbers up. Same goes for that Xbox Modern Warfare 2 map pack. :rolleyes:

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    terrible...simply terrible...

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Actually there's a few differences.

1. A fake hoodscoop, no matter it's 'fake' nature or purpose, is a tangible and material item. It's REAL. Furthermore, it can be resold. Thus it has REAL value.

2. Even if your fake hoodscoop makes you a poser or whatever, at least you're actually out driving your car around, hanging out with people and you know, DOING SOMETHING. I can't say the same for people who LIVE in virtual worlds, where their reputation is measured by how much 'phat lewtz' they have, and their confidence rides on the level of adoration strangers over the internet give them. What's equally astounding is how none of them seem to be able to get any sort of perspective - to realize that one day the game will shutdown and they'll be floundering like fish out of water for a new arena to build their lacking self-esteem in.
    Second-Life anyone?

Sometimes I think this generation's 'hoodlums' and 'degenerates' aren't the a-typical teenagers going around doing harmless pranks and getting a little drunk, rather they're the extremely(self imposed) introverted sissy-boys who are locked away in their rooms twelve hours a day staring at a computer screen of pretty colors.

DaedalusHelios says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  9. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    First time I have fully agreed with you newconroer. I feel weird walking around seeing how America keeps getting more and more out of shape when I spend 2 hours or more in the gym daily. Health and being socially outgoing in real life is underrated. But I see it giving me the upper hand when talking to the oppisite sex so I am not too troubled. I just think people would enjoy their lives more eating healthier, working out more, and being more social with each other face to face. Even facebook is better than living life through WOW. I have no facebook as I think it is fake how many "friends" people will add that they have never even seen. :laugh: I think facebook stalking is strange too so I don't put myself on the site because it gets rid of privacy.

10. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    lol... i bought the mount, damn straight i did, thing is epic... sad thing about it though is i have ashes of al'ar one of if not the very rarest mount in the game... still thought htis mount looked epic though.

11. ArmoredCavalry

ArmoredCavalry

Thanks Received:
    One of the reasons I am actually avoiding buying Starcraft 2 collector's edition is because it comes with a WoW mount....

Seriously Blizzard? I'm a Starcraft fan, I haven't played a day of WoW in my life.... and don't plan on doing so...

12. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    True AC, but the marketting potential is unbelievable.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    True you may have never played wow, but in the same fashion that this mount is selling.. people will probably buy sc2 just so they can get the mount.. and probably never play sc lol

14. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Never played WOW or any MMORPG, don't want to. After watching the ADD like tendencies of people who do, no thanks. Other than that, I would have charged $50 and make more.

10 Year Member at TPU 10 Million points folded for TPU
  15. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That's what I was meant by my post, exodus.
    At the end of the day people can fuss all they want about overpriced content or game incentive buying, but Blizzard will be hauling cash to the bank.

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Some people buy 250,000 dollar cars when a 10,000 car will get them around fine.

Some people buy 1,000 dollar pants when a 20 dollar pair of jeans will cover their ass fine.

Some people spend 2,000 dollars on a PC when a 500 dollar one will do them just fine.

If there's a market, someone's going to exploit it.

Valenciente, AudiTuner and Soylent Joe say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  17. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe

Thanks Received:
    Totally worth it.

18. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    What is this WoW you speak of? :wtf:
    Oh, thats right, its the game people pay money to play each month. Dont you run around killing Mr.T midgets?
    Silly silly people. :p Thats ok. Its their money. Cudos to Blizz for being smart and knowing what their customers want.

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. F1reFly

F1reFly New Member

Thanks Received:
    that misses the point completely. its all about your obsessions, as i mentioned. tangable or not is completely irrelevant. Anything else is strictly opinion. We can think whatever we want to about it, but it doesnt change reality and people will obsess over anything imaginable. I remember when they were selling land on Mars, but i don't doubt some rich astronomer geeks bought some.

20. Dazzeerr

Dazzeerr New Member

Thanks Received:
    This really isn't that bad, anyone heard of sythe.org?

People have spent thousands of dollars on WoW, RuneScape, Guild Wars... you name it. Just for pixels. I've sold stuff myself. There's a guy I know who sells RuneScape gold and has been for years, he's sold over 20 billion making himself over $30,000. It's a big market.

21. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    gold sellers need a good ol fashioned mud hole stomped into there asses. I cant count how many mmos are utter garbage because you cant well talk to anyone lol cause shout normal nation etc chats are clogged with the following

;oasdkgS[DIOE[JNHF BUY GOLD ATJ JFJSDD www.mmogold/.com jfjhd[as[jwuie

and after blocking a few hundred that u see dosent stop the issue lol.

that said i still find it dumb to waste money on a pixel $25 that would buy me.. a classic game like Metal Gear Solid along with burger and fries seems like a better investment :toast:

22. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    Crazy enough that shit needs more compute power than H.A.W.X. :nutkick:

10 Year Member at TPU
  23. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Back on topic please - this thread isn't about gamers' body size or their body fat percentage! ;)

Valenciente says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  24. Easo

Easo

Thanks Received:
    Not going to buy it...

P.S. Put shadows and everything to max, and fly to, for example Zul'drak, or Howling Fjord, game looks amazing (and eats a lot of GPU resources) IMHO.

25. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I played wow for a long time,too long.But i still think this is nothing but a way for blizzard to make more money out of the people playing it.I dont play it anymore as it was sucking too much of my life away,upto 10hrs a day at some point.Its just a waste of time and a endless carrot on a stick chase to have the best gear.Blizzard just keep moving the goal posts and there are millions of players who will just keep chasing that carrot,not me anymore though.

10 Year Member at TPU