• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blizzard to Discontinue Support for Windows XP, Vista

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
Because right now I can play WOW, S2 and D3 on my XP laptop without any issues.

Times change, game requirements change too. You are asking Blizzard to support OS, which itself has been dead since 2014. Meaning, if anything happens, let's say there is a new update, but it crashes on XP due to some very rare and specific condition, Blizzard might not be able to fix it without MS assistance. But the MS will not provide this assistance. What now?
Plus, it is not economical to catter the absolute minority by now. I am pretty sure Blizzard want's to get rid of the legacy code, especially for the graphics (XP was what, DX7.0 originally?) and just move everything over to DX11.
What's more, will you also argue that Blizzard is bad because they have raised system requirements for WoW? It used to run on max on Pentium 4 back in 2004, yet the minimum required CPU has been a dual core and DX10 capable GPU at least since the WoD. Are they guilty that WoW is not supposed to be run on single core systems anymore? Or what about removing Windows 98 compatibility? ME? 2000?
P.S.
Pretty sure they also don't want to deal with stolen account info because someone run on XP, which got some keylogger. Chances of getting one increases greatly if the OS is unsupported by it's creators.