• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blizzard's Account Deletion Mechanism Conveniently Breaks Down

System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling ID Cooling SE 206 XT
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Cougar MG120-G
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
I already lost them since my battle.net dispute and their diablo april fool joke.

Blizzcon is in a couple of weeks. Can't wait to see what happens :laugh:

Oh come on, you already knew it... WoW Classic mobile announcement.

System Name Xbox Series S
Processor AMD Zen2 8 core 3.6 GHz
Memory 10GB GDDR6
Video Card(s) RDNA2 with 20 CUs
Storage 512Gb SSD NVMe Internal + 8TB WD Black USB External
Display(s) Acer VG270U P 2k
... but I am sure as hell I can turn off my credit card and delete my email address that I used to create a Blizzard account with! :D

Never had a Blizzard game. Now got a free CoD MW key with the 2080 Super. What a hell of steps have to be taken to redeem a game code!! I still have not the game but I already have filled a couple of forms, logged into their battle.net and installed their very own app. Their portal is an ugly confusing marketplace. (Geforce Experience is also not great to guide you through.)

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Let me guess, you can't provide any example of Blizzard allowing this...

This kind of rhetoric helps no one. From my point of view the HK movement have enough merit by itself, there is no need to make unjustified claims.

It's not unjustified to think that money is the motivation here. Blizzard is extremely careful to protect it's Chinese assets, and by banning, and then stripping the player of his winnings , they took a political side (have they ever banned a pro-Chinese player? ever?). There were a plethora of other things they could have done; this wasn't some guy that was known for doing this/breaking their rules he didn't have any warnings -- they banned him and fired both the newscasters that interviewed him.

HK movement does have enough merit by itself. That's not the issue - the issue is that an American company is choosing to self-censor in a dramatic way and silence the players on its platform (which is acutely anti-American) to protect its financial standing with a foreign superpower. Which is fine, that's in their right. Just like it's in our rights to speak to them, in the language of money, by boycotting them for it.

But to frame it in a way that's "oh that's just them being apolitical, and if they allow this then they have to allow pro-Chinese propaganda, and therefore the boycott is wrong" is a bit naive. They already modify their games for China and all of their new releases are tailored specifically to meet Chinese censorship requirements (i.e. which is a form pro-Chinese propaganda).

Processor Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 8GiB(2x4GiB) DDR3-1600 [800MHz]
Video Card(s) XFX RX 560D 4GiB
Storage Transcend SSD370S 128GB; Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S20D300 20" 768p TN
Case Cooler Master MasterBox E501L
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair VS450
Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores BaseMark GPU : 250 Point in HD 4600
Blizzard is doing good job by not deleting those idiot's accounts, as those idiots will open a new account the day Blizzard announces a new Call of Duty game or New "Hero" for Overwatch.

Last edited:
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Blizzard is doing good job by not deleting those idiot's accounts, as those idiots will open a new account the day Blizzard announces a new Elder Scroll or Fallout game.

That's bethesda.

System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
diablo mobile was the last nail, they ain't coming back

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
They should not use anything thats manufactured in China

then you might as well go live in a cave in teh woods and get some stones and wood so you can hunt for food.

Fabel

It's not unjustified to think that money is the motivation here. Blizzard is extremely careful to protect it's Chinese assets, and by banning, and then stripping the player of his winnings , they took a political side (have they ever banned a pro-Chinese player? ever?). There were a plethora of other things they could have done; this wasn't some guy that was known for doing this/breaking their rules he didn't have any warnings -- they banned him and fired both the newscasters that interviewed him.

HK movement does have enough merit by itself. That's not the issue - the issue is that an American company is choosing to self-censor in a dramatic way and silence the players on its platform (which is acutely anti-American) to protect its financial standing with a foreign superpower. Which is fine, that's in their right. Just like it's in our rights to speak to them, in the language of money, by boycotting them for it.

But to frame it in a way that's "oh that's just them being apolitical, and if they allow this then they have to allow pro-Chinese propaganda, and therefore the boycott is wrong" is a bit naive. They already modify their games for China and all of their new releases are tailored specifically to meet Chinese censorship requirements (i.e. which is a form pro-Chinese propaganda).
It is not unjustified to think that money is the motivation, in fact it is their duty by law. What do you think that companies are for?

What they do to market their games in China has nothing to do with this. It is a requirement. Exactly the same as GDPR in EU. If you want to work in any country you have to follow their laws, period.

And from banning that guy does not follow that they took a political stance. Only If a pro-China guy does the same thing and gets away with it then we can start talking. But that did not happen, furthermore the rules are pretty clear and he knew in advance that doing what he did could get him in trouble. I respect that, he delivered his message, that is a win at a personal cost for him. The newscasters also knew the rules and didn't act as the company expected and they got fired, nothing to see here. Blizzard and most sports and e-sports organizations have a strong policy in this regard so this should come as no surprise to anyone.

And quite frankly I prefer Blizzard to act this way than them doing nothing because then every single e-sports event will become a platform where anyone can start making political discourses. And I am pretty sure that would go downhill pretty fast.

Anyways expecting a company, any company to be be the shield that protects freedom from whoever... well that is really naive. It is bad enough to see how big media conglomerates nowadays are simple tools for the political parties that control them. A company that says "no politics" is the best we can expect.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Blizzard died in 2008 when Vivendi-Universal forced Activision and Blizzard together. It sounds like a merger but in reality all of the key Blizzard positions were vacated and filled by Activision corporate goons.

In 2013 Activision bought out Vivendi and became the parent company, wholly-responsible for the actions of Blizzard.

Whenever you've see the Blizzard logo in the last eleven years, it's simply Activision cashing in on Blizzard's pre-2008 good reputation.

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZXR, AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
So much triggering hahahaha. Yeah delete your accounts that’s gonna teach them.

Yeah, they got your money anyways and you're not getting it back.

Infact you're gonna have to buy everything again.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Yeah, they got your money anyways and you're not getting it back.

Infact you're gonna have to buy everything again.

Man you gotta handed it to the propaganda machine for being so powerful these days. You can figuratively track the social consensus on a matter of subject based on how government wants you to think. I am 100% sure the Chinese government are doing the exact same thing as well though since the trade war started: US bad bad.

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
It is not unjustified to think that money is the motivation, in fact it is their duty by law. What do you think that companies are for?

What they do to market their games in China has nothing to do with this. It is a requirement. Exactly the same as GDPR in EU. If you want to work in any country you have to follow their laws, period.

And from banning that guy does not follow that they took a political stance. Only If a pro-China guy does the same thing and gets away with it then we can start talking. But that did not happen, furthermore the rules are pretty clear and he knew in advance that doing what he did could get him in trouble. I respect that, he delivered his message, that is a win at a personal cost for him. The newscasters also knew the rules and didn't act as the company expected and they got fired, nothing to see here. Blizzard and most sports and e-sports organizations have a strong policy in this regard so this should come as no surprise to anyone.

And quite frankly I prefer Blizzard to act this way than them doing nothing because then every single e-sports event will become a platform where anyone can start making political discourses. And I am pretty sure that would go downhill pretty fast.

Anyways expecting a company, any company to be be the shield that protects freedom from whoever... well that is really naive. It is bad enough to see how big media conglomerates nowadays are simple tools for the political parties that control them. A company that says "no politics" is the best we can expect.

A company that says "no politics" is the best we can expect. - If this is what was happening sure, but it isn't. The fact that we are even talking about it means they mishandled it; their stock is down over 2% when everything else is up, and they're dealing with employee walkouts and protests. By doing what they did, they took a side against free speech; whether they intended to or not.

I see your point of view, but at the same time this was all a huge miscalculation on their part. Companies do have social obligations that they are held to, and when they fail those, it destroys shareholder value.

Last edited:

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
I broke my authenticator by "tapping it" very hard ... with a hammer. Also used a box-cutter to destroy every CD and DVD i had from Blizzard.

Reason: they banned me for playing @ all hours, which tends to happen when you work in rotating shifts, accusing me of using "automated programs". I tend to react rather badly when i'm accused of doing something i didn't do.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
Don't worry. If you want Blizzard to delete your account, you'll need to provide proof of a government issued ID before they'll close out your account and delete out all your info.

I wonder if they still have my info back from the day when WoW released and I played for about the first 3 months.......?

Fabel

A company that says "no politics" is the best we can expect. - If this is what was happening sure, but it isn't. The fact that we are even talking about it means they mishandled it; their stock is down over 2% when everything else is up, and they're dealing with employee walkouts and protests. By doing what they did, they took a side against free speech; whether they intended to or not.

I see your point of view, but at the same time this was all a huge miscalculation on their part. Companies do have social obligations that are held to, and when they fail those, it destroys shareholder value.
We are talking of this because we are in the era of the SJW, were judgement is to be delivered without fact checking in the most knee jerk reaction possible. And stocks react to whatever is in the news and have no meaning, at all.

We are talking about this because there is a strong political movement weaponizing the news, exactly the same that is doing their rival. For the case in point doesn't even matter who is right or wrong, who is David or Goliath, Blizzard just got caught in between.

By doing what Blizzard did, they took a side against free speech, which is not their duty to protect. They did what they had to do, because even for free speech there is a place and it is not an e-sports event. They could have handled this way better tho, but in the end it was a foregone conclusion. So yeah, people is delusional if they think there was any other possible answer.

I applaud HK supporters for finding ways to get relevant to a world quite autistic however there is no point in demonizing a company that just did what had to do.
I am way more concerned about Apple banning apps for very dubious and one-sided reasons.

ErnstInEarnest

Yes, games shall not mingle with politics.
Throw Blizzchung out of the tournament is fine, BUT 2 casters fired and prize money rescind is Overreacting!
They screw up big time.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Problem is, Blizz is knee-deep in China affairs.
The collab with NetEase and Tensent, the franchising of Chinese OWL teams. Blizzard wants that Chinese money hard.

Yeah Timcast just don't a video on that.

Fabel

Yes, games shall not mingle with politics.
Throw Blizzchung out of the tournament is fine, BUT 2 casters fired and prize money rescind is Overreacting!
They screw up big time.
Hmm it is hard to say what mas the minimum amount possible of punishment or what are the conditions on the contracts players sign.
From what I know the firing isn't due to what Blizzchung did but to how they handled it. Somehow I think they made things worse for everyone but I might be wrong.
I am sure Blizzard got a lot of pressure from China for this, so it is hard to know what their options really were.

Wrong. U go against Free Speech meaning u are against the principle/core value of which the whole society is built upon.
" Don't forget - EVERY VOICE MATTERS"
Which society? Surely not China right? And we are talking about China here, like it or not. Blizzard has to comply, there is not such thing as an option.
Follow the rules or close the doors, those are the only two options. What do you really expect Blizzard to do?

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Tim nailed it. Lol.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Seems Blizzard has given up on places of earth that are not China. What happened to the PR department, did they get locked in the broom closet while their bosses are sucking Xi dry?

Now I understand why all the Blizzard founders jumped off the ship in so little time.

That is fine, Blizzard will learn very fast Chinese markets change very fast, and competition changes very fast. They will miss their American loyal customers in due time, expect an apology from them in about two years ;)

diablo mobile was the last nail, they ain't coming back

mobile is a saturated market and they already lost their brand loyalty now. i expect diablo 3 to not be profitable enough in China or USA. :D

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11

-Blizzard-Activision China

Yep... just a company trying to keep politics out of e sports folks. No Chinese propaganda here. Just upholding the pride of our country.

Edit:
Update quote, posted before this whole thing blew up:

Last edited:

ErnstInEarnest

Hmm it is hard to say what mas the minimum amount possible of punishment or what are the conditions on the contracts players sign.
From what I know the firing isn't due to what Blizzchung did but to how they handled it. Somehow I think they made things worse for everyone but I might be wrong.
I am sure Blizzard got a lot of pressure from China for this, so it is hard to know what their options really were.

Which society? Surely not China right? And we are talking about China here, like it or not. Blizzard has to comply, there is not such thing as an option.
Follow the rules or close the doors, those are the only two options. What do you really expect Blizzard to do?
Exactly! When China (or any other huge market) gets involved u just bend yourselves over? Where are your principles?
What u said is EXACTLY why ppl are furious about!