• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blu-Ray audio on PC is just static

System Name Chachamaru-IV | Retro Battlestation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Intel Pentium II 450MHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | MSI MS-6116 (Intel 440BX chipset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000 (16-20-20-38) | 512MB PC133 SDRAM
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 FE | 3dfx Voodoo3 3000
Storage 1TB WD_Black SN850 NVME SSD (OS), Toshiba 3TB (Storage), Toshiba 3TB (Steam)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 27" @ 1440p144 & Dell P2312H @ 1080p60
Case SilverStone Seta A1 | Beige box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Speakers), Creative Zen Hybrid headset | Sound Blaster AWE64
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | 250W ASETEC
Mouse Roccat Kone Air| Microsoft Serial Mouse v2.0A
Keyboard Vortex Race3 | Dell AT102W
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro | Microsoft Windows 98SE
I'm trying to watch my Battlestar Galactica Blu-Rays on my PC, using Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra HD 7.3 (fully updated). It plays the audio on the menus fine, and the audio for the Universal logo at the start of every episode, but as soon as the episode itself starts playing I get a loud buzzing noise which is then replaced by static. The audio commentary track works fine. I figure it's something to do with my onboard Realtek HD Audio, as it worked fine when I had my X-Fi card installed. Someone on the Cyberlink forums who had the same problem was told it was due to DTS not being supported by their soundcard, so I tried the cracked Realtek drivers found here but did not have any improvement. Do I need to go back to my X-Fi or another Creative card I have? I stopped using it because the drivers were buggy and kept flaking out on me.

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
I'm trying to watch my Battlestar Galactica Blu-Rays on my PC, using Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra HD 7.3 (fully updated). It plays the audio on the menus fine, and the audio for the Universal logo at the start of every episode, but as soon as the episode itself starts playing I get a loud buzzing noise which is then replaced by static. The audio commentary track works fine. I figure it's something to do with my onboard Realtek HD Audio, as it worked fine when I had my X-Fi card installed. Someone on the Cyberlink forums who had the same problem was told it was due to DTS not being supported by their soundcard, so I tried the cracked Realtek drivers found here but did not have any improvement. Do I need to go back to my X-Fi or another Creative card I have? I stopped using it because the drivers were buggy and kept flaking out on me.

Usually happens if the movie player is set to SPDIF or digital out or HDMI-Audio when you're using an analogue speaker setup. Make sure SPDIF or digital out or HDMI-Audio out is unselected both in the drivers, the media player's settings and DVD menu setting itself.

If you don't have a home theatre system you can't use DTS or Dolby Digital. So selecting any of the above mentioned connections won't work and can cause distortion. You need to select PCM or stereo within the DVD menu and the media player if available.

Those cracked realtek driver is to enable encoding of non DTS/DD audio into DTS/DD audio in real-time for games and music. Blu-ray or DVDs tend to have DD/DTs encoded already on the disc that feature won't work, also you need digital cables and a home theatre system anyways.

PS. If you are using a digital connection and a home theatre system and hearing distortion then its usually a unsupported audio format. But DTS is common so it could be a codec / media player / sound card issue.

Last edited:
System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
No thank you or appreciation or sign of engagement? Took a long time to write that solution.

@Dent1, Red_Machine may have moved on, but 7 years on time, Sterben's got your back on appreciation.