1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

blue LEDs to White

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by AsphyxiA, Dec 9, 2009.

1. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA

Thanks Received:
    I have a Razer copperhead and want to change the color to white LEDs.

1. This one seems relatively easy easy to do, is this a 3mm LED though? Lights the mouse wheel.
    [​IMG]

2. i have circled three free connectors, could I put some 3mm or 5mm LEDs? Anyway to replace the LED at the front (the white thingy) with a standard LED?
    [​IMG]

3.The icon LED. It dims and brightens smoothly. It is a very small LED, which should I use?
    [​IMG]

any help is appreciated as always!

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    Do you have a soldering iron and a multimeter? I would think a soldering iron is necessary and the multimeter is really helpful.

Ideally, you would find out what voltage the LED is getting. Then find out the forward voltage of your LED. If they're within .3v or so, you can just swap them. If the current LED gets more voltage than your replacement one, than you can use a resistor to lower the voltage. If it's higher, the new LED may be dim.

As for the 2nd pic. A multimeter would be handy so you can find out what kind of voltage there is between those points. After you know that, just do what I said a second ago.

Same thing with the 3rd LED. I know that one is small, but you can use a larger LED if it physically fits. But electrically, as long as the specs work, you're fine.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  3. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA

Thanks Received:
    ive only done simple soldering with my guitar electronics. What settings do I need to setup with the volt meter?

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Blue leds are about 2.4V, white are 3.3V. Set the meter to DC.

angelkiller says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    my volt-meter allows me to set 200mV, 2, 20, 200 and 1000. so i'd set it to 20 meaning that i'd get a good reading within 20V. if i'd set it to just 2V then anything above 2 would be off the scale. and yes, the highlighted LED IS a 3mm one. if you don't have any, check eBay, they usually have good prices for packs of 25 or so, also if you want more info re: resistors, check my sig. good luck!

d3fct says thanks.