• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blue Screen Problems

BinaryMage

System Name Igne Mortis
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro LGA775
Memory 4GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066
Video Card(s) ASUS HD4850 TOP
Storage Seagate 500GB
Display(s) Dual 1280x1024
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Antec NeoPower 550
Hello all. I have been plagued with frequent BSODs on my main computer. (see system specs for details) I am getting "Page Fault in Nonpaged Area", or the 0x50 stop error, blue-screens.
What I read on Google suggested that this blue-screen indicated a memory or hard drive error. I ran memtest86+, which passed, and chkdsk, which found no problems. I took all of my components down to stock clocks, and that didn't help. Does anyone have any experience or advice as to what I should try next?

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
How long did you let memtest run for? I would let it run overnight. Did you try running something like Intel Burn Test? It sounds like you took the steps I would suggest. I had that same motherboard (and E8400) and when I had that BSOD it was always memory related.

BinaryMage

System Name Igne Mortis
Storage Seagate 500GB
Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
System Name KILLER
Processor Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard MSI Z87 G45 Gaming
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x8GB Gskill 2400mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980
Storage SSD Samsung 500GB
Display(s) 24" Asus 144hz
Case Cooler Master HAF
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Platinum
Power Supply Antec 1200 Watt Modular
Software Windows 10 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Vantage 51342
Try running it with 1 memory stick and see if it still does it.
If so try the next one and so on.

System Name Akame
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-4770K 3.5Ghz /// (Stock)
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus VI HERO Intel Z87 Socket 1150
Cooling Stock Air Cooler
Memory 16Gb (4x4Gb) /// G Skill PC3-19200 DDR3 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC GAMING ACX 2.0
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB (OS) /// Samsung 840 EVO 250GB /// Western Digital Caviar 1TB Green SATAIII
Display(s) Asus 22-inch VH226H Widescreen LCD Monitor (2ms, 3000:1, 1920x1080) Full HD
Case Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
Audio Device(s) Astro A50 Gen1
Power Supply Corsair AX760W Full Modular 80+ Platinum
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO
Keyboard AFX MK0217 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Hello all. I have been plagued with frequent BSODs on my main computer. (see system specs for details) I am getting "Page Fault in Nonpaged Area", or the 0x50 stop error, blue-screens.
What I read on Google suggested that this blue-screen indicated a memory or hard drive error. I ran memtest86+, which passed, and chkdsk, which found no problems. I took all of my components down to stock clocks, and that didn't help. Does anyone have any experience or advice as to what I should try next?

Hey mate, sorry to hear you're having a BSOD error, lets hope we can get you to the bottom of it! :)

Have you tried or been able to load Safe-Mode up? (F8 just after POST)? Also have you added new hardware or installed any recent driver updates at all?

Considering the tests you've tried, I'm going to assume it's a situation I tend to see at the Computer Clinic I work at part time, in the cases I've found BSOD occurrences, I've often found that it's driver-based errors, graphics drivers the majority of the times. If you can load safe-mode, you can roll back the recent drivers, if not then either a system restore or a reinstallation of windows tends to be the way.

People may have other ways around it but I tend to just go for a straight reinstallation if safe-mode and driver rollbacks don't work out.

How long did you let memtest run for? I would let it run overnight. Did you try running something like Intel Burn Test? It sounds like you took the steps I would suggest. I had that same motherboard (and E8400) and when I had that BSOD it was always memory related.

I don't mean to be harsh or sound it mate, but you don't really need more than one pass of memtest, a full pass should be more than ample really, as bad or faulty memory spits out errors more or less from the get-go. BSOD tend to normally be driver based errors, most BSOD I get at the computer shop mostly relate to operating system faults (drivers :)) -- Generally a re-install or restore repairs it, next to that is memory :)

--Lee

BinaryMage

System Name Igne Mortis
Storage Seagate 500GB
Try running it with 1 memory stick and see if it still does it.
If so try the next one and so on.

I ran memtest86+ on each of my sticks individually and they all passed.

Hey mate, sorry to hear you're having a BSOD error, lets hope we can get you to the bottom of it! :)

Have you tried or been able to load Safe-Mode up? (F8 just after POST)? Also have you added new hardware or installed any recent driver updates at all?

Considering the tests you've tried, I'm going to assume it's a situation I tend to see at the Computer Clinic I work at part time, in the cases I've found BSOD occurrences, I've often found that it's driver-based errors, graphics drivers the majority of the times. If you can load safe-mode, you can roll back the recent drivers, if not then either a system restore or a reinstallation of windows tends to be the way.

People may have other ways around it but I tend to just go for a straight reinstallation if safe-mode and driver rollbacks don't work out.

My computer can boot, and it runs fine for awhile; it just blue-screens at the seemingly most inconvenient moments. I actually have reinstalled Windows, partially for other reasons, but I had BSOD issues both before and after. Videocard driver updates have also done nothing. Maybe an evil spirit lives inside my computer...

System Name Akame
Cooling Stock Air Cooler
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB (OS) /// Samsung 840 EVO 250GB /// Western Digital Caviar 1TB Green SATAIII
Display(s) Asus 22-inch VH226H Widescreen LCD Monitor (2ms, 3000:1, 1920x1080) Full HD
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO
My computer can boot, and it runs fine for awhile; it just blue-screens at the seemingly most inconvenient moments. I actually have reinstalled Windows, partially for other reasons, but I had BSOD issues both before and after. Videocard driver updates have also done nothing. Maybe an evil spirit lives inside my computer...

Do you have anything like Norton installed on the system you're running? Also do you have any other memory modules you can try to run as a process of elimination?

--Lee

BinaryMage

System Name Igne Mortis
Storage Seagate 500GB
Do you have anything like Norton installed on the system you're running? Also do you have any other memory modules you can try to run as a process of elimination?

--Lee

No Norton, I have ESET Smart Security. As for memory modules, I initially had 4 2GB modules installed. That blue-screened & failed memtest. Tested all of them individually; they all passed. Took one out, tryed the four possible combinations of three others. That didn't work. Finally switched to 2 2GB modules; that worked for awhile, but now I'm having BSODs again. I wonder if something is wrong with my motherboard...

System Name KILLER
Processor Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard MSI Z87 G45 Gaming
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x8GB Gskill 2400mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980
Storage SSD Samsung 500GB
Display(s) 24" Asus 144hz
Case Cooler Master HAF
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Platinum
Power Supply Antec 1200 Watt Modular
Software Windows 10 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Vantage 51342
Have you tried reformating your harddrive with fresh install?
I would try that before i rmaed my board.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
IMO, it is the memory you are using.

I have a Gigabyte GA-x48-DS4 and it hated the OCZ memory and I changed to GSkill sticks and never had anymore problems. The memory would pass every test I threw at it.

I would get the same messages as the OP and random blue screens. The would not OC worth a cr*p. GSkills = trouble gone.

If you google around... you find others with the same trouble and over at OCZ they will help, but eventually they will say - It is your motherboard! But, mine is still cookin'. They were wrong.

Anyway, I ramble: try this thread for some info... Best Timings for Asus P5Q! --> NOW UD3P!! or try some different ram.:)

Don't take this post wrong; as, I don't believe there is anything wrong with OCZ or Gigabyte. It just seems to be a incompatible combination in some instances.

BinaryMage

System Name Igne Mortis
Storage Seagate 500GB
Have you tried reformating your harddrive with fresh install?
I would try that before i rmaed my board.

RMA isn't an option; it's out of warranty. I did a fresh install, as I mentioned earlier, and that did not fix the problem. Even if it had, it still doesn't explain the weird memory behavior.

IMO, it is the memory you are using.

I have a Gigabyte GA-x48-DS4 and it hated the OCZ memory and I changed to GSkill sticks and never had anymore problems. The memory would pass every test I threw at it.

I would get the same messages as the OP and random blue screens. The would not OC worth a cr*p. GSkills = trouble gone.

If you google around... you find others with the same trouble and over at OCZ they will help, but eventually they will say - It is your motherboard! But, mine is still cookin'. They were wrong.

Anyway, I ramble: try this thread for some info... Best Timings for Asus P5Q! --> NOW UD3P!! or try some different ram.:)

Don't take this post wrong; as, I don't believe there is anything wrong with OCZ or Gigabyte. It just seems to be a incompatible combination in some instances.

Thanks, that's useful. Question: That thread seems to suggest that 2.1V is correct for these modules. Is that the case? My BIOS has them at 1.8V, and 2.1V seems like it would be too much of an increase.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try them at 2.0 at first. Or, bump them a little at a time to see if it will go stable.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
RMA isn't an option; it's out of warranty. I did a fresh install, as I mentioned earlier, and that did not fix the problem. Even if it had, it still doesn't explain the weird memory behavior.

Thanks, that's useful. Question: That thread seems to suggest that 2.1V is correct for these modules. Is that the case? My BIOS has them at 1.8V, and 2.1V seems like it would be too much of an increase.

there rated to 2.1v 1.8 is WAYYY to low for 1066

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
System Name Akame
Cooling Stock Air Cooler
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO
there rated to 2.1v 1.8 is WAYYY to low for 1066

I must admit, I skipped this question, I used to use Corsair XMS3 now using Kingston, the XMS3 didn't like 1.5v one bit, they needed to be set at 1.8v, though with the trouble I had with them, it just did my head in.

From what the other folks have said here, I'd definitely try upping the voltage to the rated 2.1v incrementally mate, although I would also recommend using another branded or value memory module just to eliminate the modules themselves.

As another said, OCZ are a good brand, I like them myself personally and had no trouble what so ever, though there has been a case where I found out today that a client had major trouble like you and he used OCZ memory modules, his problems all went away by swapping to Kingston. I'm not trying to get you to use Kingston, all I'm saying is that I would highly recommend trying a different brand of memory, as have others stated also :)

It's the only way you are really going to eliminate the memory modules.

pagefaults = memory

+1 :)

BinaryMage, is there any chance of an update maybe? Hope we can get you sorted as soon as possible! :)

--Lee

BinaryMage

System Name Igne Mortis
Storage Seagate 500GB
I must admit, I skipped this question, I used to use Corsair XMS3 now using Kingston, the XMS3 didn't like 1.5v one bit, they needed to be set at 1.8v, though with the trouble I had with them, it just did my head in.

From what the other folks have said here, I'd definitely try upping the voltage to the rated 2.1v incrementally mate, although I would also recommend using another branded or value memory module just to eliminate the modules themselves.

As another said, OCZ are a good brand, I like them myself personally and had no trouble what so ever, though there has been a case where I found out today that a client had major trouble like you and he used OCZ memory modules, his problems all went away by swapping to Kingston. I'm not trying to get you to use Kingston, all I'm saying is that I would highly recommend trying a different brand of memory, as have others stated also :)

It's the only way you are really going to eliminate the memory modules.

+1 :)

BinaryMage, is there any chance of an update maybe? Hope we can get you sorted as soon as possible! :)

--Lee

Thank you guys very much, this is super helpful. I will kick the voltage on my RAM modules up to 2.1V and see if that solves the problem.

EDIT: Running @ 2.0V. Didn't want to risk damaging the modules. Hopefully this will work! Thanks again everyone!

EDIT #2: Alas, that did not fix my problem; another blue screen occurred. Any other ideas?

Last edited: