• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

blurry and sandy image in all games

AroxBey

Internal Render resolution is lower; TAA, FXAA...huge number of possibilities here. But again, images look fine. If anything these are wrong settings.

FSR? Anything like a global setting that lowers render resolution is suspect; maybe you target a certain FPS and it dynamically lowers quality.

As for film grain, I dont see this anywhere in your shots.
IMO, some of those screenshots look vaguely blurry (zoomed close on my phone), but nothing that isn't entirely explained by game settings and resolution. On screen text and UI elements are pin-sharp, which means if there is excessive unsharpness it's a rendering thing. The first two screenshots look perfectly fine, while the latter two are marginally blurry - but there's also a question of visual style that plays into this, as not all games aim for a very sharp image. Uncharted seems to use some form of lens distortion/chromatic aberration filter that makes the sides of the screen look slightly unsharp, but that's a stylistic choice - it's a game that goes for an Indiana Jones-like old film look. GoW just looks slightly low resolution. Are you running any kind of resolution scaling? It's worth playing around with post processing settings to see if any of those change anything. Obviously also see if there are any driver-level global settings enabled that could affect this.
I uploaded a video on YouTube. Can you check it out?
Clearly visible at 3:56
By the way, there are stutters in the video. Normally there is no stuttering

Disable adrenalin. There's a setting that I found does no good. I forget what it's called but I actually disabled adrenalin altogether.

it does not work

System Name Ultimate Vortex III
Processor Intel Core i7-9700K
Motherboard Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI GENE
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8Gb) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16
Video Card(s) Asus RX5700-8G Radeon RX 5700
Storage 2 x WD Blue SN550 1Tb NVMe in RAID 0 Striped Set
Display(s) TUF Gaming VG279QL1A 165 Hz
Case Cooler Master MasterBox Pro 5 ARGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Coolermaster Silent Pro 850W
Mouse Corsair RGB
Keyboard K70 Rapidfire with Cherry MX Speed
Software Windows 11 Pro x64

it does not work
Try different RAM? Your video card is better than mine (Asus RX 5700). 5500u could be a bottleneck too.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed/-130mV undervolt'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
Dunno, those pics and the video looks normal to me given the resolution and possibly game settings/by design.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

it does not work
Stop repeating what we already know and rather start looking for solutions / sharing information on what settings you're using.

You are one non-responsive post away from me calling you troll material by now. I think we've been abundantly clear. Your shit runs fine, and blur is going to be either up to your monitor, the combination of monitor diagonal/resolution, your personal opinion, or system settings.

I've already referred to system settings. Your personal opinion is right now on top of my mind being the primary issue. There are no software/hardware issues here. No artifacting. No blur, no grain. Sorry mate, but I've seen a million posts like yours, its either simple or its a PEBCAK issue. The overwhelming majority has no issues even just using a PC as a plug and play console: install app, press start. go.

As for the video, the very first thing that stands out is your framerate. It is horribly low. You are obviously trying to run games at settings way beyond your GPU capability here (what is it there, 20 FPS?). That on its own is a recipe for random problems. Dial down settings. And that conclusion supports my earlier post: if you run dynamic/adaptive type of settings, you will see anomalies because the GPU is just too slow to run the content proper.

And at 3:56 , you are hitting a button that caused you to take a screenshot, which is where you get a massive stutter ;) Video stutter is another sign you are asking too much of your hardware, if it doesn't show ingame, you've not got the performance to do both smoothly - and that is even with the game running at a horrible FPS.

I got it. FSR always close. FPS stabilization in uncharted at 120 by the way God of War really has no blur? Is it just me?
Recent games also have sliders in game settings that tweak render resolution. Especially console ports. FPS stabilization in uncharted at 120? Disable it. That's exactly the thing. The game can never stabilize at 120 if it can't reach that FPS.

I remember Resident Evil (the reboot). The basic setting gave me something like a 720i actual render resolution (blurfest!), maxing out the internal render resolution slider in that game eventually gives you the actual native res. Its silly, but yeah, consoles gotta run content right.

Last edited:
Mouse Corsair RGB
I was thinking PEBCAK too but didn't want to say it. Thanks for stepping up to the plate.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Isn't this blurry?

Like others, I looked at the text elements in your screenshots. They are crisp and well defined so there's nothing wrong with your graphics card. The second image you posted looks particularly sharp based on the detail of the ceiling decoration. The amount of aliasing seems normal for an image rendered at 1920x800p resolution.

If you are happy with the display's appearance in non-gaming applications then it points to your choice of graphics settings in the individual games or possibly some sort of Adrenalin setting that is enabled while you are gaming but not when you are using ordinary applications.

Low quality post by AroxBey

AroxBey

And at 3:56 , you are hitting a button that caused you to take a screenshot, which is where you get a massive stutter ;) Video stutter is another sign you are asking too much of your hardware, if it doesn't show ingame, you've not got the performance to do both smoothly - and that is even with the game running at a horrible FPS.
Dude, there are stutters in the video. no in-game low fps. original settings in god of war for rx6600 is not normal? how can i push the hardware?
Sorry mate, but I've seen a million posts like yours, its either simple or its a PEBCAK issue. The overwhelming majority has no issues even just using a PC as a plug and play console: install app, press start. go.
What is PEBCAK.

Mouse Corsair RGB
I'll be glad to answer your question.

problem exists between chair and keyboard

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
FPS stabilization in uncharted at 120
FPS stabilization is variable resolution scaling - it stabilizes your FPS by reducing the render resolution (and then upscaling it to match the output resolution) in more demanding scenes/when the FPS drops. So if you're doing this, and especially if you're doing this aimed at 120fps, then you're likely not rendering anywhere near native resolution in a relatively demanding scene. The soft look of that Uncharted vista (but the text and UI being pin-sharp) perfectly matches that being the case.
If there are stutters only in the video and not in gameplay, then your screen capture is misconfigured somehow. How did you capture this, and how was it encoded? ReLive? OBS? Something else? CPU encoding, GPU encoding, hardware accelerated encoding?

As for sharpness: that looks perfect. For 1080p, especially 1080p that has gone through first an encoding pass, then YouTube's compression, that looks pin-sharp, perfectly detailed. Great specular highlights, great, sharp, non-aliased dark lines in contrasted areas. The bark on that birch tree looks great.

My guess: you're probably mostly unhappy with your monitor. Maybe it has a particularly aggressive matte coating? If you're looking at a pure white screen (say, a blank text document), do you see any "sparkle" or grainyness in the white? My Dell Ultrasharp does that - it doesn't bother me, and I'm used to it, but it's notoriously soft due to its very aggressive anti-glare coating.

But also: make sure that you're rendering at native resolution, not enabling resolution scaling, not enabling FPS stabilization, not enabling any kind of resolution trickery whatsoever.

brutalame

FPS stabilization is variable resolution scaling : That's your problem, the game become blurry when it's need to lower the resolution. Lower your setting and disable FPS stabilization and you should be fine.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
It's either some sort of image reconstruction (FSR, DLSS) or it's the effect of temporal anti-aliasing being used (which causes slight blurring of the image). On top of that plenty of games add their own effects to make the image more film like.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Lastly, would you look at this photo?
I took a picture of the monitor with my phone.
Maybe there's something wrong with the monitor.
https://ibb.co/R6h2ZXB

Looks good to me.

I focused my attention on a section of the screen with high detail in the texture mapping, the ornamental elements (relief panels) in the building:

detail.jpg

and I don't see anything out of ordinary.

It's a 1080p monitor right? You still haven't bothered to list your System Specs.

Texture map detail is fine, anti-aliasing is working. Color levels are well balanced, plenty of contrast.

Last edited:
System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Lastly, would you look at this photo?
I took a picture of the monitor with my phone.
Maybe there's something wrong with the monitor.
https://ibb.co/R6h2ZXB
Looks fine to me. There's some motion blur on the character model, which is pretty much a given. As the post above points out, the sharply detailed textures are rendered and shown as sharp. Towards the edges of the screen you have some defocus/lens blur effects from post-processing, which is a part of the game's visual style.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Working as designed.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
Shadows look grainy in Call of Duty MW.
https://imgur.com/a/ResovW5

Didn't you already have a thread about this stuff where nobody else saw any issues?

MW19 and MW22 have Film Grain setting, as well as Film grain in antialiasing (MW19's Filmic AA). Turn it down and switch to FXAA if you don't like what it does to shadows.

AroxBey

Didn't you already have a thread about this stuff where nobody else saw any issues?

MW19 and MW22 have Film Grain setting, as well as Film grain in antialiasing (MW19's Filmic AA). Turn it down and switch to FXAA if you don't like what it does to shadows.
Switching to Filmic SMAA T2X solved the problem.