• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bonjour-lab project : 5 multipurposed workstations

Hello,

I've been commisioned by my brother to build 5 identical workstations, with baseline capacity of realtime 3d rendering, and powerfull enough to handle your typical busydays workload.

Bonjour is a young creative studio based in Paris/France, specialized in projects at the intersection of artistic installation, technological innovation and interactivity. The team focuses most of its efforts on generative design (both graphic & sound), human/machine interaction and tangible media, which lead Bonjour to create cross-domain experiences & interactions.

http://www.bonjour-lab.com

After discussing the minimum specs and whatnot, then refining several times my shopping cart to fit both bill and stock availability, i came with the following parts :

• Graphics: PNY Quadro K2000 (VCQK2000-PB)
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 4590
  • Pc Case: Fractal Design Core 3000 - USB 3.0 Edition
  • Power supply: FSP Fortron Raider S - 550W
  • Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 - 120 Go
  • Motherboard: Asus H97-PRO
  • Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP DDR3 2 x 4 Go PC12800 CAS9
  • Wireless connectivity: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I Wifi N, Wifi AC and Bluetooth 4.0 LE

Those computers will handle everyday's workload at their office, and will also be relocated at customer's site (such has museums, cultural happenings, mall, etc....) when needed.

I choosed to buy some decent looking low profile memory sticks, eventhough i'm not worried by those aftermarket's heatsinks ram clearance, since i'll be using the Intel stock cooler.

Storage capacity wasn't all that important, some basic 200Mb/s read/write speed + the SSD's typical high IOPS are just fine to boot WIndows Seven Pro x64. Should the need arise, some additionnal drives can be added later.

Again, a jake of all trade CPU, more on the good side though.

Nvidia's Quadro serie was mandatory from the beginning, and given the hefty price for one of those entry level Profesionnal GPUs ( we're talking about 440euros !), i went for the K2000.

I was looking for some midrange Silver 80+ PSU, and found this one to be quite affordable (too bad it's not modular though)

I didn't have to dig too much to find the H97-Pro, basically this LGA1150 board has every modern features, (large USB2/3 pool, multiple onboard analog and digital outputs, some decent 7.1 audio chipset, 6 sata6G ports, 1 PCI-E 3.0 16x, an onboard M.2 slot)

The wireless aspect should not be ashamed, with a 802.11ac dual band WIFI + bluetooth 4.0 PCI-E card and its magnetised external antenna. I look forward in providing extended wireless capacity to those computers, not only for typical wifi use, but also in a adhoc configuration to link them together on some special occasions.

Last but not least, i was looking for a case with maximum air flow, and found fractal-design Core3000 to be exactely what i wanted : the whole front panel is made of a metallic mesh and has a 140mm /1000RPM /15Db / 0,3A intake fan attached to it, same goes for outake fan on the roof top, and a 3rd 120mm /1200RPM outake fan attached on the back.

My deadline is around August 17th, my brother will be back in my town from Paris to take delivery of the computers, and if everything goes according to plans (ie no defective parts) we should go back to Paris together, in order to give him and his associate a grand tour of their newly built rigs.

i should post again pretty soon when more photos are available. Thanks for watching this thread !

More photos of the parts unpacked :

The USB cable has to be connected to a F_USB header on the motherboard in order to provide Bluetooth connectivity

No less than seven 3,5" hdd caddies are available ( 6 x white, and the 7th is located near the top of case, and comes in the form of a 5,25" to 3,5" black adapter, as seen 2 pictures aboves)

SSDs have not been forgotten : there's also 2,5" mouting holes on each white HDD caddy.

A pretty neat fan controller, designed to handle the 120mm and the two 140mm chassis fans. Each fan is rated at 0,3A.

That's it for the unboxing, as you can see there will be a lot of work ahead !!

Last edited:
First thing first : i went into the UEFI bios and modified a significant amount of settings, such as the chassis fans control method (DC instead of PWM), mass storage controller setting (switched to AHCI), enabled virtualisation technology and the simultaneous use of onboard video chipset together with the discrete Quadro GPU, etc....

I really liked the possibility to dump all those settings into a single .CMOS file to a FAT32 key for later use, this way i won't miss any settings for the other 4 computers to go.

PSU and SSD mounted in the case

CPU and memory put into place

I've had a hard time adjusting the motherboard due to the rear panel being coated with 2mm thick foam coating (what Asus called Q-shield): the motherboard mounting holes wouldn't align with the 6 tray stands. Technically you need to hold the case firmly with your left hand, then push the motherboard (with strength !) with your right hand against the rear panel until the holes coaxes, and....a third hand to hold your screwdriver :)

At that point, the motherboard and the aditionnal cards are installed, and the major data & power cables are already plugged.

I tried various ways to manage all the smaller cables and found this to be the most convenient, while the larger section cables are to be tied behind the motherboard tray.

This is the last step before putting the side panels back in place.

and a closer look from behind

What's left to do now is to install the operating system + drivers, and ask ninite to install a wide choice of softwares. Then i should be able to clone this installation for the other 4 PCs.

Remaining credits : 4 out of 5 B)

Last edited:
Ok, the operating system and all softwares have been installed succesfully, and a full backup has been performed on the second partition of the SSD.

Next, i used an external WinPE 3 bootable hardrive and a copy of Symantec ghost64 11.5.1 to clone the SSD. The resulting ghost image is approximately 30GB (that's the boot partition + the OS partition + the backup partition). It took 35 mins to create it.

Deploying this image to the other SSDs takes only 20 mins per SSD, using an e-SATA dock.

So far everything went well with the hardware i bought, i've had a slight issue with one of the fans controller that was dead on arrival, a support ticket has been created and i'm waiting for someone over at fractal-design to acknowledge the problem, and hopefully get a replacement for the faulty controller.

I'd still recommend fractal-design cases, everything else met my expectations.

Thanks for watching this thread, feel free to leave a comment about whatever you want !:lovetpu:

Last edited:
System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Good idea with imaging, one bonus of identical hw

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Just a tip: make sure the firmware is up to date on those Kingston SSDs. I have seen some issues with ones that aren't.

I've been looking at putting a workstation together, but going AMD for CPU/GPU since AMD's pro cards are much cheaper for similar performance. And it's more of a 2D design oriented work load. What about the monitors for these systems?

Just a tip: make sure the firmware is up to date on those Kingston SSDs. I have seen some issues with ones that aren't.

Thanks for your suggestion, they already came up with the latest 525ABBF0 firmware. Guess what : those 5 SSDs have the newer (under-peforming) MLC asynchonous NAND, and the result is unmistakable :

I bought one of those SSD for my own rig 6-8 months ago, and the numbers speak for themselves :

I'm one the one to blame though, i knew what was going on before purchasing Kingston products.

I've been looking at putting a workstation together, but going AMD for CPU/GPU since AMD's pro cards are much cheaper for similar performance. And it's more of a 2D design oriented work load. What about the monitors for these systems?

It depends on the tasks the computer will be assigned. Studio works usually require no more than one or two 24", but several projects such as "l'expo trop fraiche", "Centre Blagnac" or "Magic Teddy" clearly need multiple screen outputs.

I know, the W5000 can support up to 6 screens on DP, I believe and out performs the K2000, most of the time, for around the same price. I was just curious if they're going with factory calibrated monitors or doing it themselves.