• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Boot failure after BIOS upgrade

dg2013

Hallo

I am new here and hoping I have chosen the right area to post in and that you can help me with this problem or at least understand it.

I have an ASUS M5A97 EVO motherboard ver 1.

I multiboot XP, Win 7 and 8 all on seperate hard drives (not partitions)

I have been having problems with explorer being slow to load in Win 8 and had read that updating the BIOS might help. Accordingly I downloaded the lastest BIOS from ASUS and updated it from the BIOS interface.

That all went smoothly but on rebooting it would not boot into the o/s. It went as far as the boot menu but none of the options would work all sending me back to run the repair from the o/s CD. I tried that but none were successful.

I then tried reverting to an earlier BIOS, in fact several but that did not change anything.

I have several system images and all of them installed but none would take me past the boot menu.

In the end I have had to re-install Win 7 from scratch which is a real pain and would prefer to reload my last image.

Having installed Win 7 the computer works fine so I am puzzled as to what the problem is. I did consider that it might have enabled secureboot but I don't think this m/b has it.

I would appreciate any suggestions

Thanks

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
Read the fax when updating bios. If the symptom is NOT in the fax, there is no reason to update the bios. Flash the bios back to the previous and see if you have the same issue

System Name Gamer/ HTPC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard ROG Crosshair VI
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer 420 AIO
Memory G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3333 CL14
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus RX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron 480 GB
Display(s) Samsung 42" 1080p
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Power Supply Corsair 750
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/johan45/
Did you check to see if the bios had changed from IDE to AHCI, that would carry through to all your images if the system was in IDE previously and the new BIOS was set to AHCI

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
Did you check to see if the bios had changed from IDE to AHCI, that would carry through to all your images if the system was in IDE previously and the new BIOS was set to AHCI

Great call!

dg2013

Thanks to All for the replies.

As I said in my post I have tried going back to earlier BIOS releases and it did not improve anything.

Also tried changing from AHCI to IDE and the disk still boots. Did not try that with the old image though. Would have thought that it would have prevented me from booting into the new install. From memory I am pretty sure that it was set as AHCI.

Thanks

System Name Gamer/ HTPC
Power Supply Corsair 750
Software Win10 Pro
it'll work going from AHCI to IDE but they won't work going from IDE to AHCI. If the bios was initially set to IDE when the images were made the AHCI drivers aren't installed and system won't boot if the BIOS is changed after unless the registry is changed to activate the AHCI drivers. Prior to the BIOS change
EDIT: It would be fairly easy to check. Just switch the setting ti IDE in your current BIOS and see if the image will boot.

Last edited:

dg2013

it'll work going from AHCI to IDE but they won't work going from IDE to AHCI. If the bios was initially set to IDE when the images were made the AHCI drivers aren't installed and system won't boot if the BIOS is changed after unless the registry is changed to activate the AHCI drivers. Prior to the BIOS change
EDIT: It would be fairly easy to check. Just switch the setting ti IDE in your current BIOS and see if the image will boot.

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately none of the options have worked. Can only surmise that the BIOS changed more than I am aware of.

I did have EasyBCD installed and wondered if that might have been an issue.

All of the images I have would install but none of them would boot, even if I selected the individual drives.

In the end after wasting a lot of time trying to get it to work I resorted to re-installing Win 7. So I now have a running system on the latest BIOS. Guess I should leave well alone now.

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro

im glad that my z77 FTW board was set to AHCI be defualt, it was a process and a 1/2 to get it done on my SSD in my i5 2400 rig as i didnt know about AHCI at first and did the MS KB article to regedit it in after windows installation.

System Name Gamer/ HTPC
Power Supply Corsair 750
Software Win10 Pro
That's a bummer but at least you're up and running. Ya maybe a boot manager issue, don't know.