1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

booting from dvd

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by prescient, Jun 21, 2014.

1. prescient

prescient

Thanks Received:
    anyone can tell me the start up bios setting setup that would read the dvd boot drive ?
    i guess its lost there somewhere , its just new to me so much start up function .

2. patrico

patrico

Thanks Received:
    hiya, there should be a setting somewhere in the bios which says first/second/third boot device or boot sequence , you should be able to change the boot sequence to boot from DVD and youll boot up fine from there. Im not 100% sure what its called on your motherboard but it shouldnt be to far from that, once done change it back and alls good good luck m8

ps and im sure someone here knows exactly what the sequence is ;)

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    You can directly boot from dvd without entering bios. F10 key often used for boot menu. You can try other keys, look here

4. prescient

prescient

Thanks Received:
    yes but am trying to set bios to read dvd bios i know about that sequence thing am just trying to find it

5. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    The location will vary bios to bios, so its nothing we can pin point for you.

Look inside your motherboard's manual or find a PDF copy online.

6. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Having an Asus BIOS you should have a menu item that says BOOT, near the bottom should be a boot order...highlight the DVD drive and press PGUP until it is at the top of the list...at least that's how my Asus Z87 Pro bios works.

You should also refer to the manual for your mainboard as it should have a section dedicated to navigating your bios and where to find things within it.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. prescient

prescient

Thanks Received:
    yes i know all that but the rog has many futures at start up like fast boot , and other stuff about hardware reading and more ive been testing
    . ill see what i can find

8. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Most, if not all, Z87 boards have Fast Boot, and many many others that support secure UEFI booting. That's not an ROG specific setting. You have a specific BIOS for your specific board with some extra monitoring features, but even my Z87 Pro has most of the extra Asus tuning features that yours does. Where the ROG comes in is better build quality, cooling, warranty and sensors/monitoring/control.

Good luck on your search. I recommend you read up on your manual as suggested previously. If you have a more specific question so we don't tell you something you already know, we need more than what you feel needs changed for a bootable dvd drive as first boot option.

If you're needing help understanding UEFI bios, fast boot/secure boot and what-not, there are a few settings you can mess with. They should be explained and obvious (if your BIOS provides descriptions of many settings in a details box, my Pro does this so I'm sure your board does too.), if you set to boot to OS Drive only that should be the fastest boot option, but obviously will ignore your boot setup scheme a few tabs down (under the BOOT tab), unless you hit F10 (iirc). Again good luck on your search, google your mainboard and look for BIOS screenshots, read the MANUAL, keep it close by. Come back with more questions and let's see if we can't get ya sorted.

:toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. patrico

patrico

Thanks Received:
  10. prescient

prescient

Thanks Received:
    yes i have this next to me i just need to go check i got stuck in star citizen chat for 4 hours now and i cant stop