• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Brand new Asus P5E3 Deluxe Wifi-AP @n doesn't boot

Processor Intel Core i5 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8P67 R3
Cooling NOCTUA NH-U9B-SE2
Memory Corsair Dominator 8 Go (Kit 4 x 2 Go) DDR3-SDRAM PC12800 CL8 - CMP4GX3M2A1600C8
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 - VaporX - 1024 Mo GDDR5 - PCI-Express 2.0
Storage SSD Intel Postville
Display(s) HP 2207h
Case CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000
Power Supply Seasonic X-760
Software W7 x64
Hey try this maybe one of your sticks/slots have a problem. Take out one memory stick boot again. If it still occurs take out the other one and put the one you took out before back and boot again or...... or try putting them both with 1 slot spaces between them. Ex: Slots 1 and 3 / Slots 2 and 4 or Slots 1 and 4 / Slots 2 and 3. And also try booting with one stick each time in a different slot.

thanks again for your ideas, but I've already tried that.

Memory Corsair Dominator 8 Go (Kit 4 x 2 Go) DDR3-SDRAM PC12800 CL8 - CMP4GX3M2A1600C8
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 - VaporX - 1024 Mo GDDR5 - PCI-Express 2.0
Display(s) HP 2207h
Software W7 x64
OK I finally went ot an IT shop and they found what the problem was.
They discovered that the BIOS of the MB was too old to support the Intel E8400. Luckily they had a Q6600 (or something like that) available and when they installed their CPU, the MB booted just fine. Only then they were able to flash the BIOS (quite difficult without video output) and once the BIOS was updated to the latest version, they reinstalled the E8400 and the MB started.

I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out what was going on. So I hope this will help someone.

On the other hand, I had to pay 100 EUR for the service in the IT shop (they've spent +/- 2h on this so the price is fair), but I do not find very fair that even though I bought a CPU listed in the MB documentation as supported, I had to have a spare CPU to be able to flash the BIOS. To be frank I think I'm going to open a support ticket to Asus ad ask compensation.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
oops ok sorry.... I know what you mean now :ohwell:
yep i've also double checked this.
Asus provided a big jumper on which one can connect the different cables from the case
this is how it's configured:

and the back:

I've also double checked the 24pins power connector coming from the PSU as well as the 8 pins one:

note that I have a little cap I can use to convert the 8 pins plug on the MB to be a 4 or 8 pins power connector. Should I use a 4 pins or 8 pins one?

I'm glad to hear you've gotten the issue straight with an updated BIOS, I was going to recommend that anyhow. This board can be a little BIOS buggy and sensitive on occassion - especially if you start running high overclocks. A little annoying, but not the end of the world.

As to the CPU power coonector, to the best of my knowledge, you should only run the 4-pin instead of the 8. I believe the 8-pin is meant for more stable mobo power with extreme OCs. I don't think you'll hurt anything having it connected, but unless you really need the extra juice, I don't see a point.

Display(s) HP 2207h
Software W7 x64
hey there, thanks for the reply.

I have a small issue with this new MB I've just installed, I cannot boot from my Plextor IDE CDROM drive. I've also tried with another Plextor IDE DVDROM drive and it's the same story. I can't see any of these drive in the BIOS and even though I've set "ATAPI CDROM" as 1st boot device, each time I boot up to OS, I get the message (from Jmicron) "Detecting drives, please wait..." and then "Reboot and Select proper Boot Devices or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key".

On the IDE cable, I have a 20gb IDE HDD with the OS (Win XP) as Master (I triple checked the jumper settings) and the CDROM as slave. I've also tried with both devices as cable select and I even tried without the HDD and only with the CDROM or DVDROM drive.

I also have a blank SATA HDD which is recognized fine, but there's no OS on it. I've tried with and without that HDD connected, it made no difference.

I used the IDE cable from Asus as well as my own rounded IDE cable I had before and was working fine. I've also reset BIOS settings to default (F5).

Any idea what I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for you help

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
hey there, thanks for the reply.

I have a small issue with this new MB I've just installed, I cannot boot from my Plextor IDE CDROM drive. I've also tried with another Plextor IDE DVDROM drive and it's the same story. I can't see any of these drive in the BIOS and even though I've set "ATAPI CDROM" as 1st boot device, each time I boot up to OS, I get the message (from Jmicron) "Detecting drives, please wait..." and then "Reboot and Select proper Boot Devices or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key".

On the IDE cable, I have a 20gb IDE HDD with the OS (Win XP) as Master (I triple checked the jumper settings) and the CDROM as slave. I've also tried with both devices as cable select and I even tried without the HDD and only with the CDROM or DVDROM drive.

I also have a blank SATA HDD which is recognized fine, but there's no OS on it. I've tried with and without that HDD connected, it made no difference.

I used the IDE cable from Asus as well as my own rounded IDE cable I had before and was working fine. I've also reset BIOS settings to default (F5).

Any idea what I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for you help

I had a similar issue with my older P5W-DH board; try this:

in BIOS, set your boot priority to normal settings (i.e. HDD first, etc, etc) and reboot. While it's on the POST screen, or shortly thereafterwards, hit the F8 button. It'll take you to a boot menu where you can select which device you want to boot from. Then select the optical drive and it should boot from the disk. For some reason, having the optical disk set in BIOS as the primary boot drive seems to conflict with the Jmicron hardware. Odd.

Display(s) HP 2207h
Software W7 x64
hi imperial, thanks for the idea, but unfortunately it didn't work.
in the BIOS, the boot order is set to HDD > CDROM > Remov. Media (I've disabled the floppy because I don't have one). I can see my SATA HDD in the BIOS, but no trace of any of my IDE devices (1 HDD and 1 optical drive).

When pressing F8 at POST, I do reach the menu to select the boot device, but again, here, I only see my SATA HDD listed. It's like if any of my IDE device cannot be detected.

As explained above, I've already tried with another optical drive as well as another IDE cable.
All devices are properly powered up as I can open/close the CDROM drive to insert a CD.

I've also tried by disabling the Jmicron in the BIOS but it made no difference.

D

Deleted member 24505

If your board and psu has the 8 pin power connector,use that.The last three asus boards i have had had the 8 pin which i have used with no detrimental effect.You may as well use it if your board and cpu have it.

Glad you got your problem sorted.Maybe they should start flashing the boards to the latest bios prior to shipping.

Display(s) HP 2207h
Software W7 x64
If your board and psu has the 8 pin power connector,use that.The last three asus boards i have had had the 8 pin which i have used with no detrimental effect.You may as well use it if your board and cpu have it.

Glad you got your problem sorted.Maybe they should start flashing the boards to the latest bios prior to shipping.

hi tigger, yeah but I suppose the MB I got was from one of the early shipment as the guy at the IT shop told me it was a very old revision of the BIOS. Anyway, it doesn't excuse the fact that Asus screwed up. ;)

Any idea for my IDE drive not recognized problem?

D

Deleted member 24505

Do you have the jmicron controller enabled? on newer boards the ide is from an add on chip and not from the sb natively.Have a check of that and get back.

Display(s) HP 2207h
Software W7 x64
Do you have the jmicron controller enabled? on newer boards the ide is from an add on chip and not from the sb natively.Have a check of that and get back.

jmicron is indeed enabled in the BIOS.
I've also tried with jmicron disabled but it was the same.

I had a look on the MB but I don't think there's a jumper to enable/disable jmicron.

maybe I'll have to buy a SATA DVD drive.... but IDE should work.... I don't know what's going wrong...

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
IIRC, without me looking in my BIOS settings, make sure under the Advanced Options menu - under the Onboard Devices submenu - make sure the setting underneath Jmicron [Enabled], which should be "Set Controller Mode as:" (or something similar), is set to [IDE].

Also, double check the jumper of the back of the optical drive and make sure it's set to either 'Master' or 'Cable Select' - Cable Select preferably, and double check that the black connector on your IDE ribbon is plugged into it - if it's the only device, it shouldn't make a difference, but some drives and BIOSes can be picky. If you have a second HDD, make sure the jumper on that is 'Cable Select' as well.