• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bricked 5970?

nullcorp

System Name nullcorp-PC
Processor Core i7 950
Motherboard EVGA Classified X58 E760 (bios S61J)
Cooling Watercooling : Heatkiller 3.0 + EK-FB EVGA X58 Classified + Heatkiller GPU-X 5970
Memory 3 x 2Gb Corsair Dominator GT PC3-16000 C8
Video Card(s) HIS Radeon HD 5970
Storage Intel X25-E 32Gb
Display(s) 3 x Samsung 275T
Case Lian Li P80B
Audio Device(s) Auzentech Prelude 7.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000W
Software Win 7 64bit
nullcorp & Datektrader do you have msn handy?

Never really used msn, but if you think it might help... :toast:

Anyway, going back to the 9.12 wouldn't be a good solution for me, there are too many good things for eyefinity since 10.3.

I'm starting to wonder if the problem is not some kind of "other cold bug". First it started to appear after I installed the waterblock. And now the first time I switch my pc on I always have the problem, but when I reboot, windows usually loads fine at the 2nd or 3rd try. Maybe because the card (or one particular part of it) becomes just hot enough by then. I generally don't like the summer because of the additional computer heating, but this year might be different... :respect:

Can't really see any other explanation. :shadedshu

Psychlone

System Name Psychstation
Processor (Under NDA - sorry)
Motherboard (Under NDA - sorry)
Cooling (Under NDA) + 2 120mm Scythe S-Flex 1600RPM fans + 8 X 120mm Scythe Slipstream case fans
Memory 4 X 4GB Corsair (sorry again guys!)
Video Card(s) ATI 5970 Engineering Sample
Storage 4 X Samsung MMDOE56G5MXP-0VB 256GB SSDs in RAID5 + 7 X 500GB WD SATA2 (storage)
Display(s) Acer P241W 24" + Samsung SyncMaster 204B 21"
Case CM COSMOS S (modified)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Extreme Gamer + Cambridge Soundworks S750 7.1 Digital Surround (750 Watts!!)
Power Supply OCZ Game X Stream 1010W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores Under multiple NDAs...nothing to be seen here - move along... ;)
Perhaps I misunderstood the original issue here.

I had thought that the original post (and subsequent posts) had said that driver sets higher than the initial installed version seemed to install, but then after a reboot, wouldn't get all the way into Windows, hanging at the end of the 'Starting Windows' animation (Win7)...which is what MY problem is.

If YOUR problem is that your computer refuses to start until it's warmed up, then you've not got the same problem that I have...and I simply misunderstood the OP.

Datektrader: If your situation is the same as mine, let's band together and get some system specs, hardware and software comparisons going to see if there's any commonality between us (aside the 5970 itself) - I'm positive that MY problem doesn't lie with the card itself, nor the OS, but with the card's BIOS or something else (either hardware or software) that's not accepting the newer driver sets.

Psychlone

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Bridge chip is source of coldbug. Seen some users doing extreme overclocks with a TEC on the bridge...not to cool it, but to keep it hot. Some cards have the issue, others do not.

nullcorp

System Name nullcorp-PC
Processor Core i7 950
Motherboard EVGA Classified X58 E760 (bios S61J)
Cooling Watercooling : Heatkiller 3.0 + EK-FB EVGA X58 Classified + Heatkiller GPU-X 5970
Memory 3 x 2Gb Corsair Dominator GT PC3-16000 C8
Video Card(s) HIS Radeon HD 5970
Storage Intel X25-E 32Gb
Display(s) 3 x Samsung 275T
Case Lian Li P80B
Audio Device(s) Auzentech Prelude 7.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000W
Software Win 7 64bit
Psychlone : we have the same issue, which is the hanging at the end of the "starting windows" screen. And like Datektrader, I also noticed the problem only came up after installing any catalyst from 10.2 (I didn't try 9.12). If no driver is installed, windows loads fine.

Now the difference between us might be that for me after several reboots, windows ends up loading successfully (I'm just not sure why, the warm up is only an theory). But for both of you, from what I understand, you're definitely stuck at the flag screen no matter how many times you reboot. Is that right?

Psychlone

System Name Psychstation
Cooling (Under NDA) + 2 120mm Scythe S-Flex 1600RPM fans + 8 X 120mm Scythe Slipstream case fans
Storage 4 X Samsung MMDOE56G5MXP-0VB 256GB SSDs in RAID5 + 7 X 500GB WD SATA2 (storage)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Extreme Gamer + Cambridge Soundworks S750 7.1 Digital Surround (750 Watts!!)
Benchmark Scores Under multiple NDAs...nothing to be seen here - move along... ;)
^ That is correct.

To make a much longer story short,
I purchased an OEM 5970 card, installed it in a fresh format/install of Windows 7 Ultimate x64, and can't get any driver set after 10.1 to install (10.1 was the driver set that was fresh when I installed the card)

** TO CLARIFY, this is NOT the same problem that some other people are experiencing, in that the CCC drivers will not install or "Failed Install", with my issue, ANY driver set after 10.1 successfully installs, but after a reboot, I'm met with nothing but a blank screen right after the "Starting Windows" animation (this is the exact time the OS is loading the VGA drivers - I should also mention that there IS power and signal to the monitor, just nothing comes up, like the driver has hung the system)

I've gone through a TON of troubleshooting techniques trying to determine what the cause of the problem is.

I've uninstalled the drivers and installed them in every conceivable way (including DriverCleaner Pro + DriverSweeper + CCleaner + manual removal of leftovers, then install, and even full command-line install after a full sweep) - none of it has worked.

Since my last post, I've gone through a series of formats/OS Installs using different techniques, still trying to troubleshoot this problem.

I have formatted my hard drive and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 6 times in the last day, and recorded something strange on EVERY try.

EACH AND EVERY time I've formatted and installed Win7 x64, my 5970 card requests an IRQ in the 4 billion range (yep - 4 BILLION)...see this screenshot (check near the bottom)

In over 25 years of computing, I've never seen any device request an IRQ in this range - this range, to my knowledge doesn't even exist.

PLEASE check your IRQ assignment by following this:

Go to the Start orb and type SYSTEM INFORMATION

Expand (by clicking the little [+] symbol) HARDWARE RESOURCES

Expand (by clicking the little [+] symbol) IRQs ...check what IRQ your card is requesting here

Expand (by clicking the little [+] symbol) CONFLICTS AND SHARING

From inside Conflicts and Sharing, mine is sharing addresses with the PCI Standard - PCI to PCI Bridge, which is pretty standard, but it's not sharing a single IRQ with anything, which is actually pretty strange - normally, the card would be sharing an IRQ with PCI Standard - PCI to PCI Bridge as well, but it's not done this on ANY of the times I've formatted and installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Now, in an attempt to gather everyone together that's having this same problem, I'm requesting hardware specs from each of you. There HAS to be a common denominator that us and ATI haven't seen. (having formatted and installed the OS 6 different ways, I can safely rule out the OS and ALL non-driver related software as the problem)

Here are MY specs:

Phenom II 940BE

ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe

2 X 2GB Corsair Dominator 8500C5D

Built-By ATI (OEM) 5970

Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Extreme Gamer

OCZ GameXstream 1010W

(the HDDs and optical drives really can't matter in an issue like this, so probably no need to post them)

Graphics Card BIOS1 (Master): 012.013.000.002
Graphics Card BIOS P/N: 113-C00001M-102 (which is the Master)
BIOS Date: 10/29/09

Graphics Card BIOS2 (Slave): 012.013.000.002
Graphics Card BIOS P/N: 113-C00001S-103 (which is the Slave)
BIOS Date: 10/29/09

Now, you're probably asking youself "Built-By ATI" OEM?? Well, this card was purchased from a third party as an OEM card for system builders such as myself.

Here is a screenshot from the Catalyst 10.1 Hardware tab: (the ONLY Catalyst drivers that actually install without any issues - anything higher than 10.1 results in this topic of discussion)

Nothing else is strange here...the Graphics Card Manufacturer line clearly says "Built by ATI" rather than MSI, Sapphire, or the myriad of other third-party manufacturers...it is an OEM card intended for system builders such as myself.

I encourage ALL of you that are having the problem of the black screen after reboot of installing driver sets higher than 10.1 to post your system specs and IRQ assignments. There HAS to be a common denominator here that AMD/ATI hasn't seen.

Armed with this information, we can get them to help us!!!

Psychlone

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Just FYI, dual 5870's (XFX XXX) with the exact same IRQ's..:

Attachments

• 5870irq.png
    5870irq.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,440

Psychlone

System Name Psychstation
Now that truly is strange...in 25 years, I've never seen an IRQ in the tens of thousands, let alone the BILLION mark.

So, your 5870's have no issues beyond 10.1?? And is that from your Vista install or Win7??

Psychlone

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Same OS as you.

I have many issues, actually, but they mostly only appear as I try to clock the cards..If I leave the driver alone, with Overdrive locked, things are OK...mostly. The rest of the issues I have are driver bugs, as I think your mentioned issue is.

I cannot get 2560x1600 working over DisplayPort, either. 1920x1080 drops while switching to 3D, but seems app dependant.

For you, I think the slave card, which is not connected to any display outputs, is being assigned as the primary display device. When I get this issue, I simply move the monitor connector around until the image re-appears, and usually it's the bottom card with the desktop, but 5970 users do not have this option. This has been an issue I have faced with Crossfire many times over the years.

Psychlone

System Name Psychstation
Well, havent made much progress on the 5970, but have done a BUNCH of testing and research as well.

Here's what I learned about the IRQ that is so strange to me:
This IRQ is mapped at the upper end of the 4 GB x86 memory limit - just before the beginning of the x64 memory addresssing. 4,294,967,296 = x86 RAM limit = 2^32
Why that is can't be found but I suppose that they force an IRQ right at the top end of the x86 addressing limit to ensure that x86 processors can access and use it - but does this make sense when almost ALL of us have had 64bit processors for years? - Especially considering that anyone purchasing a $700 card, which is as much as most people's whole computers, better be using at least a dual-core 64bit processor!
I mean, think about it - if x86 compatibility is the reason for the IRQ assignment, shouldn't I be pissed that they're making the worlds most powerful graphics card available to retards running x86-only systems? (we're not talking OS here, hardware only)

I may just not fully understand what's going on...and I'm not positive that this strange high IRQ has anything to do with the actual problem anyway.

My card has 109 printed on the PCB - this card, as shown in my system specs, is an engineering sample. I don't think that my issue is the same as anyone else's in this thread.

But, I will tell you all what I've done recently to try to diagnose it.

After ruling out the OS and all software conflicts as per my last big post, I started swapping systems.
I have 3 separate Phenom 9850BE systems and an Opteron server which I tried the card in.
So, on the Phenom 9850BE systems, the same exact thing was happening - no video after installing a driver set higher than 10.1 and rebooting.
But, I started to think that perhaps the OS really was part of the issue - I'm a system builder, and have the OEM version of Windows 7 installed on every machine...except the server, which is Server 2007.
I installed the 5970 in the Opteron server with it's different OS, but ended up in the same exact place. 10.1 works fine, anything higher just freezes the screen after reboot.

I then installed my 4870X2 on my main rig with the 10.3's already installed from the previous failure of video with the 5970, and guess what? NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER.

So, I started thinking and decided to flash the BIOS with an almost identical BIOS (master and slave) from the guy I bought it from - it's actually 6 days older than my BIOS, but other than the date, I couldn't see anything in the hex that was different (I didn't really tear it apart though)
That ended in a miserable failure and had to blind flash back to the original again, so then I tried the Sapphire BIOS (master and slave), same failure, then reversed them (master=slave and slave=master) - same failure, and on and on through several other BIOS images from here at TPU.

So, my problem is the card itself, not the other hardware, not the OS, not any software, and not the BIOS (that I can discern anyway).

I'm working on a registry tweak that may allow me to install the newer Cats, and will post back if it works with details on how it's done.

Psychlone

headshot119

System Name Defiant
Processor AMD Phenom 2 X6 1090T OC at 3.9GHZ
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
Cooling Corsair H50
Memory 8GB DDR3 Corsair PC3-12800C9 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 2 X ATI Saphhire 5770 1GB (Xfire)
Storage Hitachi 1TB SATA X 3 + Hitatchi 320 GB SATA
Display(s) 2 X Dell 2310 1 X Dell 2309 Eyefinity
Case CoolMaster Dominator Lite II
Power Supply XFX Pro 850W PSU
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
I have had exactly the same problem with my 5770 series, you need to ensure your motherboard BIOS is up to date, and that the BIOS supports the 5*** series of cards. Best of luck!

Psychlone

System Name Psychstation
I found the solution.

So, here is a breakdown of what finally worked for me:

1) Install whatever Catalyst version that you can that you can boot all the way into Windows with

2) Use the CCC Software tab to determine which ClassID string is used for the 2D driver

(Open CCC, click on Information Center, then Graphics Software)

Here you can see 2D Driver File Path - this is the important part, so drag the slider over to the edge, adjust the stopper at the end of the "Value" line at the top and keep moving the slider until you can see the end of the string.

It will look like this: 2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet002/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000

The final 4 digits after the forward slash are the important ones, as there will be multiple numbered folders in there, so make note of it. In the case above, it's /0000, but yours may be /0001, /0002, /0003 or higher...

3) Boot into Safe Mode (if you need help booting into Safe Mode, you shouldn't be attempting this fix)

Now, we have to enter 1 registry DWORD and change 1 DWORD value in the Windows Registry, so this becomes a Windows Registry hack...

4) CREATE A RESTORE POINT

**ANY time you work in the Windows Registry, there is a possibility of rendering your operating system useless, so ENSURE you've made a restore point BEFORE proceeding**

(if you need help figuring out how to make a restore point, you probably shouldn't be reading this post and would benefit from taking your card and computer to someone that's comfortable working in the Windows registry)

Ok, now that you've got a restore point to fall back on in the worst-case scenario, let's proceed.

5) Go to the Start Orb and type REGEDIT, hit enter. This opens the Windows Registry Editor. (remember, we're still in Safe-Mode!)

6) Once inside Regedit, navigate to the following area:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000 (or if the last 4 digits in YOUR Software tab in CCC are different, navigate to that folder instead of \0000

This is what it will look like inside Regedit at this specific location.

At the bottom, you can see the exact location you should be at.

At the top right, I've scrolled down a little bit to the first place we need to make a change.

7) Double-click on EnableULPS and change it's value from it's default of 1 to 0 (zero, not "o") then hit OK.

8) Then, right-click in an empty area in the far right, and choose NEW > DWORD (32bit Value)

Name it PP_DisableMCDownLoadFeature and give it a value of 1

It will look like this when done correctly:

NOTE that these two tweaks only need to be done in the folder that YOUR Catalyst Software 2D Driver File Path exists in...mine is 0000, but yours can be in any numbered folder inside the main path of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} ...just remember that BOTH of these tweaks need to be in the folder that's specific to YOUR install.

That's it.

After rebooting, you may install whatever version of Catalyst drivers you like.

I've done some fairly extensive testing, and have concluded that this 'hack' makes the cards that were having issues installing newer driver sets, work just like every other card out there.

Apparently, SOME cards out there have a different memory controller on them, and for some reason, polls those 2 specific areas in the Windows Registry for no good reason at all. The one entry that doesn't exist (the one that we created) is more than likely the one that hangs the driver from loading all the way into Windows, as the card is looking for something that doesn't exist.

Anyway, good luck to all - I know I'm a happy camper after getting this thing running correctly!!!

Psychlone

System Name Sovereign // HTPC
Processor i7 3770k 4.2 // i7 3770k 4.2
Motherboard Maximus V Gene // Sabertooth Z77
Cooling Noctua D14 // Intel HSF
Memory 16GB Samsung // 16GB VengeanceLP
Video Card(s) Deciding // 660 DC2
Storage OS (X25-M), Data (Seagate 1TB) // Samsung 840 120GB & bunch of drives
Display(s) Samsung T240HD // LG TV
Case TJ08e // Grandia GD08
Audio Device(s) DT880 Pro 250 ohm // TV speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Plat 1000 // Seasonic Gold 760
Software Windows 8 Pro x64 // Windows 7 Pro x64
I found the solution.

1) Install whatever Catalyst ...................................

- I know I'm a happy camper after getting this thing running correctly!!!

Psychlone

This is worth a thanks even if it doesnt apply to me.

I would take the full asus 128k master & slave and increase 2d clocks to 400/1000 defaults, then try those with all ATI software removed from your OS. Guessin You have your system up to date (chipset drivers, os updates, patches & hotfixes)?

And disable ULPS like psychlone said

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
wtf 73c at 0 load uh check your fans mate even for 5900 that's a bit warm the 2d card sure sounds likes its cooked :(

igork

Hi all,

It seems OP flashed his card bios with bin file extracted from asus site labeled as AS03 provided from the following thread:
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=118882

Please note that it seems it is not the right bios for 5970 card! It has 64K compared to original AS01 bios which is 128K!

And this is info from the above mentioned thread:
But there seems to be a problem here. If you look in this bios file it seems it is not bios for 5970 at all!

This are lines from bios you have extracted:
03/17/05,14:38:07 113-AA48910-102 OS\ RV410 PCI_EXPRESS DDR1
5E4D.9.8.1.4.AS07
(C) 1988-2003, ATI Technologies Inc. ATOMBIOSBK-ATI VER009.008.001.004 3AA48910.102 0 12894 AMI CAA48910.101

And this are lines from bios posted on tech site for download:
11/18/09 20:38 œh 113-C00001-202 CYPRESS PCI_EXPRESS GDDR5
986C.12.13.0.2.AS03M
(C) 1988-2005, ATI Technologies Inc. ATOMBIOSBK-ATI VER012.013.000.002.034996 S3C00001.102 512940 123447 C00001M\config.h

I am still searching for AS03M and AS03S bios for asus eah 5970 card. On this site you can download AS01M and S and AS03M only. AS03S is missing. If someone has it form newer asus card, please post it. Thx in advance.

Best,
IgorK

Last edited:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
Hi all,

It seems OP flashed his card bios with bin file extracted from asus site labeled as AS03 provided from the following thread:
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=118882

Please note that it seems it is not the right bios for 5970 card! It has 64K compared to original AS01 bios which is 128K!

And this is info from the above mentioned thread:
But there seems to be a problem here. If you look in this bios file it seems it is not bios for 5970 at all!

This are lines from bios you have extracted:
03/17/05,14:38:07 113-AA48910-102 OS\ RV410 PCI_EXPRESS DDR1
5E4D.9.8.1.4.AS07
(C) 1988-2003, ATI Technologies Inc. ATOMBIOSBK-ATI VER009.008.001.004 3AA48910.102 0 12894 AMI CAA48910.101

And this are lines from bios posted on tech site for download:
11/18/09 20:38 œh 113-C00001-202 CYPRESS PCI_EXPRESS GDDR5
986C.12.13.0.2.AS03M
(C) 1988-2005, ATI Technologies Inc. ATOMBIOSBK-ATI VER012.013.000.002.034996 S3C00001.102 512940 123447 C00001M\config.h

I am still searching for AS03M and AS03S bios for asus eah 5970 card. On this site you can download AS01M and S and AS03M only. AS03S is missing. If someone has it form newer asus card, please post it. Thx in advance.

Best,
IgorK

file size means nothing its probably a compressed img

johnksss

my conclusion is that the second GPU is dead, or the ram that is supose to work with it is dead.

gpuz shows this for information on the second gpu

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/10/04/02/gax.png

I guess I will try to RMA it though I highly doubt it will be succesful, but maybe they have some out of warranty repair fee.

one last thought, would it be possible to flash a 5870 bios to the master bios. since the 5970 is simply two underclocked 5870s. maybe making this into an oversized 5870.

try this.
1: boot dos
2: flash card using atiflash -f -p 0 whateveryourbiosis.rom = master card
3: flash card using atiflash -f -p 1 whateveryourbiosis2.rom = slave card

your card isn't bricked...it's just not fully flashed.

(speculation of course)

now my question... to the room

any one have a diamond 5970? looking for the slave bios for it.
thanks.

dcdave78

you had the exact problem i did.( I had a 5970 engineering sample too) . Problem is I thought it was the bios was old and the new drivers were not working with a old bios. I just sent my computer to a friend to flash the card with a 5970 bios. Question my friend probably didnt save the old bios since you have the same card what bios should i use to get this working again so i can use your work around. BTW thanks for that !

I found the solution.

1) Install whatever Catalyst version that you can that you can boot all the way into Windows with

2) Use the CCC Software tab to determine which ClassID string is used for the 2D driver

(Open CCC, click on Information Center, then Graphics Software)

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/2020/ccc2d.png
Here you can see 2D Driver File Path - this is the important part, so drag the slider over to the edge, adjust the stopper at the end of the "Value" line at the top and keep moving the slider until you can see the end of the string.

It will look like this: 2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet002/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000

The final 4 digits after the forward slash are the important ones, as there will be multiple numbered folders in there, so make note of it. In the case above, it's /0000, but yours may be /0001, /0002, /0003 or higher...

3) Boot into Safe Mode (if you need help booting into Safe Mode, you shouldn't be attempting this fix)

Now, we have to enter 1 registry DWORD and change 1 DWORD value in the Windows Registry, so this becomes a Windows Registry hack...

4) CREATE A RESTORE POINT

**ANY time you work in the Windows Registry, there is a possibility of rendering your operating system useless, so ENSURE you've made a restore point BEFORE proceeding**

(if you need help figuring out how to make a restore point, you probably shouldn't be reading this post and would benefit from taking your card and computer to someone that's comfortable working in the Windows registry)

Ok, now that you've got a restore point to fall back on in the worst-case scenario, let's proceed.

5) Go to the Start Orb and type REGEDIT, hit enter. This opens the Windows Registry Editor. (remember, we're still in Safe-Mode!)

6) Once inside Regedit, navigate to the following area:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000 (or if the last 4 digits in YOUR Software tab in CCC are different, navigate to that folder instead of \0000

This is what it will look like inside Regedit at this specific location.
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/1720/2dregtweaks.png
At the bottom, you can see the exact location you should be at.

At the top right, I've scrolled down a little bit to the first place we need to make a change.

7) Double-click on EnableULPS and change it's value from it's default of 1 to 0 (zero, not "o") then hit OK.

8) Then, right-click in an empty area in the far right, and choose NEW > DWORD (32bit Value)

Name it PP_DisableMCDownLoadFeature and give it a value of 1

It will look like this when done correctly:

NOTE that these two tweaks only need to be done in the folder that YOUR Catalyst Software 2D Driver File Path exists in...mine is 0000, but yours can be in any numbered folder inside the main path of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} ...just remember that BOTH of these tweaks need to be in the folder that's specific to YOUR install.

That's it.

After rebooting, you may install whatever version of Catalyst drivers you like.

I've done some fairly extensive testing, and have concluded that this 'hack' makes the cards that were having issues installing newer driver sets, work just like every other card out there.

Apparently, SOME cards out there have a different memory controller on them, and for some reason, polls those 2 specific areas in the Windows Registry for no good reason at all. The one entry that doesn't exist (the one that we created) is more than likely the one that hangs the driver from loading all the way into Windows, as the card is looking for something that doesn't exist.

Anyway, good luck to all - I know I'm a happy camper after getting this thing running correctly!!!

Psychlone

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
If it was fruity from the getgo why didn't you take it back to where you bought it from and ask for you r money back

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
In over 25 years of computing, I've never seen any device request an IRQ in this range - this range, to my knowledge doesn't even exist.

Nothing else is strange here...the Graphics Card Manufacturer line clearly says "Built by ATI" rather than MSI, Sapphire, or the myriad of other third-party manufacturers...it is an OEM card intended for system builders such as myself.

Well, as far as I know, IRQs are mostly virtual now, not much out there has to have a hard irq. Windows takes care of the problem. Remember, the old sound blasters had to have a fixed hard irq to works, 'cause the software and system had to know where to place the calls and who had priority over who. As, most systems are quick enough now it doesn't really matter 99% of the time.

irq.png

And, as for "Built by ATI"... it has no meaning as an OEM, just means some one was to lazy or did not feel like entering the vendor id; or, even used a reference bios.

GPU-z explains:
subvendor.png

Just FYI:

ATI(1002) Product ASIC Table
PCI Vendor List

Now, I am not saying you don't have a OEM card, but, not everyone has one that has "Built by ATi" in that field.

For, instance mine is a Sapphire with the original bios... never flashed.

video.png

Also, glad you fixed your problem.:toast:
:)

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black