• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bricked Asus gtx970 dc2oc - 4gd5

Xet

Greetings.

I am sorry if I post yet another bricked gfx thread, but I am really stuck and have tried to resolve the problem for hours now.

I have an Asus gtx970 dc2oc - 4gd5, which I experienced often would crash my computer, freezing when I was playing games.
Some months ago I tried to reflash the vbios to a newer version, which resulted in the graphics card going black, it would not output anything, black screen all the time.

I did not take backup of the vbios before flashing, which was a mistake, I know.

Now I am trying to bring the card back to life, but I am not able to flash the vbios. Nvflash in windows 10 runs without a problem, and finihes the flash (it seems) no errors. But when I check current vbios version on the card, it hasn't changed.

flash.PNG

If I run the command again, it gives the same output, the current version is still the same.
nvflash --compare gives following result

compare.PNG

I have tried an older nvflash version in freedos, but it gives the error "No NVidia display adapters found". even with -f -6 etc.

deviceman.PNG
gpuz.PNG

I downloaded an older version of NVflash, and now I managed to install a new vbios, but GFX is still bricked.
If I remove it via device manager and search for changes, it comes up again, and shows "device is working properly".
But then when I try and install the driver via GeForce experience, it crashes when it's 30% done. Then entire computer freezes.
When I boot the computer, there is no output via the gtx970, just a black screen. It does however turn on the monitor, with backlighting on, though the screen is black.
If I boot with the main display set via PCI-E in the mobo bios, there is no output on the screen. I turn off the computer via the power button, but I don't have to hold down the power button, just one click, and it turns off, which makes me think the mobo is detecting some kind of error/computer crashes.

For the entire process, I have been using video output via onboard GFX.

Last edited:

Xet

I have tried multiple bios versions, no luck. Tried flashing with graphics card disabled in device manager, no luck.