• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bricked GPU amd 5700xt **no bios on card**

lostplzhelp

presenting this as a challenge as I've done everything i have found on the internet to this card will list below:

card type: and radeon rx 5700xt single blowerfan not 50year edition one
Problem: bricked gpu not wanting to flash
how we got here:
i originally bios modded card all was well one restart then boom card would not be picked up by windows device manager or system info i tried to get the card to be seen on minerstatOS and HiveOS. i finally tried the 1+8 pin short circuit method and it worked allowed the card to be picked up in uefi amdbvflash but not on windows or any other os and when i did flash it i was told to restart and once again card was still not read flashed it about 10 times and nada. finally, I thought hey maybe I'm reading this wrong and i need to do 1+8pin whilst its trying to flash bios and it worked it said restart i did and when i did the card was able to be picked up by all os but the stock bios wasn't on it in fact there was no bios at all. i tried everything again to no avail and I'm at a loss.
1.PNG
the above is a screenshot of gpu-z

bellow is a scrn prnt of me attempting tp flash bios through windows and unlocking the rom.
2.PNG

bellow is the 2nd time without unlocking the room as i saw that the flash type changed after a unlock so i said let me try both.
3.PNG

any help would be greatly appreciated and yes username checksout \0/

Don't worry, you can't kill a GFX Card by flashing it. If the worse comes to the worse, just solder in a pre-programmed chip. Not sure if you can RMA it. best to wait until other users see this thread.

lostplzhelp

umm ive never soldered anything in my life any chance you'd know about a pc repair shop chain that can?

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
It's starting to look like a failed VBIOS chip. (hardware) (Bad blocks (sectors) or flash controller failure.)

A PC repair shop will need to have a pre-programmed BIOS chip, but before you go down that road, wait to see what other users say about RMA the card.

Just for the record, you can buy pre-programmed chip off EBAY, but don't buy at those ripoff prices, there are smarter ways to obtain programme BIOS chip.

lostplzhelp

cant rma bought used was working when i bought it no issues i bios modded and bricked it

It's starting to look like a failed VBIOS chip. (hardware) (Bad blocks (sectors) or flash controller failure.)
thnx for the info how would one go about checking if those are the issues primarily the 2nd 2 (badblock sectors or flash controller failure) as the first if I'm not mistaken involves unsoldering and resoldering a new bios chip?

uJamBo

plug in an hdmi cable to the said card to raise its power state from low this might help

lostplzhelp

plug in an hdmi cable to the said card to raise its power state from low this might help
just tried this, unfortunately, did not work but thnx for the help!

A PC repair shop will need to have a pre-programmed BIOS chip, but before you go down that road, wait to see what other users say about RMA the card.

Just for the record, you can buy pre-programmed chip off EBAY, but don't buy at those ripoff prices, there are smarter ways to obtain programme BIOS chip.
where would you recommend to get one or is it not that difficult to do it your self quick google search shows adapters i can use but what chip should i get i feel itd better then getting pre-programed one as i have original bios and i do agree i should wait but shipping times plus i kinda feel like 90% chance its fucked bios chip cuz i might have fucked it with the 1+8 pin method

Can you not RMA the card? Once you start messing/changing parts warranty is dead. Soldering-in a new BIOS chip is the last resort if all avenues fail.

lostplzhelp

Can you not RMA the card? Once you start messing/changing parts warranty is dead. Soldering-in a new BIOS chip is the last resort if all avenues fail.
100% doubt as i bought card used don't have access to any of that info

hmm so new info in my fuckit spirit i kept trying to flash bios with 1+8 pin to no avail then i remember reading about 1+5 and said well if chip is fucked how bad can it get i did it and got this
image0.jpg

the fail was whilst i held 1+5pin
then pass after i released it still couldn't flash bios but chip works????
even tried to flash whilst holding 1+5 pin and 1+8 pin both times said couldn't read from then after i released and tried again i got the room not erased file so does that mean chip is readable/ not broken?? if so i have https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SHSL9X9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

being delivered tomorrow to try to flash the chip that way and if that doesn't work anyone know where i can buy the un preprogrammed bios chip for a amd radeon rx 5700xt single blower fan not 50year edditon

that being said everything after that was a fail test and can only get it to pass if i turn off pc and psu then power on whilst holding 1+5 pin

lostplzhelp

Don't worry, you can't kill a GFX Card by flashing it. If the worse comes to the worse, just solder in a pre-programmed chip. Not sure if you can RMA it. best to wait until other users see this thread.
hey guys been a minute but the programer arrived and i did it successfully restarted my pc plugged card in and not it lets me get up to this point
see5.PNG

You bought a programmer. ...Ok, let's say you programmed a new BIOS chip.. How are you going to remove the old chip? you said you have never soldered in your life.

If you program a new BIOS chip, take both to a local repair shop it should be cheaper, but I would find someone local, friend online who has excellent soldering skills & point the user to the product below to remove the old chip. I have never used this product, I have High End Professional Equipment for removing SMD component's. Once the old chip is out, it's dead easy to solder in the new one. Do a search online for the cheapest price.

EDIT: If you do get the old chip out, investigate it, stick it in the programmer to see if there is anything wrong with it.

EEVblog #437 - Removing SMD Parts with ChipQuik - YouTube

EDIT2 UPDATE IMPORTANT: Does your card not have "Dual BIOS" ie, a little switch on the side of the card?

Last edited:

lostplzhelp

dosent have dual bios as for the new chip i already ordered a new one might take a while for it to get here as its coming from poland but paid for very expedited shipping and i plan on taking it to a local repair shop to unsolder the current chip then solder the new chip when it arrives ill program it before it even goes in. is my idea anyways

going to also try to find a way to see if i can get the bios to write and not need to verify cuz from my very very limited knowledge that seems to be what stopping it (at least that's what amdvbflash says) as when i use the CH341A programmer it says it programs fine i verify says its fine i close program then re read chip i see the same thing as when it was programed but yet wont work but at least it went from nto being able to read the rom to now being able to read it just keeps failing to verify XP

If your going to be doing that, then good. It should be even cheaper if you can give them the card all disassembled & you give them just the PCB & the new pre-programmed BIOS, & just say can you solder in this new chip. If done this way, it should not take more than 20 mins, so you can wait while they change the chip, provided they don't have anything else occupying desk space & not being picky about receiving card already disassembled.

Get to keep the old ROM, so you can check it out with the programmer.

Here I don't need to order chips, just de-solder any BIOS chip from dead GFX card(s) & re-programme. I also said in this thread there is a very smart way to get a BIOS chip Pre-programmed. I've never test it on GPUs, I only know it works on motherboards I have here. I will bring this very smart hacked method forward & test if it works, which I have high hopes that it should work without issues.

Last edited: