• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Broken RX 580 || No display, no vbios

ryothgg

I recently bought a broken RX 580 for a pretty sweet price, mostly looking for a project to work on. Long story short, I cleaned out the card, confirmed that the GPU was alive (GPU die heats up when booted, fans spin too), and have spent the past few days trying to figure out how to fix the main problem, which seems to be the bios. I've tried flashing using amdvbflash/atiflash on windows and also on a flash drive (DOS). I always get

Failed to read ROM

ERROR 0FL01 : Press '1' to continue

Or something similar. I've tried the 1+8 pin method using a paperclip, but atiflash -i always comes up the same, with the GPU failing. atiflash -ai is similar, listing "No VBIOS". This also using -unlockrom, which says that the ROM unlocks, but does not change anything. Using pixel patcher doesn't seem to do anything. I'm also a little concerned that the flash size of the rom is only 64KB (when bios size is 256KB), is this normal? Windows is also picking up the card as an RX 590, pretty weird (although it has code 43 in device manager). Is there anything else I can try to do to save the card?

theoscat

i am with the same issue now. Tried to use polarisbioseditor with on click optimisation and flashed the modded bios to the card.
Turned out it became a rx590 now. Really frustrated now as well.

Processor ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard AB350m Pro4
Cooling custom loop
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force TXKD416G3600HC18ADC01 16gbs XMP
Video Card(s) HP GTX1650 super 4gb
Storage MZVLB256HBHQ-000H1 PM981a (256GB)/3TB HDD
Display(s) Nitro XF243Y Pbmiiprx
Case Rosewill CULLINAN
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Mouse Best Buy Insignia
Keyboard Best Buy Insignia
Software Win 10 pro
get a ch341a programmer with clip. it makes flashing these cards easy. they are less than 20 bucks all together and can be used on other electronics.

ryothgg

I actually have already ordered one, glad that there are quite a few guides on youtube on how to use them. I'll update when it arrives and I try to use it

theoscat

Turned out I've fixed mine.
I had my pc using onboard display, and then with the rx580 (messed up bios).
First started the PC with rx580 touching the pin1+8.
Managed to get into windows, then you can remove the pin1+8 connection.
Head straight to ATIflash, you should be able to see the rx580 being recognize as Polaris 10 (i forgot the exact name)
then from the GUI, you should be able to flash the correct bios again.

ryothgg

My CH431a just arrived today, I can't get it to recognize the chip tho and and at one point it was reading all 00s and I was able to "write" to it (if I read again it would still just be 00s), but now it's only FFs and I can't seem to write anymore. It might be because my clamp is bad but idk, seems more likely to me that either the chip itself is dead or another part of the graphics card is.

EDIT: Yup bad clamp, got old behavior again

Last edited:

FantasticAvocado

With my RX 480 when i don't see a bios (exactly same screen you have) i flash like that
  1. Load to Ubuntu on iGPU
  2. Start Heaven benchmark on AMD GPU with help of DRI_PRIME=1 flag
  3. Now when GPU gets load i can see it's bios
  4. Using AMD VBFlash 4.69 i unlock rom with -unlockrom 0 command
  5. And flash my bios with -f -p 0 (in your case its "1") biosname.rom

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
The fact that the GPU heats up does not necessarily mean that it's working, just that current is passing through it and perhaps that the clock circuit is working. Similarly, it might work, but something else be wrong with the board or the components on it which could prevent you from seeing a picture.

Good luck, but be prepared that you could be onto a hiding to nothing.

Also, what made you conclude that the BIOS is the problem?

ryothgg

The bios was the only real issue I could find with the card, no shorts in expected places although I guess its possible that there's a short somewhere in the board. I'm puzzled by the all 00's reading from the CH431a since the reading when no chip is connected is all FF's. That being said, it seems pretty unlikely that the only thing dead is the bios chip.

I've also seen a few other people with RX 580s showing up as RX 590s, and I don't have a great explanation since they're on different nodes and aren't just differently binned versions of the same card. Maybe someone tried to flash this card with a 590 bios and it ended up frying something? I'm not quite sure to think anymore, I'll probably end up selling the card for parts myself lol

Edit: I should mention that it's also not just a matter of not seeing a picture, programs like GPU-Z and HWinfo64 can't pick up a lot of the information that should be present, but that lines up with a missing bios

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
It sounds like you're not going to get anywhere with it and it might be worth getting rid of it to preserve your sanity. How much can one get for a broken RX 580 anyway?

To properly repair and troubleshoot high technology like this, the right test rig is required (think $thousands for a custom logic analyzer), various other tools, schematics, spare parts and training. Even then, a repair isn't guaranteed, depending on the damage. Anything else is guessing, albeit educated guessing.

Obviously, that level of investment isn't worth it for a single graphics card of any price, even if you could buy the test equipment and training, which you can't. The only people who will have it are the manufacturers, plus NVIDIA and AMD.

Masum Hasan

It sounds like you're not going to get anywhere with it and it might be worth getting rid of it to preserve your sanity. How much can one get for a broken RX 580 anyway?

To properly repair and troubleshoot high technology like this, the right test rig is required (think $thousands for a custom logic analyzer), various other tools, schematics, spare parts and training. Even then, a repair isn't guaranteed, depending on the damage. Anything else is guessing, albeit educated guessing.

Obviously, that level of investment isn't worth it for a single graphics card of any price, even if you could buy the test equipment and training, which you can't. The only people who will have it are the manufacturers, plus NVIDIA and AMD.
same problem happend to me
Screenshot_6.png

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

i try CMD, AMDVBFLASH, DOS, UEFI SHELL, but working