• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BSOD Memory_management

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Despite being maintained by PassMark, MemTest86 is still a single-threaded application at core, incapable of real multi-threading without producing false positives. Insufficient for today's hardware and must be written from scratch.
I sure wish people would do their homework before posting.

PassMark's MemTest86 has tested in multi-thread mode since 2011 - where the hardware supports it.

And so what? You are testing the RAM, not the CPU. And that is the same issue with your HCI MemTest so why would you suggest it if it "should not be used in 2019"? That makes no sense and, as I noted, is just not accurate.

RAM testing does not care how many threads or cores on the CPU you are using - except to improve testing speeds. That is why it is incorrect to say it is "intended for single-core processors with discrete memory controller and shouldn't be used in 2019."

I've been doing hardware tech support since the early 70s and MemTest86 on DEC and Vax systems since the late 80s. I have never - not once seen a "false positive" (with any decent tester!). A false positive would be where the program reports the RAM is faulty, but it is really good. If any error is reported, the RAM is bad. The problem is, no errors might be reported, but the RAM is still faulty - but that is the case with any software based memory tester, including your suggested HCI MemTest.

And to your HCI MemTest, there is nothing in its documentation about multi or single threaded application.

As I noted above, no software based program is conclusive. But to suggest it cannot do its job because it is single threaded (which was wrong to begin with), or that it should not be used in 2019 is just bad information and advice.

Sorry. Nothing personal. Those are just the facts and that's what matters here.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
I sure wish people would do their homework before posting.

PassMark's MemTest86 has tested in multi-thread mode since 2011 - where the hardware supports it.

And so what? You are testing the RAM, not the CPU. And that is the same issue with your HCI MemTest so why would you suggest it if it "should not be used in 2019"? That makes no sense and, as I noted, is just not accurate.

RAM testing does not care how many threads or cores on the CPU you are using - except to improve testing speeds. That is why it is incorrect to say it is "intended for single-core processors with discrete memory controller and shouldn't be used in 2019."

I've been doing hardware tech support since the early 70s and MemTest86 on DEC and Vax systems since the late 80s. I have never - not once seen a "false positive" (with any decent tester!). A false positive would be where the program reports the RAM is faulty, but it is really good. If any error is reported, the RAM is bad. The problem is, no errors might be reported, but the RAM is still faulty - but that is the case with any software based memory tester, including your suggested HCI MemTest.

And to your HCI MemTest, there is nothing in its documentation about multi or single threaded application.

As I noted above, no software based program is conclusive. But to suggest it cannot do its job because it is single threaded (which was wrong to begin with), or that it should not be used in 2019 is just bad information and advice.

Sorry. Nothing personal. Those are just the facts and that's what matters here.

Ever since Nehalem, memory bandwidth is somehow capped per core, unless other cores are in deep sleep.

To fully stress test memory modules, the memory must be accessed by several cores simultaneously. Otherwise, it will fail to detect some errors (bad configuration, overheating, lack of voltage, wrong timing) even after 10 hours.

HCI MemTest is outdated too, but you can run several instances of it, and assign each to a core / virtual core.

You should be using MemTest64 / AIDA64 Memory Stress Test / several instances of HCI MemTest to check for RAM errors.

Single core operation, obsolete in 2019, will only detect extreme errors or defective memory chips.

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Gee whiz. :( In other words, you are now confirming what I said all along - that is, no software based program is conclusive therefore users need to swap in known good RAM to see if the problems recur.
To fully stress test memory modules, the memory must be accessed by several cores simultaneously
Which MemTest86 does - again if you did your homework you would see.

I see no reason to continue this side discussion so I'm done here. Have a good day.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Ever since Nehalem, memory bandwidth is somehow capped per core, unless other cores are in deep sleep.
Unlike v4 which you are probably thinking about, the modern implementation is completely based on UEFI (can even be installed as a UEFI App on your PC). Legacy stuff has been completely removed (incl. BIOS support, PAE-based addressing, etc). New version does not have any downsides of the legacy version. Even devs themselves stated that v5 was re-written from scratch in order to address all issues at once.
Plus you are forgetting the main purpose of memtest: it was created to detect memory errors, like in OPs situation (e.g. faulty cells, banks etc). Overclocking stability testing is just a side-effect which over time grew up to be a full feature.

You should be using MemTest64 / AIDA64 Memory Stress Test / several instances of HCI MemTest to check for RAM errors.
That's a good way to test memory bandwidth and overall performance, but that' where it ends.
You will get jack shit for accurate error testing, since: a) you don't have access to the entire memory pool; b) your tests are running behind a dozen levels of abstraction; c) even if you do get errors, you don't know what's the cause due to .
Even something as banal and boring as running mdsched will give you more accurate results.

As much as I like what W1zzard has done with the tool, it's pretty much useless. Tested it on several Asus Zenbooks with some dead RAM just for fun (rarely booted between BSODs), and 4-5 runs wouldn't find a single error, cause the problematic addresses were out of userland's reach (reserved by system). Legacy memtest86 v4 found consistent errors on the first run within minutes.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
No point in argiung when @IceScreamer hasn't been back to post results...

Processor Ryzen 5 3600 PRO
Motherboard AsRock B450 Pro4
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34 /w Noctua NF-P12
Memory Silicon Power XPower Zenith 2x8GB @1600 MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC 8GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB / Crucial MX 500 1TB
Display(s) Dell P2419H
Case Fractal Design Pop Air /w 3x Arctic P12 PWM
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z + Edifier R1000T4
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 650W
Mouse Microsoft Intelimouse Pro
Keyboard IBM KB-8926
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Turns on on the first try! Usually.
Oh, I was gonna write that everything is fine so far. So from now on, if I don't post anything it means that everything is ok. It appears that the pagefile rebuild helped.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
OK, this may seem like a really dumb question but wouldn't the page file be rebuilt every time you reboot the system? Think about it, when you reboot the system you're essentially starting out with a clean memory slate. Any and all stuff in memory is wiped out so what is in the page file is useless. Right?

Display(s) Dell P2419H
Keyboard IBM KB-8926
OK, this may seem like a really dumb question but wouldn't the page file be rebuilt every time you reboot the system? Think about it, when you reboot the system you're essentially starting out with a clean memory slate. Any and all stuff in memory is wiped out so what is in the page file is useless. Right?
To be honest I know very little about this, but I figured since it is a file that is being written to it could have gotten corrupted somehow, especially when I cloned the drive. But as I said, I could be wrong.

EDIT: So I found this: "As most of you know, whenever you shut down your system, the contents of the memory (RAM) are automatically lost due to the loss of power. But when it comes to the pagefile, the content stays intact unless Windows removes them. This makes it possible for others to probe for data in the pagefile. "

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM

Not by default to quicken shutdown time. Where data security is crucial, registry entry ClearPageFileAtShutdown can be used to force pagefile cleanup at shutdown. But rebuilding the pagefile will tear down SSDs more quickly, slow down boot and shutdown time. Full disk encryption is a better option.

Last edited:
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Not by default to quicken shutdown time. Where data security is crucial, registry entry ClearPageFileAtShutdown can be used to force pagefile cleanup at shutdown. But rebuilding the pagefile will tear down SSDs more quickly, slow down boot and shutdown time. Full disk encryption is a better option.
I didn't think about that. That makes sense.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
To be honest I know very little about this, but I figured since it is a file that is being written to it could have gotten corrupted somehow, especially when I cloned the drive. But as I said, I could be wrong.

EDIT: So I found this: "As most of you know, whenever you shut down your system, the contents of the memory (RAM) are automatically lost due to the loss of power. But when it comes to the pagefile, the content stays intact unless Windows removes them. This makes it possible for others to probe for data in the pagefile. "

I would say it's imperative for critical items to be cleared out of the paging file. There is a command and windows that you enable via either Group Policy editor or the registry and it will delete the paging file on shut down every single time. Minor warning is that Windows might take a little bit longer to shut shutdown and startup.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
OK, this may seem like a really dumb question but wouldn't the page file be rebuilt every time you reboot the system?
Yes. While the file itself may stay on the disk, the priority of the data within it is reset every time you reboot - or even as you keep using Windows and open and close programs. For example, if you use Word and Windows stuffs data about Word in the PF, it that data is not going to stay as a priority if you close Word and move on to other tasks. Windows is smarter than that. The PF is there as part of the "virtual memory" the OS uses for "high priority" data. If Word is closed, that data is no longer high priority and it will be replaced, if the space is needed for newer, high priority data.

Display(s) Dell P2419H
Keyboard IBM KB-8926
Well, this now got even weirder. I just got a BSOD again, but now its QUOTA_UNDERFLOW.

This is the exact text from WhoCrashed:

On Tue 15.1.2019. 9:01:57 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0x000000000BFCCDF7)
Bugcheck code: 0x21 (0xFFFFFA800884A510, 0x2, 0xC000071, 0xBFCCDF7)
Error: QUOTA_UNDERFLOW
Bug check description: This indicates that quota charges have been mishandled by returning more quota to a particular block than was previously charged.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: QUOTA_UNDERFLOW

I think I'll have to nuke this from orbit. It just keeps happening so randomly. Googling the module number that apparently caused the issue returns nothing so I can't even troubleshoot this.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
Googling the module number that apparently caused the issue returns nothing so I can't even troubleshoot this.
1) replace memory with known working sticks
2) Run memtest86 (or at least mdsched if you manage to boot into windows)
3) Check HDD for defects (use Victoria HDD, do a full surface scan)
4) If nothing helped - replace the MoBo.
Since your previous BSODs were also related to system memory and you did not install any new drivers recently, it's safe to assume that it's not a software problem.

Display(s) Dell P2419H
Keyboard IBM KB-8926
1) replace memory with known working sticks
2) Run memtest86 (or at least mdsched if you manage to boot into windows)
3) Check HDD for defects (use Victoria HDD, do a full surface scan)
4) If nothing helped - replace the MoBo.
Since your previous BSODs were also related to system memory and you did not install any new drivers recently, it's safe to assume that it's not a software problem.
I mean the computer works great up to that point, Word, AutoCAD, Inventor, games, everything works, and then it just crashes, and not regularly.
Will have to source some new sticks for no.1. I ran memtest86 but I'll run it again for good measure and after that will check the HDD.
This is all so baffling, especially since I can't look up the module that causes these issues. I'm having more and more doubts about a bad HDD clone.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
I'm having more and more doubt about a bad HDD clone.
Did you clone the drive from a PC with different arch, or was it just the storage upgrade on this PC?

Display(s) Dell P2419H
Keyboard IBM KB-8926
Did you clone the drive from a PC with different arch, or was it just the storage upgrade on this PC?
It was the same PC as this one, I cloned my old WD 160GB to this new WD 1TB drive, and the only hardware change was a CPU upgrade from i3 2100 to i5 2400, and a CPU cooler upgrade, but that was a while ago.

Display(s) Dell P2419H
Keyboard IBM KB-8926

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Well, it seems you know what you're doing. My guesses are bad driver, bad cloning, bad memory, or bad HDD.

Scan the drive for errors (surface scan), scan the memory, try a fresh OS installation (complete re-partition). Make sure the BIOS/UEFI is updated and configured properly.

If you cloned from another PC (even with same hardware), it is possible for drivers to misbehave. Reinstall all drivers.

Look at the bright side, the BSOD code has changed, that's an improvement.

Display(s) Dell P2419H
Keyboard IBM KB-8926
Well, it seems you know what you're doing. My guesses are bad driver, bad cloning, bad memory, or bad HDD.

Scan the drive for errors (surface scan), scan the memory, try a fresh OS installation (complete re-partition). Make sure the BIOS/UEFI is updated and configured properly.

If you cloned from another PC (even with same hardware), it is possible for drivers to misbehave. Reinstall all drivers.

Look at the bright side, the BSOD code has changed, that's an improvement.
Yup, I just did another memtest86 scan, this time with the latest version, still no errors. About to do an HDD surface scan too. If that shows no errors then I'll try to use the PC as little as possible, only for the necessary stuff till I get a reasonable time window to reinstall the OS and download all my software. Thanks again for the help.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Yup, I just did another memtest86 scan, this time with the latest version, still no errors.
How long did you run it for? I'd suggest running it for no less than 24 hours.

Display(s) Dell P2419H
Keyboard IBM KB-8926
How long did you run it for? I'd suggest running it for no less than 24 hours.
This version does 4 runs on it's own, lasts about 2-3 hours. Previous one I ran for 12 I think, also no errors.
HDD surface scan also showed no errors.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
First uninstall ALL drivers and reinstall them.

I assume your previous HDD was SATA2, and the new one is SATA3.

Try a new SATA cable and then try using the secondary SATA controller.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Id get a fresh drive, no os at all, fresh OS, not image, test if it crashes then its probably ram