• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Build Log] Orange You Glad You Switched? (Re-build, Switch 810)

Winnah9000

NZXT Switch 810 Black
i7-2600K
Asus Maximus IV Extreme
2x Sapphire 7950
2x OCZ Vertex 3 60GB
WD VelociRaptor 300GB
Corsair HX1000 Sleeved
Laing D5 w/ BP dress kits
XSPC EX240
SR1 360
EK Supreme HF
EK 7950 Blocks (with EK single-slot brackets)
EK Maximus IV Extreme Block
EK Dual-Series 3-Slot Bridge
PrimoChill PrimoFlex LRT Black 1/2" ID

Overall orange/black theme, tired of all the black/red, green, blue.

Was keeping this on OCN to compete in MotM, but they don't allow sponsored builds :shadedshu

Keep watching this as I update it! :)

Winnah9000

Unboxing of the Switch 810 Black and a test mount of EX240 with push, push/pull fans:

Mobo came in!

Decided to do a mock placement of the board for anyone to reference. This is what E-ATX is like in this case :cool:

My 360 got here today, thanks Desert Rat! This is a bunch of other stuff going into the build as well (I forgot to add my HDs to the OP, updating now!).

Velociraptor 300GB

XSPC 450 Pump/res

XSPC EX240

Black Ice SR1 360

Rads compared

6 Bitspower Matte Black Fittings
4 Bitspower 90* Fittings

4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 + 2x 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 RAID 0

Xonar Essence STX + EK Supreme HF

Decided to replace the bracket on the mobo while I was sitting here. Its the 115x EK Bracket that keeps you from having to use spacers :up:

I felt like seeing if I could stuff a fan controller in the stealth bay with a 360 up top with push/pull fans... BYAH!

Look what UPS left for me:

USPS' turn today (big thanks to Bacchus451 for the good price and fast shipping :respect: ) :

Huge update :D

Here's my awesome package from EK! Big thanks to Gregor Hribernik at EK for helping me and keeping me up to date on progress since late January and the sponsorship/review material (review will be written as I build this weekend, I'll add it in the third post for the 7950 blocks/backplates). This would've been much more difficult to accomplish without him :respect:

EK FC-7950 Acetal + Nickel Blocks

EK FB-Maximus IV Extreme Block

EK FC-7950 Backplates

Unboxing of the 7950 blocks

Special notice now included with EK nickel blocks. Use coolants with corrosion inhibitors pre-mixed or make sure you include corrosion inhibitors in distilled water to make sure the plating does not fail.

Notice, Manual, Thermal Pads, and Hardware

That feel (or sight I guess) bro :D

I love this block. There's no other way to describe it. Its far better than the 5970 block I used to have (and I really liked that one). I'll save the other comments for the review :cool:

The pair together

Backplates unboxing (unwrapping technically :D )

Backplate, Manual, and Hardware/Thermal Pad

That's nifty :)

EK Maximus IV Extreme Block Unboxing

Manual, Thermal Pads, Hardware

I think EK really wanted to make sure I knew how to install it. Two manuals :p USE ALL THE MANUALS!

Oooo, shiny and gigantic :D

Again, an amazing block. Fantastic build quality, appearance, and just lots of thought went into it.

Everyone out of their shell!

An idea of how big the blocks are compared to backplates if they were installed (screwholes lined up) as well as an actual measurement

Family photo! This is the 7950 blocks, single slot brackets, backplates, Max IV block, EK HF Supreme Acetal, EK FC Bridge Dual-Serial 3-Slot, and EK FC 58x0/68x0/78x0 Links. So much EK, lol.

The prized jewel :) Big thanks to Mallory Kolbe at FrozenQ PC Mods for sponsoring this build! She was quick to answer my questions, got my sponsorship order put right in, and shipped immediately when it was ready! This reservoir's look and quality blew me away when I opened the box. I can't wait to get it installed and running!

And that about sums up the actual parts! Check the next post momentarily for a quick sneak peek at what I've been up to :)

Last edited:

Winnah9000

My plan is coming together... Nicely... *taps fingers together*

The paint on some pieces will be done Friday night, the other part needs to be sanded some more (this is exhausting, but here's the beginning of my labors):

Finished the mesh pieces, absolutely beautiful:

I forgot/didn't notice the mesh on the bottom sides... :shadedshu So I painted them and here they are (yes, the case is upside down, lol):

Forgot how much I hated sleeving, lol. These came undone since the last build due to my terrible sleeving skills:

Don't worry, I redid them so they'll stay in place. Discovered a technique that actually works (consistently too).

IT LIVES:

That's professional cable management on the rear :D

I also finished painting my EX240 rad after about 3 or 4 tries :)

Redoing my sleeving on the new Corsair HX1000 :D Here's two firsts I've seen, the orange/black camo Paracord and braided cables!

Quick note, I have been redoing that sleeving with a better braid :cool: I'll take pictures once I have all the cables I want braided done :)

Here's a quick top secret preview :p Replacing the labels on my Corsair HX 1000 with some better colored choices :cool: (Ignore the peeling sticker, I superglued it and its flat now. My fingers were mad though :( )

Huge update, brace yourselves.

Goodbye air setup (especially that stock Intel cooler, ugh).

Gotta love when you already have rads installed but you have to remove them anyways -_-

You're coming out too.

Let the mobo dissection begin! This is the stock cooler removed. (Look at the AS5 on the CPU from the Intel cooler, gross)

Now we place our thermal pads in the appropriate areas :)

Thermal paste :)

Absolutely sexy :cool: My first FB block, always wanted one, never had the money.

Card #1. Powercolor 7950. (I'll be writing a review for the whole block and installation in the coming days once I get my A/C fixed - 82F is not comfortable, that's part of the reason I'm awake at 4AM - so I can use normal ambient temps for better comparisons)

They are getting really cheap on these coolers :mad: No heatsink for anything besides the die? I think it might touch the RAM, but that's not even thermal pads, just some weird plastic material.

Naked :p

Gross.

That's much better :D

Thermal pads and paste applied :cool:

Gotta prepare the backplate with a thermal pad for the rear of the VRMs :cool:

So sexy.

Just put on my gloss black painted single-slot bracket ;)

Card #2. Sapphire 7950. They were almost identical to disassemble.

Sapphire is much better about thermal paste :toast:

Just as awesome as the first one :D

Some barbs.

Finally get off the stock cooler :D

The first tube to be installed :rockout:

Here's the bridge installed with the FC-Links. I had to make a trip to Lowe's to get appropriately sized screws because I bought the bridge used and he didn't include screws :shadedshu

Big thanks to Kortwa for getting these stop fittings and the pump top out to me at the perfect time :respect:

First bridge I've used, looks way better in person :D (weighs an unbelievable ton though :p )

Got the board back in, got the 360 back in with tubes (extra slack) attached so I could actually clamp it down :)

Not going to lie. I made a huge mistake going with the 250MM res and D5. They were not going to fit at all with push/pull on the 240 at the bottom. I ended up sacrificing one of the top fans and both of the bottoms :cry: Not to mention the filling, oh boy.

No res.

Res :D Just like magic.

Now its gone again :p

This is not an optical illusion. I leaned the reservoir outward, undid the stop fitting, attached a barb (do not use 90* to fill, absolutely worthless, trust me), put tubing on and funneled in. Again, poor idea of the huge res/pump, but they worked out in the end.

Leak test!

Nothing was seen for 8 hours, so that was good enough for me, wired it all up.

Here's some more close-up views of everything in it's current state.

So the liquid is done, but there is more to come ;)

*NOTE* I've been asked this a few times in PMs actually. "How did you mount the res?" Well, I took the normal mounts FrozenQ provides (they gave me normal and extended, wasn't sure what I needed), put those on to have proper spacing. I then put three zipties together, and wrapped it around the res at each end by the acetal (blends really well :D ) and looped them through the wire grommets. Also, the pump keeps it pushed up and it keeps the pump from bursting forth (it was a nightmare with that crazy angle I have down there), gotta love symbiotic relationships :pimp: *NOTE*

And, after many painstaking soldering sessions (I mean literal pain, burning/cuts... ), I have achieved my goal (part of it, the finer points will be taken care of later :p )

Last edited:

Winnah9000

Reserved for final photos.

Feel free to post questions/comments :)

System Name Vulcan
Processor i6 6600K
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z170X UD3
Cooling Thermaltake Frio Silent 14
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 1TB SSD
Display(s) QNIX 27 Inch 1440p
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Cooler Master V750
Software Win 10 64-bit
Thanks for the multiple cool pictures. This is certainly a great case to do a project with.

System Name Home Theatre
Processor i5 750
Motherboard Gigabyte P55 USB3
Memory 4GB ADATA 1333
Video Card(s) Sapphire 1GB ATI 5670
Storage 32gb Kingston SSD (Os)/ 1TB and 640GB Caviar Blue (Storage)
Display(s) Sony KDL40HX800
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) HT Claro Plus
Power Supply Corsair HX650
Software Windows 7 64-bit
I hope you fixed the leakage problem because those Brawny Towels make your rig look hideous. Other than those Brawny Towels, your rig is magnificent my friend.

Winnah9000

I hope you fixed the leakage problem because those Brawny Towels make your rig look hideous. Other than those Brawny Towels, your rig is magnificent my friend.

Lol, I never had a leak, its common practice to place them under potential leak points (any connection point of tubing really) to be able to see the slightest leak.

My previous build (6 months ago), I just threw it in and ran it, no problem. This one I was going to play it more safely because I've never worked with a separate res and pump (usually use the pump/res combos), that and the $3,500+ I have in all of my build :laugh:

Thank you :toast:

System Name Home Theatre
Processor i5 750
Memory 4GB ADATA 1333
Lol, I never had a leak, its common practice to place them under potential leak points (any connection point of tubing really) to be able to see the slightest leak.

My previous build (6 months ago), I just threw it in and ran it, no problem. This one I was going to play it more safely because I've never worked with a separate res and pump (usually use the pump/res combos), that and the $3,500+ I have in all of my build :laugh:

Thank you :toast:

:twitch:. Must be doing some serious gaming man.
:toast: for the 7950s. I have only one though.

Winnah9000

:twitch:. Must be doing some serious gaming man.
:toast: for the 7950s. I have only one though.

I do have EyeFinity:

Been trying to sell the set of them for awhile to go to a 2560 monitor, but have yet to find anyone :(

Yeah, they are really awesome cards (mine don't like overclocking as far as I can tell though :shadedshu ).

System Name Home Theatre
Processor i5 750
Memory 4GB ADATA 1333
Nice, making good use of them 7950s.

Winnah9000

I retract my statement of these cards not overclocking. I'm now #1 in the world with 2x 7950s!

System Name H2o Box
Processor Intel(R) Xeon e5-2690 v2 Stock 3.300 GHz stock
Motherboard MSI X79A-G43 Plus (MS-7760) v3
Cooling CPU EK & Phobya G-Changer 360 V2.0 RAD H2o VGA "AlphaCool M18" Hybrid [pump replaced 18/8/21]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 16Gb 11-12-12-32 2T @ 1866Mhz [locked]
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1080ti AMP EXTREME
Storage HyperX Fury 120GB & Savage 480GB SSD, Seagate 250GB,250GB 7200rpm Kingston 64GB SSD
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG32VQR 2560*1440 165Hz VA Panel
Case Corsair O-800D
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Be Quiet! [Dark Power Pro 11] 1200W CM replaced [7-4-2017]
Mouse Zelotes T-90
Keyboard K66 Mechanical US Layout
Software Win 10 Pro 64Bit v 20H2 / OS [build 19043.1237] WFEP 120.2212.3530.0
Decided to do a mock placement of the board for anyone to reference. This is what E-ATX is like in this case

Hi

Looks like a micro itx, lol; lots of room to breath, sweet build; loving the zip magic with the res

thanks for posting this

atb (all the best)

Law-II

Winnah9000

Lol, yeah, this case is pretty big. Thanks! That was the easy way since I didn't want to drill holes for the screws to the mounts.

On an entirely different topic. My girlfriend of 3.5 years broke up with me on Sunday, so I'm not feeling so hot. Don't expect a whole lot of me around the forums for a bit. I thank everyone for their views and comments and praise on this build, but I won't be doing anything to it for awhile.