• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Build Log] Refurb Storm 920

System Name Harley
Processor Intel core i7 3820
Motherboard ASRock Extreme6 X79
Cooling NZXT Kraken X60
Memory Geil Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600+ 16GB
Video Card(s) EVGA SuperClocked GTX Titan
Storage OCZ Vertex4 128GB SSD / Toshiba 7200 2TB HDD
Display(s) Crossover 30" 2560x1600
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB - Custom Modded
Audio Device(s) n/a
Power Supply CoolerMaster Silent Pro Hybrid 1300w
Software Win7 64
Refurb Storm 920

This is a completed build log of my previous stystem, but refurbished with a few new parts and extensive upkeep job.

Lets start with the old:

This rig had not been cleaned out in over a year, it had some serious dust bunnys and poor wire management.

Case: Antec 300
key notes about case, it got eat up in Barstow, CA while it sat in my car for over a week with the windows rolled up in 100+ degree heat a few years back, oh ya, a system was inside it, but wasnt damaged except for motherboard. The paint on the case,....was roughed up from this hell. The case had some previous small mod jobs done to it, such as a side window and a top window, but nothing great looking tbh. So this case is just not reusable, and will be trashed accordingly.

System: i7 920 cooled by a Vigor Monsoon III | EVGA X58 SLI LE | ASUS 5850 | OCZ Fatality 700w | 6GB OCZ XMP DDR3 1600 (3x2) | 750GB WD Black HDD | Lite-On combo drive

key notes about system, the combo drive had some issues, each time the door would be opened, an error message would pop up, and pop up again when closed, but nevertheless, it still worked. One of the fans shat out a long while back on the cooler, was replaced with an extra fan I had sitting around from my previous build before that.

920 after getting the old paste cleaned off, she is still a sexy and strong runner.

EVGA X58 LE board, this was the board I replaced with the damage board from barstow, its been running like a champ ever since.

Some of the blandest looking ram I have used to date, they were cheap at the time, but run well, even still I really considered replacing them with something more attractive, but no cookie for this rebuild.

ASUS 5850, it started giving me some troubles this year, but I knew why, see below.

dust bunnys, and more bunnys

and more..

btw, how much damn thermal grease did ASUS use ....sheesh.

Now for some cleaning up

stock paste was swapped out with some PK3, a proper amount this time imho.

gpu fully disassembled for easy cleaning, the stock vanilla coolers carry quite a bit of copper, i was actually surprised.

and put back together again, should run much much cooler now, better than it did out of the box years back.

Vigor Moonsoon getting some new fans, RW Black and Reds, CFM rating at full around 80 or so.

I think it looks much better than it did with one blue and one black.

PK3 for my i7 as well, may have squirted a tad too much there, I did try to swab a lil off the top with a q-tip.

re-installing the Monsoon, btw, I hate this bracket style, bolt on from the back can $%@#

OCZ PSU can finally show its face, back in its Antec days, it was upright, hiding its charm to the back of the case.
Now it can proudly display a little bit of its charm. I had some serious work to do on the inside of this thing, it was dusty as hell. Should be good to go now.

The case I choose to replace the old Antec was CM Storm Scout, it was on sale at the egg, and I didnt really give a aats rass about it since I wasnt planing on keeping this refurb anyways. But with that said, I am very glad I dont need to keep this thing, this case sucks hard. Yes it looks nice and all, but damn CM really shat on quality here.

New ASUS Blue Ray installed in it

I had a few blemishes in the side panel window, but I will not bore you with those photos

most of these case photos were taking after the hardware instalation

now for the insides

One thing I really hate about this board, is the 8 pin location,....

now for the ugly..........this is why I will never purchase a non modulate psu plus a small case (for same build)

I just dont have time to straiten that mess out.

Final Specs:
i7 920 (unchanged)
Vigor Monsoon III (tweaked)
EVGA X58 SLI LE (unchaged)
ASUS 5850 (refurbed/cleaned)
OCZ Fatality 700w (unchanged/cleaned)
OCZ XMP DDR3 1600 6GB (unchanged)
CM Storm Scout (new)
ASUS Blue Ray Drive (new)
Seagate 2TB HDD (new)

While she is all put together now, I have not yet even attempted to boot it up, it got late, so will have some finishing photos of this tomorrow after a fresh windows install.

Huddo93

System Name Gaming Rig
Processor i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard Asus Z77 Deluxe-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory RipjawsX 8GB @ 2133MHz 11-11-11-30
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX670 SC @ 1300MHz core
Storage OCZ Vertex 4 256GB + 1TB Samsung HDD
Display(s) 23" LG W2343T
Case Corsair 650D
Power Supply Corsiar AX-850
amazing improvement. I used a Storm Scout before I went and got a Corsair 650D. You have done very well for the space that the storm scout gives you and its looks very neat considering what it allows you to do in terms of cable management and space!

System Name Harley
Processor Intel core i7 3820
Motherboard ASRock Extreme6 X79
Cooling NZXT Kraken X60
Memory Geil Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600+ 16GB
Video Card(s) EVGA SuperClocked GTX Titan
Storage OCZ Vertex4 128GB SSD / Toshiba 7200 2TB HDD
Display(s) Crossover 30" 2560x1600
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB - Custom Modded
Audio Device(s) n/a
Power Supply CoolerMaster Silent Pro Hybrid 1300w
Software Win7 64
amazing improvement. I used a Storm Scout before I went and got a Corsair 650D. You have done very well for the space that the storm scout gives you and its looks very neat considering what it allows you to do in terms of cable management and space!

Ya, I didnt really pay attention to the case size when I bought it, saw the price and clicked checkout. I didnt really expect this to be nearly the identical size as my antec 300, its actually a few hairs shorter on the height, as I had to remove the top fan to fit the cooler, where as the antec fit both. I was really hoping for easier cable management, but out the window that idea went when I unboxed the case and saw its size.

I am disappointed in CM's quality with this case. the plastic parts for the slots in the back are weak and flimsy, broke one of them trying to figure out how they worked, luckily CM gave me a few extras. The side panel window had some scratches, and one crack. The front panel has a bent bay slot, none of these were shipping damage, as the box looked perfectly fine and the packaging was well done.

But I think im happy enough with the overall outcome of the rebuild.

Processor Intel® Core i5 6600
Motherboard Asus H170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 2400mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Geforce GTX 960 G1 4GB Gaming
Storage 256GB Intel SSD 525 Series
Display(s) 24" LG LED Monitor
Case Corsair Carbide 200R
Power Supply Seasonic MK12II 620W
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 x64
Yea I agree.Looks good! Decent job of cable management, and looks much better than it did! =P
Nice work!

System Name Tiffany
Processor Intel i7 4770K @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
Cooling Corsair H100i Push-Pull
Memory Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 16GB
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290 Crossfire @ 925Mhz
Storage WD 500GB + Seagate 1 TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2420TX 120hz
Case Cooler Master CM690II Black & White
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
Software Windows 7
Hey, nice to see another build log from you after the Harley-Davidson mod.

Nice cable management there, always good to see somebody taking care of some old but strong hardware!

:toast: