• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Building a Keyboard 7: Kailh Master Switches, GK108 kit, Silicone + PBT Keycaps

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Kailh has been on a roll off late with switches targeting keyboard enthusiasts, and we now examine five more from the brand. These are the Red Bean Pudding, Fried Egg, Canary, Polia, and White Owl switches, all of which get assembled on a Skyloong GK108 kit and paired with silicone and PBT keycaps.

Show full review

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
Those silicone keycaps really got me interested. Their sound seems to be right up my alley, with lower sound and faster decay than ABS and PBT. Too bad they don't have translucent legends but you can't have everything. Now I just need to find a perfect switch (very tactile but silent, around 45gf) and my recent obsession with keyboards can conclude - to my wife's relief, since we both work from home and Akko blue switches are distracting even from the next room. Thank you for this seris of articles.

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Those silicone keycaps really got me interested. Their sound seems to be right up my alley, with lower sound and faster decay than ABS and PBT. Too bad they don't have translucent legends but you can't have everything. Now I just need to find a perfect switch (very tactile but silent, around 45gf) and my recent obsession with keyboards can conclude - to my wife's relief, since we both work from home and Akko blue switches are distracting even from the next room. Thank you for this seris of articles.
Yeah, with the right type of switches (as in, most of them), they dampen the sound significantly.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
"Membrane keebs suck, mechanical ftw" and then slaps on silicone keycaps...

Here I was thinking that Kailh learned their lesson with stems on V1 box switches and now they're pulling this thing with those light guide posts. It's just asking for trouble.

• Haha

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
"Membrane keebs suck, mechanical ftw" and then slaps on silicone keycaps...

Here I was thinking that Kailh learned their lesson with stems on V1 box switches and now they're pulling this thing with those light guide posts. It's just asking for trouble.
You still get the feedback mechanisms with the switches no matter what keycaps you use. But anyone being elitist about mechanical keyboards is in the wrong place.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
Wake me up when someone comes up with low profile switches.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Wake me up when someone comes up with low profile switches.
There are plenty of low profile mechanical switches already, including from Cherry, Kailh, and Gateron, among others.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Software Windows 10 x64
The only such keyboard I am aware of (haven't checked for months or more though) is from Corsair, but they flat out refuse to release such with brown switches, so... meh.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
The only such keyboard I am aware of (haven't checked for months or more though) is from Corsair, but they flat out refuse to release such with brown switches, so... meh.
CORSAIR uses Cherry switches mostly, and Cherry only has the MX Red as a low profile option. You will need to look outside of Cherry, or even just get a kit like the one in this article and purchase Kailh Choc or Gateron Low Profile switches separately with the keycaps of your choice. There are also some pre-built options, such as this Epomaker NT68 Low Profile I reviewed recently which comes with Gateron Low Profile Brown (or others), for example: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/epomaker-nt68-low-profile-keyboard/

AlexGost

Wow! This is one of the best articles I've read here. Thank you!
It is amazing that you can make your own keyboard that easy and then show it to your friends.
As a person that builds his own rigs I really appreciate this article about DYI keyboard.

Keychron K1, K3, K5 or K7,
Tecware Phantom L,
Logitech G815 or G915

All of the above are low profile mechanical, and all of them have an option for tactile switches.

And all of the above are not really new releases...

This looks like the perfect keeb kit (especially with bluetooth for an extra $10).
Sadly, they don't seem to offer it in my required British layout

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Software Windows 10 x64
Looks like I am shit out of luck if I'm interested in localised keycaps anyway.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Looks like I am shit out of luck if I'm interested in localised keycaps anyway.
Well most keycaps are interchangeable between the MX stem design, so if you do find a set even from the likes of CORSAIR/Razer etc, it should still work. More important is making sure the kit is compliant to your language choice, or at least can be mapped as such. If not, your best bet would be to go with a mainstream brand keyboard that comes in your local language.

This looks like the perfect keeb kit (especially with bluetooth for an extra $10).
Sadly, they don't seem to offer it in my required British layout
If by "British layout" you mean ISO layout then no. If you mean ANSI with some of the keys rearranged then that's done in software as all keys can be programmed for whatever you want, you just need an appropriate keycap set.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Software Windows 10 x64
Well most keycaps are interchangeable between the MX stem design, so if you do find a set even from the likes of CORSAIR/Razer etc, it should still work. More important is making sure the kit is compliant to your language choice, or at least can be mapped as such. If not, your best bet would be to go with a mainstream brand keyboard that comes in your local language.
Yes but a mechanical keyboard already cost obscene amounts of money. Extra set of custom caps would probably make the whole thing equal a less powerful standalone PC.

If by "British layout" you mean ISO layout then no. If you mean ANSI with some of the keys rearranged then that's done in software as all keys can be programmed for whatever you want, you just need an appropriate keycap set.
I did mean ISO.