• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Building a Keyboard 8: Akko Acrylic Gasket Mount Kit, ASA Low Profile Keycaps, CS Sponge Switches

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
We take three newly announced products from Akko and combine them for a fancy-looking custom keyboard that doesn't break the bank. The Akko ACR 75 is an acrylic gasket-mount kit we paired with the new ASA-Low Profile Prunus Lannesiana PBT keycaps and Akko CS Spong dual-tactile mechanical switches.

Show full review

System Name PATATAS-3XTR3M3
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Phanteks Glacier One 240MP
Memory 32gb (16x2) G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG STRIX RTX 3080 Ti UV:850@1850
Storage Boot Drive: ADATA XPG SX6000 256gb, Storage Drive: 1TB Samsung 980 x2
Display(s) Lenovo G27Q-20
Case Lian Li O11D Mini
Audio Device(s) Samson SR850 connected to a Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Akko MOD006, Durock POMS
How are the CS Sponges compared to other tactile switches like the MX Brown, Glorious Pandas/Boba u4T? Been eye-ing on the CS Sponge for a while because it's really cheap but I can't really find any comprehensive comparisons to other tactile switches. I only read somewhere that the Akko CS blues were better so It's making me hesitant

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
How are the CS Sponges compared to other tactile switches like the MX Brown, Glorious Pandas/Boba u4T? Been eye-ing on the CS Sponge for a while because it's really cheap but I can't really find any comprehensive comparisons to other tactile switches. I only read somewhere that the Akko CS blues were better so It's making me hesitant
It's very different from the typical tactile switch, since it has two tactile bumps at the beginning of the downstroke and the beginning of the upstroke. You get this switch if you like the tactile bumps, which are relatively more pronounced than the MX Brown but not as much as the Glorious Panda, and not necessarily for feedback about the switch actuation itself. As such, it's not better or worse.. Just different.

Processor AMD R5 3600
Motherboard ASUS X370 Prime Pro
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3000Mhz C15 @ 3600Mhz C16
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 FE
Storage 4x 1TB SSD
Display(s) Benq XL2411Z 144Hz + Asus VS24H
Case Corsair 270R
Audio Device(s) Yamaha AG03 + Rode Procaster
Power Supply Corsair AX 650W 90+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight
Keyboard KBD67 Lite R3 (Gazzew Boba U4 + AKKO Midnight)
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
This kit would be a lot more interesting if AKKO went with south facing LEDs and had a better MCU.

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
This kit would be a lot more interesting if AKKO went with south facing LEDs and had a better MCU.
Akko's been active on social media about suggestions for south-facing LED kits, hand-lubed switches etc. Probably happening sooner than later.