• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Building Home Network

I'll be pulling CAT 6a (basic unshielded) for new home - about 8 total ethernet ports throughout the house - leading to a closet with patch panel.
I wonder how to pull the cable through the wood frame, can I pull it alongside electrical wires, or should I purposefully lead the Ethernet separate from electrical?

What are best practices regarding that? If so how much separation do I want from electrical?

System Name K9
Processor i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz and 32deg C - delid + Grizzly Conductonaught LM
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Custom water cooling loop - GPU + mobo (+VRM's) + CPU
Memory G Skill - Trident Z RGB DDR4 - 3866Mhz x 32Gb @ 3800Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 11Gb GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce Extreme @ 2250Mhz
Storage Samsung 500Gb M2 970 EVO + Samsung 850 Pro SSD + ADATA 512Gb SSD + Samsung 1Tb & 3T + WD 1Tb + 3Tb
Display(s) ASUS 27" ROG Swift 1440p @ 165Hz & BenQ 27" LED
Case Thermaltake Core P7 - Open frame
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z906 - 5.1ch
Power Supply EVGA 1200W
Mouse Roccat LeadR + Razer Nagar V2 Pro
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX with Cherry Red switches
Software Win 10 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores v/fast
I'll be pulling CAT 6a (basic unshielded) for new home - about 8 total ethernet ports throughout the house - leading to a closet with patch panel.
I wonder how to pull the cable through the wood frame, can I pull it alongside electrical wires, or should I purposefully lead the Ethernet separate from electrical?

What are best practices regarding that? If so how much separation do I want from electrical?
hi joecool,

If u r using unshielded cat6 then separate them as there will be electrical interference.

I usually install infrastructure/backbone cabling about 1.0 m apart - if possible.

regards

i forgot to ask = what type of wall construction do you have ie: brick veneer or ??

It will be wood frame house 2"x 6" (USA standard)

1m apart - do you have to stick to that distance at all times? Say if you want termination box closer to a power outlet? Does the wire twisting itself not provide itself some resistance from electrical interference? I definitely want to be 10Gb compatible with the 6a. I plan on using this: Cat6A Riser|Unshielded

I marked the approx Ethernet location in the house below in green...

IMG_0524.jpg

It will be wood frame house 2"x 6" (USA standard)

1m apart - do you have to stick to that distance at all times? Say if you want termination box closer to a power outlet? Does the wire twisting itself not provide itself some resistance from electrical interference? I definitely want to be 10Gb compatible with the 6a. I plan on using this: Cat6A Riser|Unshielded

I marked the approx Ethernet location in the house below in green...

View attachment 195749

I think if you can you should. If you can't then maybe plan which node will get a bit of interference. I.E I would avoid having interference on AP for an instance and will take a hit on a desktop, not always manageable but just a suggestion.