• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Building manually a Tower, Physically - Asking for advice

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Ok guys, I'm going to work on the PSU now. Thank you very much, you're help is INCREDIBLE.

My only fear about what I've done BEFORE: I had some problems putting the Noctua in the right place so I removed it 3 times while the Thermal Paste was already on it, should I clean and re-do everythign or it will not be an issue?
Yes you should redo it. Use isopropyl alcohol to remove the thermal paste.

Do the Noctua after you get the cables wired in so you don't have to pull it prematurely again.

Ok guys. I'm not THAT far.

I'm actually scared since many cables of the PSU are sloppy as hell and too "hard" to be guided inside the case.

I hope to have the space for everything since I'm pretty sure I'm not being perfect here.

I still have to connect many things of the case: I have 2 4-pin thingies from the fans, but on the moba I saw a not-labeled 4-pin male, should I use that, with a splitter?

And FROM the case to the INSIDE there are 2 USB3.0 cables that I really don't understand, they are normal usb cables.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Why skt2011? Don't get me wrong, I love my 3820 but unless there is a reason you need the extra cores, extra memory channels, or extra PCI-E lanes, I wouldn't go this route unless you see a deal that makes this just as palatable as a skt1150 rig. Otherwise skt1150 will probably get you where you're going for less money.

Basically, if skt2011 doesn't offer any features you need, don't invest in it. It's a waste for your purposes. Not to mention it consumes more power because you have more cache, more cores, more memory controller, more PCI-E root complex, more pins, etc. For a gaming rig none of these features will help you except for PCI-E in multi (more than 2 GPUs,) GPU configs or the need to add more PCI-E devices like a RAID card or a multi-port ethernet card.

The PC powers up for less than a second. Then it shuts immediately down.

This is the end of my journey, I'll take it to a technician and well...

System Name Grand Aniki
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard AsRock B450m Pro4
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory GSkill FlareX 16 GB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus DUAL RX 480 8 GB
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1 TB, WD Blue 3 TB, Kingston HyperX Savage 240 GB
Display(s) Dell U2515H & Zowie XL2411P
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DGX
Power Supply Cooler Master V750 SM
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cooler master Masterkeys Pro M

Did you remember to plug in the CPU's power cable?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1

Does it do this and not do it again until you unplug it for a moment then plug it back in? It could be a sign of a short. IIRC EPS12v being unplugged will make most boards just hang when you turn it on.

I would reset the BIOS/CMOS and try again. The best thing you can do it to put the machine together outside the chassis to rule out a short and to verify that it's working in the first place.

Is it really on for one full second or is it more briefly and less than one second? A quick start up and turn off (< 1 second) is definitely an indicator of a short. A full second or more before shutting off could be due to a motherboard incompatibility with either memory or the CPU and you might need a newer BIOS but with my P9X79 Deluxe the DRAM led got lit up and the machine stayed on.

You really should put the latest BIOS for your motherboard on a FLASH drive and use USB BIOS Flashback to get the latest on there, that will rule out the BIOS without needing to get anything working other than the motherboard and PSU as it doesn't require a CPU or memory to even be installed for it to work. I needed to do this when I first bought my board because my memory wasn't supported on the BIOS that the board shipped with and after flashing the BIOS to the latest it booted up without a problem.

Thanks guys, I'll surely take it to someone but since I worked so hard on it I'm quite depressed to do so, he won't have the "loving hands" I had.

It is MUCH briefer than a second, much shorter indeed.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Thanks guys, I'll surely take it to someone but since I worked so hard on it I'm quite depressed to do so, he won't have the "loving hands" I had.

It is MUCH briefer than a second, much shorter indeed.

That's definitely a short, disconnect power now before you damage the board if you haven't already. You should simply rebuild it outside of the chassis to ensure that it works as you probably have a ground fault. You don't need someone else to figure this out for you, it's pretty obvious what is going on (at least to me).

Did you forget to install standoffs or forget to use paper or some other kind of non-conductive washer between the motherboard, the standoffs, and the bolts going into the standoffs? No metal should be in contact with the motherboard except for cables and connectors. Even metal mounting brackets for coolers should have some kind of spacer between the bracket and the motherboard to prevent a short.

Guys, is there any way to know WHICH BIOS does my Motherboard have?

Because the technician said that probably is an old one and it can't be updated because the CPU isn't supported by it.

System Name Enslaver :)
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B650-Plus
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D14 with LED fans, Case: 2 front in - 1 rear out
Memory 2x16GB Kingston Fury Beast RGB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 4070Ti OC
Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Display(s) LG CX OLED 65"
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh C Performance
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard ASUS Strix Tactic Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
you need a CPU that is supported like an super cheap on to update the bios and then the better CPU starts working
edit: so bringing it to a shop for assembly is a good choice

Last edited:

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
System Name Shoebox Sandwich | Razer Blade 14 | Synology DS418 w/ 4X8TB WD Red | iPhone 15 Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi | Razer thing
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB w/ Lian Li P28 + Corsair AF120 Slim | Double fan vapour chamber
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 2TB + Lexar NM790 4TB | 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB NVMe external SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW & Sony A90K 42" | 14" QHD IPS 165Hz & Sony X90J 65" 4K TV
Case FormD T1 - v2.1 - Titanium colourway w Aluminium mesh | Razer Blade 14
Audio Device(s) Schiit Hel 2E (Focal Clear & HiFiMAN HE-4XX & DROP PC38X) | Samsung Q950A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum | Razer 230W brick
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate Mercury | Roccat Kain 202
Keyboard DIY Geek 64 PCB (Kailh Box Deep Sea - Matcha XDA Keycaps) | Corsair K63
VR HMD Oculus Quest
Software Windows 11 Home | Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores 2022 MINI Countryman SE PHEV Hybrid ALL4 | British Racing Green| Malt Brown Interior| YOURS Trim
go into the bios and somewhere it'll tell you.
Only problem doing that is that the OP can't get the pc to stay on for longer than a second.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Okay, that motherboard seeing how its an Asus, should have the ability if you have power connected to it, put a USB stick in it with the newest BIOS on it, press the button on the back with the recycle looking symbol with the arrows for it to flash to the newest BIOS without actually needing the system to be running.

Read the manual on that. Itll give you step by step what to do. Ive never done it.

I havent read the whole thread, but to me it sounds like something is shorted out. You used the standoffs for the motherboard right?

The motherboard you have was released when Ivy Bridge E was released, so it should come with BIOS already on it with support for your chip. Something else is going on.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
you need a CPU that is supported like an super cheap on to update the bios and then the better CPU starts working
edit: so bringing it to a shop for assembly is a good choice
WRONG! His ASUS board, like many now, have USB Flashback which lets you flash the BIOS on the board using a flash drive. It can be done without a CPU or memory installed.

Is there any way to know which BIOS is on it now?
Doesn't matter. Just flash the latest one using USB Flashback, then you'll know for sure and you'll be able to rule it out.

I also feel ignored considering I already said that you should do this as I encountered this very same issue except for a different reason, my DRAM wasn't supported and the board didn't like it until I flashed using this method...
You really should put the latest BIOS for your motherboard on a FLASH drive and use USB BIOS Flashback to get the latest on there, that will rule out the BIOS without needing to get anything working other than the motherboard and PSU as it doesn't require a CPU or memory to even be installed for it to work. I needed to do this when I first bought my board because my memory wasn't supported on the BIOS that the board shipped with and after flashing the BIOS to the latest it booted up without a problem.

Okay, that motherboard seeing how its an Asus, should have the ability if you have power connected to it, put a USB stick in it with the newest BIOS on it, press the button on the back with the recycle looking symbol with the arrows for it to flash to the newest BIOS without actually needing the system to be running.

Read the manual on that. Itll give you step by step what to do. Ive never done it.

I havent read the whole thread, but to me it sounds like something is shorted out. You used the standoffs for the motherboard right?

The motherboard you have was released when Ivy Bridge E was released, so it should come with BIOS already on it with support for your chip. Something else is going on.
It sounds exactly like a short considering it comes on and goes off in a split second. That scream ground-fault to me. Unsupported CPUs typically hang, not shut off.

Last edited:
Thank you guys, this is very important for me. I'll say that to the technicians and it scares me a little that THEY didn't know this.

News.

We updated the BIOS and tried without RAM. Nothing.

I'll try to then make the Warranty of the Moba work, to change it. Maybe it's her.

System Name Shoebox Sandwich | Razer Blade 14 | Synology DS418 w/ 4X8TB WD Red | iPhone 15 Pro
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB w/ Lian Li P28 + Corsair AF120 Slim | Double fan vapour chamber
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 2TB + Lexar NM790 4TB | 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB NVMe external SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW & Sony A90K 42" | 14" QHD IPS 165Hz & Sony X90J 65" 4K TV
Audio Device(s) Schiit Hel 2E (Focal Clear & HiFiMAN HE-4XX & DROP PC38X) | Samsung Q950A
Keyboard DIY Geek 64 PCB (Kailh Box Deep Sea - Matcha XDA Keycaps) | Corsair K63
VR HMD Oculus Quest
Benchmark Scores 2022 MINI Countryman SE PHEV Hybrid ALL4 | British Racing Green| Malt Brown Interior| YOURS Trim
Have you tried completely disassembling your pc and build it again? Perhaps test it OUTSIDE of the case after reassembling it (eg on the mobo box). This way at least you don't have to worry about wasting time for cable management if it is a faulty product that you need to return.

I did this for a friend a few years ago when I was trying to diagnose a similar problem. It turned out to be the case's front USB, when that was left unplugged from the mobo it worked fine.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Have you tried completely disassembling your pc and build it again? Perhaps test it OUTSIDE of the case after reassembling it (eg on the mobo box). This way at least you don't have to worry about wasting time for cable management if it is a faulty product that you need to return.

I did this for a friend a few years ago when I was trying to diagnose a similar problem. It turned out to be the case's front USB, when that was left unplugged from the mobo it worked fine.

I know that I'm feeling ignored wrt to that theory, so the thread might as well be closed. I've been saying this from the get go; that it sounds like a ground fault/short but we'll never know unless the tower is connected outside the chassis.

Sending the board back won't fix your problem if it is a ground fault or a short if that is what's going on. YOU must fix that by mounting it properly in the chassis.

I'll put this back here again, just to try and make my point again but it doesn't seem like you're listening.
That's definitely a short, disconnect power now before you damage the board if you haven't already. You should simply rebuild it outside of the chassis to ensure that it works as you probably have a ground fault. You don't need someone else to figure this out for you, it's pretty obvious what is going on (at least to me).

Did you forget to install standoffs or forget to use paper or some other kind of non-conductive washer between the motherboard, the standoffs, and the bolts going into the standoffs? No metal should be in contact with the motherboard except for cables and connectors. Even metal mounting brackets for coolers should have some kind of spacer between the bracket and the motherboard to prevent a short.

Edit: I also got a computer back from a former friend and the ***** decided to mount the motherboard without any standoffs... "Why doesn't it work?" he said. I took it back and had to replace the motherboard because he killed it.

Last edited:
VR HMD Oculus Quest
I know that I'm feeling ignored wrt to that theory, so the thread might as well be closed. I've been saying this from the get go; that it sounds like a ground fault/short but we'll never know unless the tower is connected outside the chassis.

Sending the board back won't fix your problem if it is a ground fault or a short if that is what's going on. YOU must fix that by mounting it properly in the chassis.

I'll put this back here again, just to try and make my point again but it doesn't seem like you're listening.
Yeh I agree it sound like a short. I'm just saying that it could be a short caused by something else like a crappy front panel USB (like that on my friend's PC) not necessarily the OP mounting it incorrectly.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Yeh I agree it sound like a short. I'm just saying that it could be a short caused by something else like a crappy front panel USB (like that on my friend's PC) not necessarily the OP mounting it incorrectly.

Touché, that's still a short though, it's just on the USB hub. More often than not that isn't the case though. I'm surprised that didn't blow a fuse on the USB port.

VR HMD Oculus Quest
Touché, that's still a short though, it's just on the USB hub. More often than not that isn't the case though. I'm surprised that didn't blow a fuse on the USB port.
I was surprised it was the culprit tbh. It was a quality case too, my friend still has it (Coolermaster HAF 932). Not exactly sure how it happened or why, but yeh simply unplugging the front panel USB header from the mobo fixed it.

The thread is REALLY important, I read everyone of you, absolutely.

I've been careful, I used non-conductive gloves all the time for example. I'll now try to change the motherboard, and I'll keep you updated.