• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Building my liquid cooled gaming rig! Help appreciated!

Reverend_Skuch

I have bought AMD for years, mainly as I gambled on Phenom and it was a Phenominal piece of crap, but the board was great, and gave me a few upgrades, but the AM3 socket is dead. If you want to stay AMD get a FM2 socket A10 that can overclock and good RAM with a good board and run that with a RX480.

Zen is supposed to hit Novemberish, and until there are reviews that show the increase in IPC, a new A10 is the fastest core available, and a quad core will do everything you need for now, and it offers very good performance per dollar and very good overclocking.
On the topic of the RX 480, I have looked and dug and looked some more and can find nothing even vaguely referring to when people can look forward to seeing more RX 480s hiting the shelves again. Is this normal or will this be the R9 290 all over again?

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Where are you located? They should be available again shortly, another good alternative is a 980Ti with rebates in the $380 range right now.

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Processor intel i7 3770 *Dellided*
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.1
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Memory 16GB DRR3 Kingoston with Custom Tt spreaders + HyperX Fan
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 980 4GB Nvidia Sample
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Display(s) 22" LG FLATRON 1920 x 1280p
Case Thermaltake Commander G42 Window
Audio Device(s) On-board Dolby 5.1+ Kingston HyperX Cloud 1
Power Supply Themaltake TR2 700W 80plus bronce & APC Pro backup 1000Va
Mouse Tt eSports Level 10M Rev 1.0 Diamond Black & Tt Conkor "L" mouse pad
Keyboard Tt eSports KNUCKER
Software windows 10x64Pro
Benchmark Scores well I've fried a 775' P4 12 years ago, that counts?
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
will bundled with HL3 i guess...

also ... how much hardware do you already have?
Who me? Whats hardware? I collect stamps! :rolleyes:

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Processor R7 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI x570 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Edge,EK QS P420M,EK D5pwm Revo Res
Memory 32gb Corsair Vengeance RT 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Zotac 3070ti Amp Extreme
Storage Samsung 980pro 1tb x2
Display(s) MSI MPG321QRF QD
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse G900
Keyboard Corsair k60 RGB PRO
Software Win 11

Reverend_Skuch

the hardware question was for @Reverend_Skuch !
sorry!

but tell me more about stamps....:rolleyes:
The rig I was using was an fx 8370 water cooled with the Corsair h110 an MSI r9 290x on a gigabyte ga 990fxa ud3 ultra mobo with 16 GB RAM a small ssd I think it was 256 GB I only had it to make the OS load faster and a 1 tb hard drive for storage. It was a very nice machine but I moved out of country for a bit and it was easier to sell it there than risk it again on the long trip home plus I made more off it there than I had in it by ... a good margin. Now I'm home and have the time to build another one and want to do the work myself. I loved that first rig she was.... great, ran fast played every game I threw at her and never complained, sounded like a jet engine but never complained. And I never minded the noise she made I just turned up the volume. But I didn't build her I just told a good friend what I wanted and the budget I had to work with and he built her. He moved shortly after I did and I now I just figured I'd build this one myself and I wanted to liquid cool the last build but lacked the capital this time I think I might be able to afford it so I figure why not.
How else do you learn right lol.

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
I loved that first rig she was.... great, ran fast played every game I threw at her and never complained, sounded like a jet engine but never complained.
so build another one like that one, or also follow advises and get even more performance with intel

Reverend_Skuch

so build another one like that one, or also follow advises and get even more performance with intel
The Intel AMD war is like every other situation in life where you find only a 2 choices, it comes down only to preference lol. There are those that prefer one and those that swing the other but neither is really better or worse, just preference.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
@basco It completely sucks. It's Carrizo and can't even beat Kaveri 90% of the time because it has half the L2 of regular Kaveri parts. It's not actually a desktop part like the X4 860K (which was harvested from the same parts as a 7850K, just iGPU defective/disabled), it's a mobile CPU put on a desktop package (since Carrizo is mobile-only by nature).

@Reverend_Skuch If that's what you want to believe, go ahead. Everybody here, AMD or Intel or neither supporter has been telling you that now is a terrible time to buy AMD CPUs. Even AMD has given up on its AM3 family because its CPUs haven't changed since 2011 and it's hedging ALL its bets on upcoming Zen which still has a few months before it comes out. Buying last gen AMD GPUs doesn't make sense either since the high end cards from AMD (already last gen) are more recent, even AMD's newest midrange card is an obviously better all-round choice than 390X's, and AMD is in the process of introducing its new lineup. If you want to believe something that isn't true, be my guest. It's your rig. But everyone here is keeping your best interests in mind and their advice is not garbage.

Since we're talking about preference, here's another choice for you. You get to choose between a rig that lasts + costs less, or one that you bought based on your emotions and "allegiances". If you want to choose a rig that lasts, don't buy AMD AM3+ CPUs. The IPC is not acceptable now and won't be acceptable a few years down the road, even in AMD terms. If you want one that costs less, don't buy AMD either, because your watercooling costs will be more expensive. If you choose based on this senseless "allegiance", buy AMD in exchange for all other advantages that you may have had if you had chosen otherwise, be it in up-to-date performance, lower power consumption and heat, or up-to-date connectivity and performance.

On the topic of WC loops, $500 could be doable; that doesn't mean it'll be of good quality / ideal. Didn't see the part where you proposed 8370, $500 is probably not practical for a FX-9590 but probably good enough for everything else.

Last edited:

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
@Reverend_Skuch If that's what you want to believe, go ahead. Everybody here, AMD or Intel or neither supporter has been telling you that now is a terrible time to buy AMD CPUs. Even AMD has given up on its AM3 family because its CPUs haven't changed since 2011 and it's hedging ALL its bets on upcoming Zen which still has a few months before it comes out. Buying last gen AMD GPUs doesn't make sense either since the high end cards from AMD (already last gen) are more recent, even AMD's newest midrange card is an obviously better all-round choice than 390X's, and AMD is in the process of introducing its new lineup. If you want to believe something that isn't true, be my guest. It's your rig. But everyone here is keeping your best interests in mind and their advice is not garbage.
agreed, socket am3+, the same crap on every new FX processor but more and more power consumption with every release... also pretty hot when OC'ed. so why getting a rig with a dead socket?

Since we're talking about preference, here's another choice for you. You get to choose between a rig that lasts + costs less, or one that you bought based on your emotions and "allegiances". If you want to choose a rig that lasts, don't buy AMD AM3+ CPUs. The IPC is not acceptable now and won't be acceptable a few years down the road, even in AMD terms. If you want one that costs less, don't buy AMD either, because your watercooling costs will be more expensive. If you choose based on this senseless "allegiance", buy AMD in exchange for all other advantages that you may have had if you had chosen otherwise, be it in up-to-date performance, lower power consumption and heat, or up-to-date connectivity and performance.
and also lower resale value if you ill like to resale for an upgrade... 99% of people sold them for ultra cheap prices, since no body is paying attention to dead ol technology socket...
On the topic of WC loops, $500 could be doable; that doesn't mean it'll be of good quality / ideal.
$500 for a custom liquid, seems great, few option on custom and also AIO!

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
The Intel AMD war is like every other situation in life where you find only a 2 choices, it comes down only to preference lol. There are those that prefer one and those that swing the other but neither is really better or worse, just preference.

There's a big difference between FACTS and opinion (preference). The FACT is that Intel has been dominating AMD for years. It's not 2001 anymore, when AMD was on top, and if you don't change with the times, you will get left in the past.

Yeah, it's not like a choice between Coke and Pepsi or Ford and Chevy. The differences are very real and are common knowledge among power users/enthusiasts. Hell, even cdawall has moved to Intel.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
That being said I still have some amd rigs and have had Intel in the past multiple times lol

Last edited:

Reverend_Skuch

@basco It completely sucks. It's Carrizo and can't even beat Kaveri 90% of the time because it has half the L2 of regular Kaveri parts. It's not actually a desktop part like the X4 860K (which was harvested from the same parts as a 7850K, just iGPU defective/disabled), it's a mobile CPU put on a desktop package (since Carrizo is mobile-only by nature).

On the topic of WC loops, $500 could be doable; that doesn't mean it'll be of good quality / ideal. Didn't see the part where you proposed 8370, $500 is probably not practical for a FX-9590 but probably good enough for everything else.
I was not reposting a list of parts to buy, those were the parts that comprised my previous system. I have long since removed all the parts from my new machine's wish list the last time everyone screamed "Don't buy AMD right now!" in favour of waiting for the new Zen to land. This forum's words have not fallen on deaf ears. I have heard (or rather read) every word you guys have said (or rather typed), and heeded every warning short of "go buy Intel". The only thing in my current wish list is my case a Thermaltake Core v71.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
You are going to wait for Haswell like performance out of Zen. Ok. :)

I'm rather fond of the Scottish version of the famous Rolling Stones song: Hey, McCloud, get off of my ewe.

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
The only thing in my current wish list is my case a Thermaltake Core v71.
i prefer the core V51. since i don't like that much full towers...
but still a great case,

regards,

Reverend_Skuch

i prefer the core V51. since i don't like that much full towers...
but still a great case,

regards,
I went it just in case I wanted to go with those parts that have their own water coolers plus a lot people say water cooling parts take a lot of room. Something like an updated r9 Fury, if the next gen VGA's are even going to have an equivalent.

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna