1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Built in batteries.. good or bad..

Discussion in 'Phones & Tablets' started by trog100, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Meanwhile, I'm stilling using an almost 5 year old iPhone 4s and the battery still works just fine. I'm not worried about it.

2. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    Wow...and you know that based on what?

About charge/discharge cycles:

"Rechargeable battery life is typically defined as the number of full charge-discharge cycles before significant capacity loss. Storage also reduces capacity.

Manufacturers' information typically specify lifespan in terms of the number of cycles (e.g., capacity dropping linearly to 80% over 500 cycles), with no mention of chronological age. Research rejects this common industry practice. On average, lifetimes consist of 1000 cycles, although battery performance is rarely specified for more than 500 cycles. This means that batteries of mobile phones, or other hand-held devices in daily use, are not expected to last longer than three years. Some batteries based on carbon anodes offer more than 10,000 cycles."

3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I keep away from built in battery items as much as possible, how ever you can normally pick up a replacement online but then your running a great risk of buying a fire hazard to be.

So to me they are bad and is a no buy item for me. Buying a item to be crippled due to a battery is just not except-able.

And there is the requirement of battery charging that people demand which is fast charging which only destroys battery's even faster and left no option to slow charge options.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. hrp32

hrp32

Thanks Received:
    I think it's definitely a bad thing to have a non-removable battery.
    I remember those times I had a second battery for my LG L90 and whenever there was no power outlet or even a computer it was pretty useful. But nowadays I think they want to sell you those stupid Powerbanks. ;) But you can stick to LG if that's your only concern.

The thing I worry about more are those hardware buttons which occupy half an inch for just three buttons and I can't understand why many people prefer hardware buttons!:banghead:

5. mad1394

mad1394

Thanks Received:
    Looking at LG V20 or LG G5 for this exact reason. I don't like non replaceable batteries.
    Samsung could have avoided the note disaster if they could have handed out free new batteries to their customers.
    Apples battery life is awful after about 1 year of use. Be ready to plug it in shortly after lunch. If that is not your experience than you won the battery lottery.

6. Komshija

Komshija

Thanks Received:
    That seems to be very important selling point, but I think that the most important reason for manufacturers is cost reduction and thus bigger profit margin. It's not that they are going to lower consumer prices because of the "non-replaceable" batteries.

Many people still don't get it that phones thickness is not so relevant, unlike its length and width. In other words, marketing brainwashed people about phone thickness. It doesn't make any difference if a phone is 10 mm thick or 6 mm thick when its dimensions surpass 140 mm in length and 70 mm in width. This is because 140 mm length 70 mm width are pretty much the maximum for "comfortable" handling for an average person.
    A few years ago researchers concluded that 4.3" smartphones are the best compromise between comfortable handling and usability. Today, we have 5.0" phones which are not very comfortable for use and 5.5" phablets which are way too big to be comfortable. They even don't fit comfortably in the pockets and there's no way that you can use them with one hand, unless you are 2 meter (6'7") giant.

There are many ways to prolong battery life, but hardly anyone uses them. For the example, my battery lasts approx. 5 days before I need to recharge. People look at me strangely when I show them my battery statistics. :D
    First, turn off automatic brightness and set it to manual to about 40-50%. Mine is at ~40%. Turn off GPS, turn off wifi when you don't need it, turn off automatic synchronization and synchronize manually only when you need it. ...and there you go! Now battery will last for 3+ days without charging. :)

Batteries tend to produce extra heat when charging and it affects their lifetime; apart from charging/discharging cycles which slowly but surely reduce their lifetime.

7. trog100

Thanks Received:
    your battery will last even longer if you do not use your phone all.. :)

but having to piss about with so many power saving measures just to prolong battery life does make a strong case against built in batteries.. its a lot easier to bung in a new battery when old one wears out.. or should i say it used to be.. he he..

shaving that tiny fraction of the thickness of these devices is also pretty dumb.. something samsung have just found out.. making them thinner is the main reason i see for built in batteries.. they can claim they have made their new 6 inch screen sized phone smaller than ever.. :)

dont get me wrong here.. when i look at my super thin phone i am kind of amazed they have managed to cram a 3200 battery in there.. something that in the past i would have thought impossible..

but i cant help but think such a device bunged in someones back pocket and sat on a few times aint exactly safe.. they are a perfect fit for back pockets.... :)

i also expect to see more fire hazard built in battery recalls in the future.. flexy flexy flexy fizzle fizzle fizzle.. he he

trog

ps.. the desire for fast charging i think is also connected to the inability to simply swap out a spare battery when more run time is needed.. fast charging for sure wont help battery life times or fire hazard risks..

built in batteries is something we are gonna see more of thats for sure.. and i do admit to being a little old fashioned in my thinking.. he he

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Komshija

Komshija

Thanks Received:
    I agree. They need a new marketing "tool", so phone thickness fits in there perfectly. If they want to improve smartphone, they could make bigger screen-to-body ratio and keep phone dimensions within reasonable limits.

Unless you need to sit down, run or ride a bicycle.

Quality and safety will always suffer when companies become too hungry for profits. It's capitalism.

I would say it's general stupidity. People tend to spend to much time on their smartphones, so no wonder that they need to charge them every day or even twice a day. For internet and some business work, there's a PC or a laptop.
    I know people who have good PC's and laptops but rather choose to surf on their smartphones, while their computers collect dust. Beyond me. My ex is one of such weirdos. Yep, her battery barely endured a day without charging.

Yep, it seems that non-replaceable batteries and "super comfortable" smartphones (this: https://data.motor-talk.de/data/gal...oqueta-com-1407081141-6759564648084126302.jpg) that are only 4,1 mm thick are our future; because their length and width seem totally irrelevant to some people and manufacturers. I might start a business by producing backpacks for "supet-thin-extra-comfortable 20" phablets that, wait for it, are "super thin and can fit into your backpack!". :D

9. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Often you have to use heatguns to remove glass. Or some kind of suction cups. Which isn't hard if you've done it before. If you're not very practical by nature and upbringing and have no time learning how to be practical, it is a biatch to do. And even then you have to have the time for it.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I had a bad experience trying to replace the glass on my Moto G. But that didn't have anything to do with the battery, though...

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I used to be dead against them, but now I don't see a problem. I am getting over 5 hours screen on time on my old(now) HTC one m8. Plus I have just rooted it and have got Android 7.1.1 nougat running fine on it. Its still a sweet phone.

I don't see the point turning everything off to make the battery last longer. I use my phone heavily and still get over 5 hours active(screen on) I just charge it every night. If you want your battery to last longer, just turn it off, and only turn it on when you want to text or call.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Atomic77

Atomic77

Thanks Received:
    Ain't all tablets and phones have internal battery? I know my ipad 2 mini does its a rechargable one.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:

WOW a whole 5 hours, and if the battery was changeable you would get more.

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    personally i dont trust with internal battery since
    1. you cant check the battery condition Physically
    2. for some cases the only way to turn off the device is by taking out the battery
    3. some cases when you replace the battery the phone just feels different than before

but the trend is going to get internal

15. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    i just got a galaxy s7 and love it to bits already, i don't care if it has a fixed battery. I could have got something different, but it is a damn nice phone.

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I believe the Galaxy 8 is due April if memory serves me right, with some thing i thought was dumb a wrap around screen.

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Topic is a little vague. If you don't like build in batteries in your phone, Gopro, laptop, tablet, then don't buy it. I find it less necessary to replace batteries. They last plenty long now. Unlike 10 years ago I went threw 6 batteries on my phone. I have a Gopro that it 4 years old and still hold a charge for 2.4 hours. I change phones about every two years. Laptops yea I replace the batteries sometimes

18. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:
    unless if there is a defect with it.

I replaced one in my S5 that was BNIB from June 2016, 2 months ago(caused bootloop)- low n behold the battery that came with the phone was Made in China, the replacement was Made in Vietnam and No issues at all

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. monim1

Thanks Received:
    I agree with you built-in battery makes the phone thinner. You can replace the built-in battery. You may not do it by yourself but a mechanic or service center can do it for you.

20. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:
    rather not pay someone.

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Im very late to this but I prefer user swappable batteries as it adds more longevity to devices but manufacturers these days dont want a phone to last years because they lose money due to you not buying the next big thing they release. Making the device a non-user swappable battery means that you become more reliant on the manufacturer should something go wrong not to mention the whole thing about making the device smaller/thinner etc etc -- I dont think that, thats a legit reason. When the phone dies after 1000 charges, you'll be looking at getting a new phone, many people i know would prefer to get a completely new and uptodate handset then get their damaged old one repaired.

For instance the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is still a very very capable handset despite being 3 years old and still has many years to go providing the battery stays decent.

the Samsung recall was because the design of the phone was 'too aggressive' and they did not leave space for the battery to thermally expand when the battery got warm. They tried to make the phone as thin as possible and they made a mess of it. Samsung tried to innovate but got it wrong

hrp32 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  22. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:

I think the Note 4 is one of the best phones Samsung has ever made.

10 Year Member at TPU
  23. PoptartBoi

PoptartBoi

Thanks Received:
    Same here, but don't get the best life even with a new battery.

24. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Probably due to fake batteries or ios has a tonne of bloat added over the years

10 Year Member at TPU
  25. Atomic77

Atomic77

Thanks Received:
    Ipads have built in batteries and are ment to be rechargeable they last a long time. and they can be used when plugged in.

10 Year Member at TPU