• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Burgled -- New laptop taken

dat789

It was last week and I'm still quite upset over this. Recently got a Sony Vaio and it was not even 3 weeks old when it was taken.

Are there any experts out there who can, with details of MAC address, etc., trace the location of the laptop (therefore, also the low life burglar)?

I mean what is the fate of stolen laptops besides the obvious sale.

The laptop runs on Windows 7 (64-bit) and is requires a passphrase at the logon screen. What are the first few steps to take before making the loot saleable?

ps. my passport was also taken. Seriously!?!! What good is it to the burglar?!

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit

cut it open (cut on the side, along the thin paper), remove picture, insert osama's picture, travel freely. (put in microwave first if it has rfid biometrics)

System Name Chachamaru-IV | Retro Battlestation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Intel Pentium II 450MHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | MSI MS-6116 (Intel 440BX chipset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000 (16-20-20-38) | 512MB PC133 SDRAM
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 FE | 3dfx Voodoo3 3000
Storage 1TB WD_Black SN850 NVME SSD (OS), Toshiba 3TB (Storage), Toshiba 3TB (Steam)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 27" @ 1440p144 & Dell P2312H @ 1080p60
Case SilverStone Seta A1 | Beige box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Speakers), Creative Zen Hybrid headset | Sound Blaster AWE64
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | 250W ASETEC
Mouse Roccat Kone Air| Microsoft Serial Mouse v2.0A
Keyboard Vortex Race3 | Dell AT102W
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro | Microsoft Windows 98SE
He'll wipe the hard drive and reinstall 7. Most likely will take a backup beforehand so he can scavenge valuable files and information later.

System Name Salvaged
Processor AMD Phenom II X6, 1055T
Motherboard MSI (cant remember model..)
Cooling Antec Kühler + extra fans (Antec, Zalman, Coolermaster, Generic brand)
Memory 8Gb (2 x 4Gb)
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD6870
Storage Samsung 1TB, 320 Seagate, 250 Samsung
Display(s) LG Electronics
Case ANTEC Sonata III 500 (found/salvaged + modified)
Audio Device(s) 8Ch + Harman Kardon 2.1 (modified, electronics in JVC wood speakers)
Power Supply It's made in Denmark, never seen a PSU made there..
Software Win7 X64 Ultimate
It was last week and I'm still quite upset over this. Recently got a Sony Vaio and it was not even 3 weeks old when it was taken.

Are there any experts out there who can, with details of MAC address, etc., trace the location of the laptop (therefore, also the low life burglar)?

I mean what is the fate of stolen laptops besides the obvious sale.

The laptop runs on Windows 7 (64-bit) and is requires a passphrase at the logon screen. What are the first few steps to take before making the loot saleable?

Hi, sorry to hear this. It's a f***d up world. A guy I used to work with, if I recall correctly he could track laptops and such. Doesn't come free exactly, but reading that your pass was taken aswell, maybe I could persuade him. He still owns me some favours.

Did it all happen in London where you live?

dat789

cut it open (cut on the side, along the thin paper), remove picture, insert osama's picture, travel freely. (put in microwave first if it has rfid biometrics)

I have come to understand that burglary and identity theft are two separate crimes and very few criminals specialize in both. It's more common that a burglar stays and develops a career in this line.

Agreeable?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
I have come to understand that burglary and identity theft are two separate crimes and very few criminals specialize in both. It's more common that a burglar stays and develops a career in this line.

Agreeable?

yeah he'll probably just sell the passport to the same guy who he's selling the laptop to. i interpreted the OP's question that he was wondering what evil people(tm) would use the passport for

dat789

Hi, sorry to hear this. It's a f***d up world. A guy I used to work with, if I recall correctly he could track laptops and such. Doesn't come free exactly, but reading that your pass was taken aswell, maybe I could persuade him. He still owns me some favours.

Did it all happen in London where you live?

Yes. At my London (UK) place. If the cost to recover the material stuffs can lead to catching the criminal then it's worth it.
the police had come around just for 'a chat', taken some details to lodge the case, and nothing.
NOTHING!!

Gawd!

Is tracing MAC address possible??

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080

not over the internet, unless you install some kind of phone home software that transmits the mac address

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
not over the internet, unless you install some kind of phone home software that transmits the mac address
I'm surprised that mac info isnt included in Windows Update or something (and available to law enforcement and some Interpol IT offshoot). It would seam pretty obvious to do this - except for the privacy laws that forbid it :roll: LOL. The Human Rights of criminals, eh? Funny, the law will protect the big corporations and their IP and copyrights, but won't protect the individuals and their personal assets. Welcome to the future.

On a more practical note, can anyone recommend any "phone home" utilities?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I'm surprised that mac info isnt included in Windows Update or something (and available to law enforcement and some Interpol IT offshoot). It would seam pretty obvious to do this - except for the privacy laws that forbid it :roll: LOL. The Human Rights of criminals, eh? Funny, the law will protect the big corporations and their IP and copyrights, but won't protect the individuals and their personal assets. Welcome to the future.

massive invasion of privacy issue there, and easy enough to fake/spoof.

System Name Salvaged
Memory 8Gb (2 x 4Gb)
Audio Device(s) 8Ch + Harman Kardon 2.1 (modified, electronics in JVC wood speakers)
Yes. At my London (UK) place. If the cost to recover the material stuffs can lead to catching the criminal then it's worth it.
the police had come around just for 'a chat', taken some details to lodge the case, and nothing.
NOTHING!!

Gawd!

It's not the computer you should be worried about, it's the passport.
Often police do not have the resources needed to find people.
That's the reason in my house I have cameras, some you can see, some you can't.

Well, actually HP/Compaq, some of their business series systems have some security options, so if stolen you can trace the computer. And yes, this can be disabled before connecting to the net.
I can upload a picture later and show you what I mean (even the computer/s) themself.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
massive invasion of privacy issue there, and easy enough to fake/spoof.

This things could be "opted in". ie original purchaser opts in to Windows Updates with mac address tracking. If mac address tracking is too easily spoofable then other tracking data, e.g. bios serial number could be used. The question is whether tracking could be done in a robust manner, and whether people/owners could opt in to the tracking system buried within the OS rather than having to buy and configure and lose on reformat an independent utility.

Corporate asset tracking would certainly be a market for this if the "consumer space" is too chicken at this time.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
System Name Jaspe
Processor Ryzen 1500X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming
Cooling Stock
Memory 16Gb Corsair 3000mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTS 450
Storage Crucial M500
Display(s) Philips 1080 24'
Case NZXT
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax 425W
Software Windows 10 Pro
NOTHING!!

Gawd!

The police in London don't catch criminals, they just chat, ask questions and park anywhere causing traffic jams.

System Name Salvaged
Memory 8Gb (2 x 4Gb)
This things could be "opted in". ie original purchaser opts in to Windows Updates with mac address tracking. If mac address tracking is too easily spoofable then other tracking data, e.g. bios serial number could be used. The question is whether tracking could be done in a robust manner, and whether people/owners could opt in to the tracking system buried within the OS rather than having to buy and configure and lose on reformat an independent utility.

Corporate asset tracking would certainly be a market for this if the "consumer space" is too chicken at this time.

Some systems have the security features built into BIOS. And I do remember that even when I removed the CMOS battery, I still could not change the settings on my HP for the tracing option, I had to enter my password to get the access to it.

Today, I think someone has figured out a proper way to go around it however.

V

Vrgn86

He'll wipe the hard drive and reinstall 7. Most likely will take a backup beforehand so he can scavenge valuable files and information later.

This^ is not needed, with the right software the password can be changed without a reinstall!!
Good luck with the police locating it.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
but with all the tracking software today it would be SMARTER to do what Red Machine suggests than to try to use the existing os. i feel like we're giving criminals advice here though so that's it ;)

dat789

The police in London don't catch criminals, they just chat, ask questions and park anywhere causing traffic jams.

That just sums up what they do precisely and accurately.

dat789

but with all the tracking software today it would be SMARTER to do what Red Machine suggests than to try to use the existing os. i feel like we're giving criminals advice here though so that's it ;)

LOL! Well, because the police are not doing any productive to go after these low-life burglars someone one does feel the need to take things into his/her own hands. Otherwise, the burglars will almost always win and the victims lose!
:banghead:

dat789

@SaiZo: Can you pull a favor from your friend? How will it be done?

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64

Will they answer the question "Where can I find some hashish?" cuz I'll be there in three months... :p

dat789

sure they do.. that's what they are there for. Also to guide tourists and give directions. Good luck!