• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Buy used mobo or new mobo to transfer HDD RAID data?

88carrera

What I thought was a bios issue turns out to be blown capacitors (see this thread http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=103240

I have my drives in raid configuration and now need to transfer the data (mostly family pictures) to either a new motherboard or the same as I have now (A7n8x Deluxe off ebay).

If I purchase the A7n8x and it should hopefully be plug and play. But I would be spending $50-60 for old hardware that is out of date.

I was planning on building a new system and I was looking at the MSI P43 Neo3-F board. (this will be a budget build).

I don't have much experience with raid so I don't know if this would be plug and play with the new board. The MSI board uses JMicron 363 controllers and the Asus uses Silicon Image Sil3112À.

Is raid pretty much raid regardless of controllers, or would I be risking losing all data by trying to plug them into the new board?

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Im going to say if the controller is different there is little hope of an easy raid transfer. I do think with the same board it would be a snap...buy it , use it, sell it at a small loss....think about it this way. the 50-60 you invest on old tech is just a drop in the bucket to what the images or data might be worth to you personally.

88carrera

Thank you sneekypeet. On my way to ebay to place a bid now.