1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Buying Gaming Laptop (Help Please?)

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Kusimeka, May 12, 2011.

1. Kusimeka

Kusimeka

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys, i'm buying a new Gaming Laptop. I'm selling my computer because i'm going to Uni at the end of the year, and i shall be doing a Multimedia course, and i also love gaming so i need a very powerful Laptop. I'm just so confused, there's so many out there and all this new info on Sandy Bridge laptops are confusing me!

I want a gaming laptop, that looks good and runs all games. I just don't want a Alienware!

I live in the UK, and my budget is £600-700. The more Multimedia features it has, the better. Which one should i get? Any help would be so appreciated!

Thanks!

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
  3. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I really don't want to spoil plans but with that budget you won't get a laptop that "runs all games".
    And even if you do, within a year or 2 its graphics card will be outdated and you either can't change it or it'd be very expensive to do so (I'm speaking from experience. I can get a 280M GTX for my laptop, but nothing more modern, instead of my 8800M GTX, and it will cost 500 sterling to buy it......)

If you can, I'd more suggest getting a desktop for gaming and buying a budget laptop for Uni use.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    yes. you should upgrade your desktop first. and believe me. laptops are not meant for gaming. its only for short trips to keep you busy. thats it. nothing serious.

5. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Kusimeka says thanks.
  6. Kusimeka

Kusimeka

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the replies guys, but really? I thought the gaming laptops these days were pretty darn powerful. I mean the computer i have right now still runs most games, okay maybe it doesn't run Crysis at the highest graphics as smooth as it could, but it copes. Looking at the specs of the laptop Fourstaff posted, surely that's superior to my desktop i have right now? (specs on the side)

Wouldn't that laptop play all games out there these days?

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    I am coming to the rescue again. :D
    £597 for the i5 dual core cpu+GT540m:
    http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5742G_1074095.html
    or you want the i7 quad+GT540m:
    http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5750G_1053012.html

They are within your budget,also the GT540m is a good GPU,it can play games like crysis 2,mafia 2,battlefield bad company 2,Call of duty games,starcraft 2 etc,heres review:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-540M.41715.0.html

The 5870 on the laptop is as powerful as a desktop 5770,so i would say its probably better than your 8800GT but the heat of a laptop doesn't justify it and the cost.

8. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    We should appoint Kurosagi as TPULaptopman! :laugh:

Get the i7 Acer, if you don't mind Acer. Their build quality is not the best, but on the other hand, Dell's and HP's build quality are not that much better nowadays anyway. Laptops nowadays are quite powerful, I mean, I can play Starcraft 2 on mine with decent fps, other than super large 200vs200 battles.

9. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    Yeah i don't really like Acer myself but i only heard of their low end to be at fault most,not sure about their high end,always worth taking the gamble with their middle to high end laptops.

And lol nah i don't deserve it yet haha,i need get myself better laptop lmao and i'm sure theirs others got more ideas to choose laptop than i have,just seems i like helpping people pick good laptops so they don't waste their money on laptops with poor hardware.

10. MilkyWay

Thanks Received:
    Acer Aspire 5750G, has a sandybridge and has a light gaming gpu. You can play source engine games on that and other games but just dont expect it to play on high or anything although the low screen resolution on laptops does help.

EDIT: Laptops CAN BE POWERFUL if you have the money! Up to £500 and lets just say its never going to game lol.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    I did find a Toshiba laptop for £500 with a amd or i3 i can't remember with a 5650 i think which was still pretty decent for light gaming, brand new on saveonlaptops lol.

12. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    dead serious, there are monster gaming laptops that can beat desktops up and down...you just need good credit. They have hexa-cores and SLI/Crossfire. I'd be willing to lug around that monster and have to always see next to a power plug. I just have a soft spot for extreme amounts of power in mobile packages.

13. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    Lol i always have the urge to sell my whole desktop for a light gaming laptop,just because i like the shape and portability a laptop has.
    But i know it won't be worth it in long run.

14. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    I have an urge to go the other way round. Trade, perhaps? :D Given the power of laptops nowadays, you wouldn't sacrifice much other than eyecandy.

15. overclocker

overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I love my laptop for gaming its great and I can run everything out there when overclocked with mid settings and 30+ frames. make sure to get a laptop with at least 1gb of its own video memory. 5670 or the green camps 540 would both be great.

10 Year Member at TPU