• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cable Management Helpdesk

System Name n.audBl
Processor E8500 @ 3.80GHz
Motherboard ASUS Striker Extreme
Cooling Full liquid (everything except power supply)
Memory 4Gb OCZ DDR2 PC9600
Video Card(s) Dual EVGA GTX 280 SSC Edition
Storage Dual WD Raptor in RAID 0 (300Gb), Dual WD 1Tb Cavair in RAID 1
Display(s) Dell 2407 24" HD+ Widescreen
Case Theraltake Tai-Chi
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Fata1ty (bleh!)
Power Supply Ultra X3 1000W
Software Win 7 64bit

LOL I know lots of work tomorrow....

Good God man... there could be anything in there... perhaps even... a major award!!

:laugh:

LOL I know lots of work tomorrow....

:laugh:

More photos would be nice. Those tubings look far too huge to go through the pre drilled water cooling holes :eek:. The PSU cables are the main problem. I'd start off with actually untangling them, then plugging them in, keeping them as low as possible (to the level of the motherboard tray). Make all of them as close to the tray and as low as possible; looks neater. PSU cables should ALWAYS be behind the water cooling loop, to look as neat as possible.

System Name Enslaver :)
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B650-Plus
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D14 with LED fans, Case: 2 front in - 1 rear out
Memory 2x16GB Kingston Fury Beast RGB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 4070Ti OC
Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Display(s) LG CX OLED 65"
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh C Performance
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard ASUS Strix Tactic Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
My stuff (see system specs) in a P182 Gunmetal Black Edition case.
The Frontside audio is necessary but frontside usb and firewire are quite pointless to me because i dont use a lot of firewire - and i have a usb hub in the keyboard.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Mouse Logitech G700
A little update with the usb and firewire cables disconnected and the audio cable routed through the hole. Really no comments?

Last edited:
T

TechnicalFreak

Question before I post pic(s) , my case is colored in a very dark color (inside) and my room lights are not the best. Should I have the flash on or off? Also, my case is a bit old, but whatever that can give me better airflow I'll do.

Thanks btw for creating a "helpdesk", never seen anything like this on any other forums.

Mouse Logitech G700
Question before I post pic(s) , my case is colored in a very dark color (inside) and my room lights are not the best. Should I have the flash on or off? Also, my case is a bit old, but whatever that can give me better airflow I'll do.

Thanks btw for creating a "helpdesk", never seen anything like this on any other forums.

Read the first post - yes flash is a must..

Anyway, Laurijan, with your front panel connectors, have them run as close as possible to the "flooring" of the case, make them run vertically down the motherboard from their headers, then possibly hook under the motherboard; using the risers to support them. Its rather ugly to see two IO wires pop out of the middle of the case, tape them down to the floor if needed (of the top chamber of the case that is).

Fan wires, twist the wires together so they dont look like some random strands of wiring. Do that for the top two 120mm fans and the CPU fan.

SATA cables, route them horizontally, towards the hdd bay right of the connector, and make sure the wire is routed behind the bay, then "dropping" down to the hdd bays where it should connect; looks better that way. The sleeving isnt needed in this case for the SATA cables as it makes them look bulkier; somewhat worse looking.

I would with the audio cable try to also twist its strands, but this time slightly. reduce the slack in it so you see less of it from that hole.

Unplug that molex plug on your motherboard, as far as I know its only needed for SLi.

Twist the strands of the NB cooler together as well, for the same purpose

Try to make the 24 pin wire and the 8 pin a bit more concealed by using something to hold it in a position that makes less of them both visible via that hole.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
thanks, Tk, for a thread like this - I'm sure many users will find at least something useful here - if not everything!

BTW, if you're keeping track of people's input as to good/bad cases for management - thanks to a recent endeavor, I nominate the Cooler Master Stacker 830 for the bad list.

Pretty case, but requires modification of the chasis itself to get most things out of the way.

Mouse Logitech G700
I found out that I? ruined the front panel firewire cable - there is a wire lose - and the usb frontside planel cable is really pointless to connect.

I twisted the AC97 front side audio cable.

I twisted the CPU cable so that it makes a nice curve around the audio module - and i twisted the NB cable - look somewhat better.
I "could not" twist the top 12cm fan power cables because they are very long and think that that they look good enough they way they are.

I streched out the sleeve i use for the sata cables because routing them to the top camber hdd bay is not possible because ther is no opening there and i know the sleeve look a bit thick in the top but when i got to a 2 hdd solution in raid it will not look to thick anymore in the top - also i put some tape in the top of the sleeve. Btw i thought about a sleeve look to make the sata cables look good and the next day - guess what - i found a broken antec psu with a sleeve on the 24 pin cable on a pile of junk :) So i think the sleeve is necessary for me to use - it was ment to find it.. so i use it.

I molex connector going to the mobo is not only necessary to make sli work but also makes OCing better because it provided extra juice to the mobo so i left it.

The 24pin and 4x 12V pin i taped to the mobo tray to give the a sligtly better look.

Last edited:
thanks, Tk, for a thread like this - I'm sure many users will find at least something useful here - if not everything!

BTW, if you're keeping track of people's input as to good/bad cases for management - thanks to a recent endeavor, I nominate the Cooler Master Stacker 830 for the bad list.

Pretty case, but requires modification of the chasis itself to get most things out of the way.

Forgot to add that :laugh: :banghead:

Anyone who wants to get a stacker... look at the 832 instead.

News:

ANTEC 900 NOW HAS TWO CABLE MANAGEMENT HOLES, EXACTLY LIKE THE COSMO 1000!!!!!!!!!

On the latest revision that is, please make sure you get the latest shipments of the 900. I might buy the 900 just for this... this is too good! Antec fixed up an already excellent chassis (hooray for not needing to mod the case anymore and proper cable management in a case like the 900)

PLEASE FROM NOW ON DOWNSIZE YOUR IMAGES AND USE WWW.TECHPOWERUP.ORG TO UPLOAD THEM INSTEAD. 1200x900 OR 900x1200 MAX. RECOMMENDED 1024x786, IF YOU WILL NOT BOTHER TO DOWNSIZE THEN POST THE IMAGES AS LINKS

Mouse Logitech G700
News:

ANTEC 900 NOW HAS TWO CABLE MANAGEMENT HOLES, EXACTLY LIKE THE COSMO 1000!!!!!!!!!

On the latest revision that is, please make sure you get the latest shipments of the 900. I might buy the 900 just for this... this is too good! Antec fixed up an already excellent chassis (hooray for not needing to mod the case anymore and proper cable management in a case like the 900)

PLEASE FROM NOW ON DOWNSIZE YOUR IMAGES AND USE WWW.TECHPOWERUP.ORG TO UPLOAD THEM INSTEAD. 1200x900 OR 900x1200 MAX. RECOMMENDED 1024x786, IF YOU WILL NOT BOTHER TO DOWNSIZE THEN POST THE IMAGES AS LINKS

I resized the pics..

Mouse Logitech G700
Anyway, Laurijan, with your front panel connectors, have them run as close as possible to the "flooring" of the case, make them run vertically down the motherboard from their headers, then possibly hook under the motherboard; using the risers to support them. Its rather ugly to see two IO wires pop out of the middle of the case, tape them down to the floor if needed (of the top chamber of the case that is).

Fan wires, twist the wires together so they dont look like some random strands of wiring. Do that for the top two 120mm fans and the CPU fan.

SATA cables, route them horizontally, towards the hdd bay right of the connector, and make sure the wire is routed behind the bay, then "dropping" down to the hdd bays where it should connect; looks better that way. The sleeving isnt needed in this case for the SATA cables as it makes them look bulkier; somewhat worse looking.

I would with the audio cable try to also twist its strands, but this time slightly. reduce the slack in it so you see less of it from that hole.

Unplug that molex plug on your motherboard, as far as I know its only needed for SLi.

Twist the strands of the NB cooler together as well, for the same purpose

Try to make the 24 pin wire and the 8 pin a bit more concealed by using something to hold it in a position that makes less of them both visible via that hole.

Ok i repaired the firewire connector and connected it and the usb cable too - i thought if they are there i have to use them too :) Thanks tpenalty!! Great thread

Last edited:

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Forgot to add that :laugh: :banghead:

Anyone who wants to get a stacker... look at the 832 instead.
The 832 is identical, except it has a different door. That's the only difference. CM should've really put at least a couple of holes in the mobo tray of these things. It would simplify matters a great deal.

The 832 is identical, except it has a different door. That's the only difference. CM should've really put at least a couple of holes in the mobo tray of these things. It would simplify matters a great deal.

No, there is a space between the mobo tray and the drive bays in the 832.

Ok i repaired the firewire connector and connected it and the usb cable too - i thought if they are there i have to use them too :) Thanks tpenalty!! Great thread

Whatever happened to the SATA routing and removing that 4 pin connector? Why do you have the 4 pin molex plugged into the mobo? Its not needed if you dont SLi.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
No, there is a space between the mobo tray and the drive bays in the 832.
There is on the 830 Evo as well, which is all you can currently buy new. The original 830 might have had that problem, but the Evo doesn't. Trust me, they're the same thing, with a different door. I have the 830Evo, and my best friend has the 832. I put both systems together.

830 Evo

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech G700
Whatever happened to the SATA routing and removing that 4 pin connector? Why do you have the 4 pin molex plugged into the mobo? Its not needed if you dont SLi.

I wrote that i know for sure that the 4pin connector makes OCing better and that sata cables selve is dear to me - also that there are no opening in the upper chamber HDD casing to route the cables through - i dont like to drill holes..

I wrote that i know for sure that the 4pin connector makes OCing better and that sata cables selve is dear to me - also that there are no opening in the upper chamber HDD casing to route the cables through - i dont like to drill holes..

Eh? Its possible to do so :S

T

TechnicalFreak

Ok.. Here is some pic's of my case (inside), ofcourse with the flash on as requested. Also from different angles.

I hope there is something that can be done, note that I also have "rounded" IDE cables for HDD aswell as the CD/DVD. It is however a bit small, but it isn't THAT small (or is it??):

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/roger_of_sweden/CaseSidepanelOpenANGLE.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/roger_of_sweden/InsideAngle2.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/roger_of_sweden/Interior1.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/roger_of_sweden/interior2.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/roger_of_sweden/RightHandPanelRemoved.jpg

If there is anything I have forgot to take a picture of, please let me know.

Thankful for any replies.

Edit: Sorry that I have made links for the pics, reasons are that 1. Don't know how to put them out here, 2.if a 56k user comes around it would take ages for him to open page (I guess).

Last edited by a moderator:
Mouse Logitech G700
Final?

Eh? Its possible to do so :S

Now i understand you.. the case closes even when there is no hole for the sata cables
Since they are so short i had to make it that way - it was not possible to route them through the HDD bay in the top chamber.

Is this an improvement?

Pics of the backside

System Name All Ryze
Processor Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard MSI X370 Pro Carbon
Cooling Air
Memory G-skill Flare x 16GB 2400MHz
Video Card(s) MSI 1080
Storage Intel 600p NVMe 512GB for OS , 1TB WD Black and a 4TB Toshiba
Display(s) BENQ PD3200U
Case Phanteks
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 750W
Mouse Logitech G403 wired
Keyboard G19
Software Win 10 Pro
That is looking good man

T

TechnicalFreak

I did manage to do something about all my cables, hope this looks better...

Co_Op

System Name OC on a budget
Processor Intel E4400 3Ghz (9x333@1.4375 bios) a.k.a. "Sh!tclocker"
Motherboard Gigabyte P35-DS3 rev. 1 bios F11
Cooling Scythe Infinity stock fan + AS5 + custom mount
Memory 4x1 Gb A-Data Vitesta 800 Extreme @ 833 4-4-4-12@2.1V
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 8800GTS 320 stock cooling @ 653/1566/1008
Storage WD 3200 AAKS
Display(s) Dell 2407WFP
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Fortron BlueStorm II 500W
Software Vista 32bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06(vista) 11265 with CPU@3,2Ghz (9x356 @ 1.525V bios), RAM 890Mhz@4-4-4-12@2.1 V
I'm going to get an E8400 sometime soon :D, so I wanna do a "touch up" job on the cables. Maybe even drill some holes on the mobo tray (camouflaged by the mobo) - to route the cables easier. Also the top usb/f-wire/audio cables are a challenge (a bit short).

?? needs work :banghead::
* back 120mm fan connector, what to use to fix the cable in place (instead of red electric tape)
* case opened wire (twisted black and white - lower left corner)
* front fan and ram fan connectors? (middle right, near 24 pin atx connector)
* what should I use to straighten the top wires bunched together (panel and psu cables - top center)
* psu cables go straight to the right and then down behind the cdrom/hdd cages (see pic 2). They're easy disconnects and it's hard to place them behind the mobo tray (can't put the panel back on)

I'd also like some advice when it comes to the outside wires (mouse keyboard, monitor and a gazillion more). It may be looking pretty decent inside, but there's a rat nest on the back of the case and it's in plain view all day long, not inside the case (see pic 2 and 3).

Here's the pics:

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
I tie all my extra external cables up (at least the ones I can that have enough slack in them). If you're looking for something more than that, you could look into something like this:

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556028253.html