• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shevanel

buddy at work is a console guy, he's never seen or played a PC game in his life. He says MW2 is the best game he's ever played in his life. he says there is 0 lag and i asked him was it worth $60, he said it was worth $100

System Name THE MAD BEAST!!!
Processor Tinfoil rapper with some coathangers
Motherboard Graham cracker with with frosting
Cooling A shovel full of snow
Memory Grey matter out of a corpse
Video Card(s) Cat eyes
Storage A whales brain
Display(s) Cyclops eyeball
Case Inside a yetis hollowed out corpse
Audio Device(s) howling banchee
Power Supply 32 hamster on a massive wheel
Software WHo needs software when you have a box of kittens
Benchmark Scores IS gatrillions a number?
buddy at work is a console guy, he's never seen or played a PC game in his life. He says MW2 is the best game he's ever played in his life. he says there is 0 lag and i asked him was it worth $60, he said it was worth $100

Is your buddy special? lol im kidding shev, introduce him to crysis on Ultra, thats what i did to a guy that had never played a pc game and he was litterally speakless and didnt know how to say anything...and then wanted me to build him a computer 5 seconds later. lol Console noobs are so funny

shevanel

This guy is cool as hell but I'd be the first to admit he's a dumbass. not because of MW2 comments, but many many other things I know about him.

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name 2023 AMD Work & Gaming Rig
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" 390Hz (25XV2Q), Alienware 34" 165Hz (AW3423DWF), LG C2 42" 120Hz (OLED42C2PUA)
Case Cooler Master Q300L V2
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair RM850x White (2021)
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB TKL Champion Series / Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 22H2 Build 22621.1992
I bought the game without ever having to join the hate bandwagon or the praise-the-game hippies. I knew about the lack of dedicated servers, but I bought it because I thought it would be just as good as MW1/WAW and that I trusted Infinty Ward would do fine with the multiplayer at that state.

I guess I was fucking wrong.

MW2's multiplayer component is fucking useless if you're not in North America or Europe. It cannot find any good match ups (ping is 200+) at all, yet when I play COD4/COD5 and connect to some of my local (e.g. Australia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, etc.) servers, ping is like around ~50. Their centralized bullshit is slow as hell, especially for international users.

And the single player is only around 6 fucking hours long. WTF did they do?

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.

Ya know me talking bad about the game isn't just about this game. Its the state of gaming all together. I care about video games. They have been my escape for almost 30 years.

Out of all them years the only time I ever saw the industry make the wrong move was in the early 80s and at the time I was to young to voice my opinion. All I knew was E.T. for the Atari was way to hard for me. If I knew then what I know now I would be a little exploding tower of nerd rage.

This CoD game might in fact be a lot of fun to play. But it also follows a very bad trend developers are latching on to. Socialized gaming. Instead of putting years into a game to make it a true sequel they just rehash an old engine and add some decent writing. Also they like to add shock value now just in case the plot doesn't work. Airport scene anyone?

So call me a whiner and a cry baby all you want. But I beg you to look at the bigger picture. If you buy this game you are contributing to developers new found attitude of "one size fits all".

Processor Intel Core i9 10980XE @ 4.7Ghz 1.2v
Motherboard ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
Cooling EK-Velocity D-RGB, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX240 Ultrathin, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C14D 64GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC WC
Storage M.2 990 Pro 1TB / 10TB WD RED Helium / 3x 860 2TB Evos
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 28"
Case Corsair Obsidian 500D SE Modded
Power Supply Cooler Master V Series 1300W
Software Windows 11
better gameplay?

:shadedshu

:laugh: well i think the game plays better than the 1st one but the maps suck and i still think cod waw is a better game its got more character , its not so boring

Processor AMD 3700X
Motherboard MSI P55-GD80
Cooling Fractal Design Celsius S24
Memory 2x16gb Crucial e-die 3000MHZ
Video Card(s) MSI 3070 Trio
Display(s) Lenovo G27Q-20
Case Phantec P400
Audio Device(s) GSP370
Power Supply EVGA G3 750W
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Pro
VR HMD Rift
Interesting point shown here about turning the lag meter into a more useful indicator:
• Navigate to the folder: 'program files\steam\steamapps\common\call of duty modern warfare 2\players' and open the file config_mp.cfg

• Change scoresping_interval from 100 to 20, and maxbars from 4 to 10 (10 is the max).

• This means that each of the 10 bars represents 20ms, with full green being 20ms or lower, and 1 red being 200ms or higher.

http://img52.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=hostadvantage1.jpg
Now you can identify the host and avoid him/her(yeah right) at all costs. ;)

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
they're turning video games into the simpsons.

at the end of your session, hit reset, add a new mission and off you go.

its like paying per quest in WoW... same engine, same graphics, just a different location and different order to events...

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Also I dont care if they let you skip that level. It was BS to put it in there to begin with.

Why? I think it was quite brave to include a level like that and it did add to the atmosphere of the game.

We all get it 'TheMailMan78' doesnt like MW2......but some of us do. Move on with your life ;)

shevanel

if u had to guess what would you think the ratio of games that suck are to games that are good, for pc.. and im talking popular games not things u find on pogo..

ive spent over $400 on games in the past 6 months and only 2-3 of them were shitty.

of course its a matter of opinion unless there are obvious things that make the game suck and arent from user critisism (sp)

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
well its just cod4 with better game play and craper mp maps, i like the 2 player co-op more than mp

how is LESS playability/gameplay considerd better? :confused::confused:

though....the 'The Rock' moment in SP where you have to enter this fortress to rescue capt. price & you have to fight through showers was cool i suppose but its not original

you could really tell they were scraping the barrel for Ideas - you could say it was almost like they were rushing the game (possibly) the game feels like they just wanted it done & dusted as soon as possible.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
the airport thing feels to me like they were told to do something "out there" and "attention grabbing" so that it didnt feel like a another generic FPS game (such as what happened to wolfenstein)

shevanel

how is LESS playability/gameplay considerd better? :confused::confused:

though....the 'The Rock' moment in SP where you have to enter this fortress to rescue capt. price & you have to fight through showers was cool i suppose but its not original

you could really tell they were scraping the barrel for Ideas - you could say it was almost like they were rushing the game (possibly) the game feels like they just wanted it done & dusted as soon as possible.

yeah b4 xmas.. xmas = $

System Name Crukins
Processor Intel i7 8700k @ 5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i
Memory 16GB DDR4 @ 3600MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS RX480 Strix 8GB @1345MHz
Storage Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB + 5.25TB HDDs
Display(s) Samsung SE790C 34" Ultra-wide/Curved 3440x1440p 60hz
Case Corsair 750D Obsidian
Audio Device(s) Onboard - Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speaker System/Roccat Kave XTD 5.1 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair HX850i Modular
Mouse Corsair - Dark Core SE + MM1000 Mousepad
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX - Blue Switches
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
MW2's multiplayer component is fucking useless if you're not in North America or Europe. It cannot find any good match ups (ping is 200+) at all, yet when I play COD4/COD5 and connect to some of my local (e.g. Australia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, etc.) servers, ping is like around ~50. Their centralized bullshit is slow as hell, especially for international users.

I forwarded a few certain ports, and now I get almost nothing but Australian games. Before hand it was fucking horrible, with every 5th server being Australian compared to the rest being American. Oh and the whole "you leave this game for ANY reason (aka it's got shit ping), you'll get a loss recorded to your personal record for anyone who actually cares" is fucking moronic. Sure I'd rather play on decent servers than have a decent record, but you shouldn't punish us anymore than you bastards already have, especially considering it's your fuckup IW!

Otherwise, I like the multiplayer. Heaps of new weapons, shit loads of attachments and a slightly different way of going about the kit creation. Idm the maps, I haven't ran into any that I didn't like. Although they still haven't fixed the whole "lifeless environment", where trees/bushes etc are statues and don't move what-so-ever.

Though it is missing a hell of a lot of Hardcore modes, it's only got TDM and S&D :banghead:

I haven't really touched the SP, or the Co-op, I find the multi to be quite enjoyable (when you've got a decent host), way better than MW1 IMHO. (I'm probably just being distracted by all the shiny new toys I get to play with; and two attachments per weapon is awesome! lol)

Oh btw, yes I'm playing this on PC, so I'm not a console R-tard.

And about the "doesn't support SLI", I don't see this as much of an issue (sure it's needed for PC users, but still) assuming one of your cards is quite capable of running it. But if it's power usage or something along those lines that you're concerned about, then go ATI so the second card simply idles :p (assuming it does that while ingame, I haven't checked lol).

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Ya know me talking bad about the game isn't just about this game. Its the state of gaming all together. I care about video games. They have been my escape for almost 30 years.

Out of all them years the only time I ever saw the industry make the wrong move was in the early 80s and at the time I was to young to voice my opinion. All I knew was E.T. for the Atari was way to hard for me. If I knew then what I know now I would be a little exploding tower of nerd rage.

This CoD game might in fact be a lot of fun to play. But it also follows a very bad trend developers are latching on to. Socialized gaming. Instead of putting years into a game to make it a true sequel they just rehash an old engine and add some decent writing. Also they like to add shock value now just in case the plot doesn't work. Airport scene anyone?

So call me a whiner and a cry baby all you want. But I beg you to look at the bigger picture. If you buy this game you are contributing to developers new found attitude of "one size fits all".

Now thats something I agree with. Im not a PC gamer anymore, but I do feel sorry for you guys getting screwed.......and its only going to get worse :(

The game developers are starting to focus on the console because gameing wise, its a 'quick fix'. Go to the store, pick up console and game, plug it in at home and your away....but its not so simple with PC gaming is it :(

WiCz

Processor i7 965 ES
Motherboard P6T-SE
Memory 6Gb Corsair 1600C8
Video Card(s) 8800GTX
Power Supply Corsair HX620w
Software Win 7 x64
And the single player is only around 6 fucking hours long. WTF did they do?

They realised the sheeple don't care about being shafted and are so impatient they will buy anything that will install.

This marks the top of a slippery slope that leads to less and less quality in our games, and it's very depressing that so many people simply cannot see the wood for the trees and are falling over themselves to line IW's pockets for doing less and less and charging more and more in the middle of worldwide economic fail :mad:

Worse still, there are one or two in this thread telling people who don't like the game to, and I quote " fuck off out of the thread".....

With a target audience like this, no wonder developers are thinking " sod this, let's just release any old shite on our terms, it works for IW" :rolleyes:

All in all an 'annus horribilis' for pc gaming, and gaming as a whole.

Last edited:

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
They realised the sheeple don't care about being shafted and are so impatient they will buy anything that will install.

This marks the top of a slippery slope that leads to less and less quality in our games, and it's very depressing that so many people simply cannot see the wood for the trees and are falling over themselves to line IW's pockets for doing less and less and charging more and more in the middle of worldwide economic fail :mad:

Worse still, there are one or two in this thread telling people who don't like the game to, and I quote " fuck off out of the thread".....

With a target audience like this, no wonder developers are thinking " sod this, let's just release any old shite on our terms, it works for IW" :rolleyes:

All in all an 'annus horribilis' for pc gaming, and gaming as a whole.

But, the console version is actually good. So its not bad news for everyone is it? 6 Hours to complete is fairly short, but obviously it does have to end at some point......then you hae the MP to keep you busy. The game developers know this and do focus on MP a lot more nowadays.

I understand the PC gamer feeling robbed and rightly so. But because the game isnt very good on the PC doesnt make it total shite!

Processor 2700x under H100i progeebee
Motherboard ASUS x470 prime
Cooling Fans
Memory gskill ripjaw 3200
Video Card(s) MSi Vega 64 ref
Storage 120Gb OCZ Vertex 2E SSD - 500Gb Games - 1.5tb Storage and Media
Case CM HAF 932
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software Win 10
*SNIP*

I understand the PC gamer feeling robbed and rightly so. But because the game isnt very good on the PC doesnt make it total shite!

For people who refuse to play on consoles.. yes, yes it is total $h1t. Please remember that techpowerup is first and foremost a PC forum and as such most of the people here couldnt care less if the children playing x360 are enjoying themselves.

shevanel

Im pretty sure the only game that will top the drama found under anything with a MW2 title will be when Crysis 2 or whatever its called gets released..

there was already that leaked video which instigated about 14 hours worth of pc vs conslow debate.

I cannot wait.

and just because infinitewart doesnt wanna make a good pc game doesnt mean that other pc game developers will not.. there will be a market for pc games somehow.

Dazzeerr

System Name The D-Machine
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.9GHz
Motherboard Asus P5Q-SE2 P45
Cooling AC Freezer Pro 7 / MX-2 - 2x 120mm fan - 1x 80mm fan
Memory 4GB Crucial Ballistix 800MHz
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce 9800GTX+ 512mb
Storage 1TB Samsung F3 (Win7), 160GB & 250GB Maxtors.
Display(s) Acer 17" AL1716 LCD
Case Coolermaster 330 Elite
Audio Device(s) Creative SB! X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1
Power Supply Corsair TX 650W Single 12V+ Rail {52A}
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores Super PI : 17.016s 3dMark06 : 14355
System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
most of it probably console and a lot of people have bought it on PC theres like 59,000 on xfire playing the multiplayer and its rank 3rd now on xfire

System Name Cool Runnings Mark 2
Processor i7 4770k No OC
Motherboard MSI Z87 MPower
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory GSkill TridentX 2400MHz 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 Ti Duke, EVGA GTX 780 AC+
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, 3 more HDDs
Display(s) 2x MSI 32" 2560 x 1440 144Hz Optix MAG321CQR, Acer G276HLDbd Black 27" 6ms
Case Corsair 600t
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razer DeathAdder
Keyboard Steelseries Merc Stealth
Software Win10 Pro 64-bit
i wasnt really surprised. i heard on the radi othat MW2 was predicted to sell about 12 MILLION copies (12,000,000). 200 thousand (200,000) is hardly a drop in the bucket, something like .01666 percent or so, and we certainly cant expect, or assume, that everyone who signed that petition canceled their pre-order, same somewhere on the order of 30% or so(thats a guess). so it really impacted their sales by like...60,000 copies, or .005%

its no wonder they didnt give 2 sh!ts about the petition

System Name Cool Runnings Mark 2
Processor i7 4770k No OC
Motherboard MSI Z87 MPower
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory GSkill TridentX 2400MHz 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 Ti Duke, EVGA GTX 780 AC+
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, 3 more HDDs
Display(s) 2x MSI 32" 2560 x 1440 144Hz Optix MAG321CQR, Acer G276HLDbd Black 27" 6ms
Case Corsair 600t
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razer DeathAdder
Keyboard Steelseries Merc Stealth
Software Win10 Pro 64-bit
well i can certainly agree that pc wise it does seem to have had an effect, but in the overall picture, its no wonder that they didnt care

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
For people who refuse to play on consoles.. yes, yes it is total $h1t. Please remember that techpowerup is first and foremost a PC forum and as such most of the people here couldnt care less if the children playing x360 are enjoying themselves.

I know TPU is a PC forum :rolleyes: But if we are talking about the game in general then the console versions can and will be mentioned. If the title said 'Modern Warfare 2 - PC version discussion' then I could understand where your coming from, but until then STFU, I can say what I want!

PS: dont call me a child!

WiCz

Processor i7 965 ES
Motherboard P6T-SE
Memory 6Gb Corsair 1600C8
Video Card(s) 8800GTX
Power Supply Corsair HX620w
Software Win 7 x64
STFU, I can say what I want!

PS: dont call me a child!

So you can say what you want but nobody else can? :rolleyes:

You couldn't make this crap up, roflmao :roll: :roll: