• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare Benchmark Test, RTX & Performance Analysis

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Motion Blur is supposedly more "realistic" as well yet it's the first option I turn off when I jump into a new game. I'd take the "false" image with the sharper details and worse shadows over the "real" image with better shadows any day. Or better yet, a combination of both with the better RT shadows with the clearer non-RT image.

This is indeed an issue with RT in games. Many situations may be 'real' but they certainly are not playable that way. It will always have to be tweaked, I think.

A few years ago we were keen comparing games with movies, because CGI got so good and games gained graphical fidelity, mocap, and other stuff similar to what's used in film. But people seem to have forgotten that movies get edited too. The camera roll is often pretty horrible to look at on its own.

Question remains how much truly realistic RT will be left when all is said and done. That said I do like the low-key approach, noticing those finer details I think is where RT can shine, the technology needs to pick its battles, both for fidelity and performance.

And yeah... Motion blur, chromatic abberation and vignetting... whoever thought those were good ideas needs a punch in the face.

RayTracing is rendered into maybe same resolution, but original picture doesnt have same resolution. Its impossible right now to have real time ray tracing that would actually give you even half of 4k.

RTX is significantly reduced version of full fat ray tracing, cause nothing can render that much rays in real time.

At full HD, it might not be that striking difference and in two generations it will be superior to our normal rendering.

Right now it aint there, its just usable. If you want pin sharp image, go with regular rendering. Btw. you cant see as much details as 4k in real life either. So RTX is sorta quite realistic. :D In being a bit fuzzy.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
RayTracing is rendered into maybe same resolution, but original picture doesnt have same resolution. Its impossible right now to have real time ray tracing that would actually give you even half of 4k.
RTX is significantly reduced version of full fat ray tracing, cause nothing can render that much rays in real time.
At full HD, it might not be that striking difference and in two generations it will be superior to our normal rendering.
Right now it aint there, its just usable. If you want pin sharp image, go with regular rendering. Btw. you cant see as much details as 4k in real life either. So RTX is sorta quite realistic. :D In being a bit fuzzy.
You have misunderstood how raytracing is used in COD:MW. It is not used to render the image. Image overall is still rendered the same way with and without RTX.
Raytracing is only used to render certain part of shadows that is then merged with shadows from other (more usual, rasterization) methods.

Processor AMD 5800X
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Memory G.Skill 32GB
Software Windows 10
And yeah... Motion blur, chromatic abberation and vignetting... whoever thought those were good ideas needs a punch in the face.
Holy hell yes. The trifecta of awful visual effects.

Though I do enjoy a good implementation of DoF. I know a lot of people hate that as well.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Expected a bunch of idiots who haven't played the game with RTX, whining that RTX looks wrong and/or blurry in static screenshots of said game. Was not disappointed.

Can we explain why RTX on looks softer on its clarity then?

Remember Metro Exodus had the same Softness issue with DLSS. Later a sharpening filter was applied in a "optimization" patch.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Expected a bunch of idiots who haven't played the game with RTX, whining that RTX looks wrong and/or blurry in static screenshots of said game. Was not disappointed.

Pretty sure the softness just boils down the AA implementation, as Nvidia noted in their performance guide:

Evil but fun said:
Modern Warfare exclusively uses SMAA anti-aliasing to counteract jagged and flickery lines and edges on surfaces and moving game elements. On the low end of things is SMAA 1X, a super fast, albeit basic implementation that lacks a temporal component, meaning flickering and shimmering on moving elements can still be seen.

To tackle those unsightly blighters, you need a good dose of temporal anti-aliasing, which SMAA T2X delivers in spades. So, what's the final option, "Filmic SMAA T2X"? Simply, it's a softer implementation that's intended to closer mirror reality by introducing an additional post-processing pass that improves AA accuracy and further reduces the visibility of aliasing, giving you a near-perfect, aliasing-free picture, at the cost of some sharpness.

As such...

MEANIE nVIDIA said:
When enabling SMAA T2X or Filmic SMAA T2X, you can configure the Anti-Aliasing Filmic Strength slider. By default, the strength is set to max. Turning it down, detail becomes sharper, but aliasing and temporal aliasing can creep back in, most noticeably on long-distance detail ...

But yes, presumably you can just apply the sharpen filter, if your the kind of Call of Duty gamer that likes to obsessively zoom in to teacups whilst you play. :p

Pretty sure the softness just boils down the AA implementation, as Nvidia noted in their performance guide:

But yes, presumably you can just apply the sharpen filter, if your the kind of Call of Duty gamer that likes to obsessively zoom in to teacups whilst you play. :p

If thats the case those issues should appear on both the RTX On and Off unless we are being presented with different settings under each. Page 3

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
If thats the case those issues should appear on both the RTX On and Off unless we are being presented with different settings under each.

I guess, what is your personal experience with the game?

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Absolutely right. That's what every sane person believes. Nvidia have been degrading performance of discontinued cards through their drivers since history.
Just...no. They have already had every bit of performance squeezed out with drivers. Beyond that, when more intensive and complex games get made, older GPU families cannot help but be left behind.

Last edited:

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Yes, power use is close with the Nv cards eeking it out for what little that is worth.

I wouldn't call a ~25% difference in power use "a bit more power hungry" (225W vs 175W). With that, it isn't winning the performance /W metric either... or am I math challenged this morning?

All of a sudden power consumption matters to AMD flag wavers now that they're competitive, when Vega/Polaris etc were much worse "nobody cares about power consumption" because of price : performance ratio etc etc. It's entertaining how fast it flips.

Absolutely right. That's what every sane person believes. Nvidia have been degrading performance of discontinued cards through their drivers since history.

The tinfoil hat is strong with this one. They don't degrade performance, total myth. They just pour more much more optimization effort into the latest generation. Various tests have been done proving that in the same titles over the years performance generally improves slightly or stays the same. Let me google it for you.

To be on topic for a moment, I am very keen to try out this title as I loved the Original, excellent coverage as always W1zzard

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
All of a sudden power consumption matters to AMD flag wavers now that they're competitive, when Vega/Polaris etc were much worse "nobody cares about power consumption" because of price : performance ratio etc etc. It's entertaining how fast it flips.
AMD flag raiser???? Hahaha, good one.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Holy hell yes. The trifecta of awful visual effects.

Though I do enjoy a good implementation of DoF. I know a lot of people hate that as well.

DoF is a bit like DX9's Bloom. It used to suck monkey balls, nowadays you barely ever have to turn it off. DoF is fast going that way it seems. I used to disable it all the time, but found myself not disabling it more often recently.

Did you just assume his gender?
:nutkick:

You have misunderstood how raytracing is used in COD:MW. It is not used to render the image. Image overall is still rendered the same way with and without RTX.
Raytracing is only used to render certain part of shadows that is then merged with shadows from other (more usual, rasterization) methods.

Dunno, cause that output on pics looks exactly like full RTX. Also shadows look different enough to doubt merging with normal too.