1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Calling all 6xxx crossfire users

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by The_Ish, Aug 7, 2011.

1. The_Ish

The_Ish New Member

Thanks Received:
    Am I the only one experiencing terrible scaling? Especielly in BFBC2 where i get LESS fps, and incredible lag. I really feel cheated on buying CF. You don't buy a new hybrid car where only one of the engines work, because that would defeat the purpose. Ok, bad example, but you know where I'm getting at.

There will be /wrists :cry:

2. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    It's likely not the cards but another issue. There was a post recently, exact same problem and it came down to the multiplayer issue. Try BFBC2 single player and check the fps. That'll let you know if there is any real probs. Also, make sure you're on the latest catalyst and have the application profiles downloaded.

3. The_Ish

The_Ish New Member

Thanks Received:
    That could have been me who made that thread. I've tried all compatible drivers to date. Right now I'm running 11.8 preview. None has worked. And you are right, it works in SP, but not in MP, which is the real mind fck.. CAP is 11.7 (latest)..

edit/ In CCC's overdrive tab it says my main card is running at 500/1375 and my secondary at 250/150. Is this normal? The card themselves are set to 880/1375 +20% power.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  4. erocker

erocker Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking this may be a chipset and/or chipset driver problem perhaps. Or, it's some sort of driver issue within Windows.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    You had a bit of performance issue a couple of days ago, for all of like two minutes...was app profile that fixed that right?

Could be a nerf'd profile.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. erocker

Thanks Received:
    The performance issue was in F1 2010 and I pretty much chalk that one up to AMD. The CAP helped a little. The issue I was having with BFBC2 was it needed a Punkbuster update.

cadaveca says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  7. The_Ish

The_Ish New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've tried that, but I'll try again. We all know what a bitch punkbuster can be :)
    The bigger problem right now is I'm getting the multiplay hang/massive stutter for the first 30 sec even in SP now. But that could be due to the 11.8 driver as this is the first time I've tried SP with it.

I'll try reinstalling PB again.

edit/ didn't help. And also, the CF bars in RadeoPro is telling me I'm only using about 25% of the card in MP. In SP it tells me they're using about 75%. But the stutter exists in both places now (as of 11.8).

I updated the chipset drivers just last week, but that didn't do anything. Bios was given an update as well, with the same outcome.
    I'm starting to believe more and more it can't be the game OR drivers because I've seen people using the same card setup as me on youtube, and they don't have these problems.
    But then again, how could it be my hardware as all the other games works flawlessly? The only game other than BC2 I'm having "trouble" with, is ArmA 2, which gives me bad textures when CF is NOT enabled (oh noes!).
    But it should be noted that A2 is a horrible game as far as good FPS go, and I've been playing it's predecessors since Operation flash point. I'll give that game a pass, since I know how much of a unique resource hog it is.

edit/ Well actually, I don't think i used driver sweeper for the chipset, that might be worth a try.. I'm gonna start with safe boot and do a sweep and reinstall them.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  8. erocker

Thanks Received:
    I'm using 11.8 with CrossFire 6950's (unlocked) and am not having problems in BFBC2. I'm thinking a Windows reinstall should help you. If you don't want to do that, do this when reinstalling your video drivers: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52502

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. The_Ish

The_Ish New Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought driver sweeper took care of everything? Oh well.. And no, I don't really want to reinstall Windows right now. It's a 12h project whenever I do that, to get everything right. Otherwise that would be my first solution as I generally have no patience for these kind of problems..

10. The_Ish

The_Ish New Member

Thanks Received:
    I followed your guide. Well, I got some sort of AMD CFX logo in the top right corner when starting BC2 which wasn't there before.. SP is still the same and MP crashed the game upon joining a server.

Still runs great with one card.

11. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Has RadeonPro been installed the whole time? That could be causing an issue as well.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. The_Ish

The_Ish New Member

Thanks Received:
    No it hasn't. I also read that any kind of monitoring software could be the cause.. I disabled real temp, and joy to me it worked like a charm. But then I realized CF wasn't even on lol.

edit/ Look, at least the game works well enough with one card. This is just out of principle you know? I've got several great games I've preordered that comes out August/September, I'll just hold out till then.
    Been trying to fix this for about a week and no one seems to have a clue whats causing it so. I think i'll just give in and call it a day. I just hope BF3 works better. I have yet to hear any complaints about CF not working in the BF3 alpha so my thumbs are held :D

13. erocker

Thanks Received:
    You could try uninstalling all of the MS Visual C++'s through the Control Panel, then reinstall them (both x86 and x64 for 05,08,2010) then be sure to do a few Windows Updates to make sure they're all patched. Also make sure DirectX is up to date.

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. The_Ish

The_Ish New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't even know what they do.

15. Volkszorn88

Volkszorn88

Thanks Received:
    My crossfire 6870s handle any game with no problem on any settings at 1920x1080 soooo ye...

my 2 cents

16. The_Ish

The_Ish New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I uninstalled everything that came from Windows update, restarted and ran several CClean's (just to be sure). And the problem still presists. Somehow I doubt reinstalling windows is gonna help. I also read about a guy who had done just that twice, with no success.

17. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Erocker, back when I had a 1090T and a GTX 460 I got a massive boost in fps when I used an optimised six core config someone had created on the F1 2010 forums. It literally doubled my minimum and added another 25% to 50% on my max frames. Don't know if that would help you at all.

EDIT - Ish, have you tried running the game windowed? If it works windowed, I know some low footprint software which can then enable it fullscreen windowed without any borders.

18. FierceRed

FierceRed

Thanks Received:
    I thought CF didn't work in Windowed Mode?

I thought everyone knew that.

I think I'm right.

Right? :wtf:

LifeOnMars says thanks.
  19. The_Ish

The_Ish New Member

Thanks Received:
    Fierce is right, CF only works in fullscreen.

20. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh ok my bad :) Just thought it was a possible avenue you could explore mate, not to worry.

21. Grnfinger

Grnfinger New Member

Thanks Received:
    For the short time I had 2 6870's they performed stellar.
    Scaling was great and the drivers at teh time were very in mature.

22. TheDave545 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have 2 6950's and i get scaling issues, desktop is fine when sorted through the CCC, but a few games i get scaling issues.

I may have sorted it though, not sure.

I checked my resolution in windows, 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz, then i changed it to the exact same thing in CCC, and it seemed to sort it out for me.

More than likely will mess up again for me soon, it seems everytime i sort one problem out 2 more crop up, highly annoying.

23. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    the second card is not in use ,it is in sleep mode with those clocks,trust me when you go into a game that will kick up to its 880 clocks.Yes it normal for the second card to be in a sleep sate.It is what AMD calls power saver.As for BC2 try updating PB it is pain in the ....for that game .

I might also add use the AMD profile cap http://www.rage3d.com/cap/ programs ,they have updates to crossfire games in them.Yes you need to download ALL of them,But ounce there in the system it is worth it.

24. FierceRed

FierceRed

Thanks Received:
    Wai- WAIT WTF?!

You only need to download the latest CAP, period. All CAPs have the profiles included within them that came in the CAPs before it. In other words, downloading and installing CAP "11.8 #1" alone, will also install all of the profiles AMD has ever come out with in CAP versions "11.7 #3" and below.

What might you be smoking there H82LUZ73? Could I take a hit?

25. therealslimgamey

therealslimgamey New Member

Thanks Received:
    I find that frame smoothness etc in bfbc2 is not easy. overclocking etc can most of the time make things worse. I enable v-sync as no matter what gpu etc i use its not that smooth but much better with v-synch. I am finding that its the cpu that governs how well this game runs. Many people also find that ccc 11.8 actually makes things worse so are going back to 11.4. bfbc2 is a game that only is getting worse with time...almost time to selve it me thinks.
    N.B the card will run at 500Mhz through video playback etc and at 250 or something on idle it will only ramp up when required unless theres issues with the bios.