• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Calling all 6xxx crossfire users

Processor i5-7600k
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ AC MX-4
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 2400 Corsair LPX Vengeance 15-15-15-36
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr 1070ti
Storage 240GB Corsair Force GT
Display(s) 23' Dell AW2310
Case Corsair 550D
Power Supply Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
i belve they call it a voltage metre i build pc's for a living 750w is bottom of the line for two 6950's and your cpu as long as it is a respectable brand antec thermaltake etc now when you have a 750w psu that is its absolute max output so you have a card that requires a minimum 500w psu for 1 card ati specs now i know they run at 300w idling because i have tested it so you have a 125w cpu and two video cards idling at 300w ill let you do the math now to play it safe im saying to minimize crashing from lack of voltage 800-900w minimum its called playing it smart and that will allow you some headroom as most ppl in this room are ameteur home pc builders so mate play it safe you can get 900w psu for about 150bucks australian

Are you talking about total system power consumption with a 6950? Because my 5850 idles at about 30w. A 6950 can't be too much more than that. A lot of people tend to over exaggerate how much power they need to actually keep their system stable, I know because I've done it before as many others have. A good quality 750w PSU should be able to handle a pair of 6950s in crossfire with an OC'd CPU. Just because AMD specs that they require a 500w PSU to handle a single card doesn't mean that it can't run in a lower wattage PSU. They do the same thing we do, they play it safe and say "hey, just to be on the safe side, let's recommend a slightly higher PSU so that we can decrease the amount of customer whiners to the stores we ship to."

Last edited:
System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
i belve they call it a voltage metre i build pc's for a living 750w is bottom of the line for two 6950's and your cpu as long as it is a respectable brand antec thermaltake etc now when you have a 750w psu that is its absolute max output so you have a card that requires a minimum 500w psu for 1 card ati specs now i know they run at 300w idling because i have tested it so you have a 125w cpu and two video cards idling at 300w ill let you do the math now to play it safe im saying to minimize crashing from lack of voltage 800-900w minimum its called playing it smart and that will allow you some headroom as most ppl in this room are ameteur home pc builders so mate play it safe you can get 900w psu for about 150bucks australian

Why are you trying to lie?

No GPU, much less modern GPUs, idle at 300W. The 300W you saw in a review (btw a review doesn't count as YOU testing it lol) is 300W total system usage probably as the post above me said

Now i the time to delete your posts and accept the humiliation and learn.

@OP 750W is cutting it close. Try stock clocks to see if it helps, disconnect any unneeded accessories, maybe even undervolt (ie: 1.25V @ stock clocks instead of 1.3V), if that helps, you may have an insufficient PSU.

texaschainsaw01

System Name BLOODY BIG RIG
Processor AMD 955 BE 4.0Ghz
Motherboard AsRock 890GX Extreme3
Cooling Coolit ALC Vantage
Memory 8GB Corsair
Video Card(s) VTX3D HD6950 2GB
Storage 3TB Western Digital
Display(s) LG 42"LCD HD
Case NZXT Guardian 921RB
Power Supply Antec 700W
Software Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 23697 3D Mark Score Average FPS 156 Max FPS 328
Why are you trying to lie?

No GPU, much less modern GPUs, idle at 300W. The 300W you saw in a review (btw a review doesn't count as YOU testing it lol) is 300W total system usage probably as the post above me said

Now i the time to delete your posts and accept the humiliation and learn.

@OP 750W is cutting it close. Try stock clocks to see if it helps, disconnect any unneeded accessories, maybe even undervolt (ie: 1.25V @ stock clocks instead of 1.3V), if that helps, you may have an insufficient PSU.

alot of you are idiots (im not saying everyone) ive been typing from my mobile firstly secondly how many ppl here have had there pc's built by a professional or did you all do it by yourself i am trying to guide him into buying something that will last and not just cut it as everytime you add a HDD DVD Burner etc you add strain to your PSU but all you lot are interested in is a minimum power supply to run his rig and solve his problems maybe

so original postee if your reading this dont go with a 750w psu you will more than likely to run into your same problems as you are now 850w minimum and higher will do and you should be safe to do what ever you need to do

System Name Red and Green,mean machine!
Processor AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro
Cooling Arctic eSports Duo
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX3070 Gaming
Storage Couple ssd , nvme etc
Display(s) AORUS FI25F 240hz
Case Cooler Master HAF X
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
Software Win 11 64bit
alot of you are idiots (im not saying everyone) ive been typing from my mobile firstly secondly how many ppl here have had there pc's built by a professional or did you all do it by yourself i am trying to guide him into buying something that will last and not just cut it as everytime you add a HDD DVD Burner etc you add strain to your PSU but all you lot are interested in is a minimum power supply to run his rig and solve his problems maybe

so original postee if your reading this dont go with a 750w psu you will more than likely to run into your same problems as you are now 850w minimum and higher will do and you should be safe to do what ever you need to do

WTH is wrong with you...???Check my sig man,i'm cutting it with 600W why recommend 850W??
he is not going to use that PSU forever why keep him so "safe"
you as pro builder should know that PSU is the only component in a system that degrades by time...

System Name Nexus PC
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3, 3600 MHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3
Cooling Thermalright Macho V2
Memory 24GB DDR3, 1400MHZ CL8
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon R9 290
Storage Samsung EVO 960 250gb, EVO 850 250gb, Vertex 3 128gb. 2 TB of Rotational.
Display(s) 1xAsus MX299, 2x Asus MX239, Oculus Rift CV1
Case Sunflower Tower
Audio Device(s) C-Media CMI8738/C3DX
Power Supply Corsair TX850
Mouse Cyborg R.A.T. 7
Software Win7 64Bit Ultimate
*sigh*... this severe lack of knowledge here,paired with a bigmouthedness,that i have rarely seen, is simply frustrating.

Processor i5-7600k
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ AC MX-4
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 2400 Corsair LPX Vengeance 15-15-15-36
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr 1070ti
Storage 240GB Corsair Force GT
Display(s) 23' Dell AW2310
Case Corsair 550D
Power Supply Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

The main components in a system that draws the most power are #1 GPU and #2 CPU, depending on what kind of enthusiast a person is. RAM, MB, optical disk drives, HDDs, etc. all get second consideration in the equation, if at all.
I guarantee you that ANY halfway decent 700w-750w PSU can run a CPU and 2 crossfired 6950s at stock no problem at all. Hell, even if there is mild OC'ing involved. Now if there is a significant voltage increase for OC'ing, then there might be a problem with power delivery and keeping the system stable.
Most of the people on this site do indeed build their own PCs and do quite a bit of testing and benchmarking to determine many thresholds. You sound a bit inexperienced. Don't mean to insult you, but when you start jumping in the pool instead of just dipping your toes in, I'd love to hear some stories :)

Sorry to go off topic there. But honestly, if there are stability issues, try setting everything back to defaults in the BIOS and restart. Or undervolt like someone else said.

texaschainsaw01

Memory 8GB Corsair
Display(s) LG 42"LCD HD
Case NZXT Guardian 921RB
Power Supply Antec 700W
WTH is wrong with you...???Check my sig man,i'm cutting it with 600W why recommend 850W??
he is not going to use that PSU forever why keep him so "safe"
you as pro builder should know that PSU is the only component in a system that degrades by time...

and you are running very little and on top of that your only running quad core not a six core yes psu degrade over time but take my PC for example im running a 700 watt psu and 4HDD's and 8gig of ram a coolit vantage and fans and lcd's none of you are taking this into consideration i have left enough headroom for more whatever he wants more HDD DVD blu ray burners etc LED's Cold Cathode lights Fans LCD Displays etc etc and as for he is not going to use the PSU forever hell he isnt going to use that PC forever lol and for the comment the PSU is the only component in a system that degrades by time your wrong every part in your pc degrades over time hell your corsair has a life of 50,000 hours lol so

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

texaschainsaw01

Memory 8GB Corsair
Display(s) LG 42"LCD HD
Case NZXT Guardian 921RB
Power Supply Antec 700W
The main components in a system that draws the most power are #1 GPU and #2 CPU, depending on what kind of enthusiast a person is. RAM, MB, optical disk drives, HDDs, etc. all get second consideration in the equation, if at all.
I guarantee you that ANY halfway decent 700w-750w PSU can run a CPU and 2 crossfired 6950s at stock no problem at all. Hell, even if there is mild OC'ing involved. Now if there is a significant voltage increase for OC'ing, then there might be a problem with power delivery and keeping the system stable.
Most of the people on this site do indeed build their own PCs and do quite a bit of testing and benchmarking to determine many thresholds. You sound a bit inexperienced. Don't mean to insult you, but when you start jumping in the pool instead of just dipping your toes in, I'd love to hear some stories :)

Sorry to go off topic there. But honestly, if there are stability issues, try setting everything back to defaults in the BIOS and restart. Or undervolt like someone else said.

and i agree with you that can run it fine just trying to leave a little headroom for what ever he may need in this build

System Name Nexus PC
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3, 3600 MHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3
Cooling Thermalright Macho V2
Memory 24GB DDR3, 1400MHZ CL8
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon R9 290
Storage Samsung EVO 960 250gb, EVO 850 250gb, Vertex 3 128gb. 2 TB of Rotational.
Display(s) 1xAsus MX299, 2x Asus MX239, Oculus Rift CV1
Case Sunflower Tower
Audio Device(s) C-Media CMI8738/C3DX
Power Supply Corsair TX850
Mouse Cyborg R.A.T. 7
Software Win7 64Bit Ultimate
and you are running very little and on top of that your only running quad core not a six core yes psu degrade over time but take my PC for example im running a 700 watt psu and 4HDD's and 8gig of ram a coolit vantage and fans and lcd's none of you are taking this into consideration i have left enough headroom for more whatever he wants more HDD DVD blu ray burners etc LED's Cold Cathode lights Fans LCD Displays etc etc and as for he is not going to use the PSU forever hell he isnt going to use that PC forever lol and for the comment the PSU is the only component in a system that degrades by time your wrong every part in your pc degrades over time hell your corsair has a life of 50,000 hours lol so

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

Please learn to use punctuation and commata, that will make your comments look more like beeing written by a mature... and its much easier on the eyes of the people,
who have to read it. Just out of respect for others.
Thanks.

Oh, and please keep your tone. If you need to let out aggression, your punching bag is your best friend.

Last edited:
System Name Red and Green,mean machine!
Processor AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro
Cooling Arctic eSports Duo
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX3070 Gaming
Storage Couple ssd , nvme etc
Display(s) AORUS FI25F 240hz
Case Cooler Master HAF X
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
Software Win 11 64bit

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

I meant degrades faster and it's useless spending money on something that u MAY use after several upgrades...
FYI new gen CPU are more power effective than older ones X4 and X6 are both 125W(maybe u remember the first 965 were 140W now they all 125W)

Lee Mendes

System Name Lian Li PC-9F BlaCk
Processor Intel Core i7 2600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z68X-UD7-B3
Cooling Corsair CWC-H70 + SCYTHE Gentle Typhoon 2*120mm High RPM Fan Series
Memory G.Skill Kit Extreme3 4 x 2 Go PC12800 Ripjaws X CAS6
Video Card(s) CROSSFIRE Asus EAH6970 DirectCUII/2DI4S/2GD5
Storage RAID Zéro Kingston SSDNow V Series G2 64Go + Crucial M4 64 Go SATA Revision 3.0
Display(s) Iiyama ProLite E2710HDS-B1
Case Lian Li PC-9F BlaCk + Cache BZ-501B + Kit d'isolation phonique
Power Supply Enermax LEPA 900w
Software Windows Seven Intégrale 64
Mon CrossFire @stock ne comporte aucun problème dans les jeux pour l'instant. Je touche du bois :)

System Name Homelabs
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)

What I am saying is that you are MISINFORMED and LYING... Also, name calling, not cool. oh and PLEASE if you respond to this, RESPOND WITH FACTS THAT BACKUP YOUR STATEMENTS.

thats the thing this program gives you a base line at idle two 6950 requires 600w min on idle as they use 300w each on idle so as soon as you get load that will shoot upto 700-750 easy

No, the PSU calculators give you a baseline for MAX usage (the parts running at their TDP basically). They aren't 100% accurate, but they come close.

Again with the misinformation, but now you start lying...

I doubt to build PCs for a living. Mainly because you believe that 6950s idle at 300W and also "because of the lack of voltage"? sure if you overdraw from a PSU the component could crash because the voltages start to fluctuate and be too low, but it is highly unlikely. It will most likely crash because there is a lack of current (Amps)

6950s idle at 18W. Note that from the GPU's tested for the review below, the 4870x2, which has a reputation of power consumption on idle, consumes less then 75W, and that's for a dual GPU. idk why the 4870 is at 75W, must be a bug.

Now to claim that you tested it personally and that it is 300W, well, now you are just plain lying. The MAXIMUM a 6950 can consume is 182W according to our reviews here at TPU. So he couldn't even be a mix up of you testing it at full load

So to make a more accurate judgement. Here are some numbers with headroom included.

150W for lightly OCed Phenom II x6
400W (200Wx2) for the 6950s stock (if OCed, you have to add a lot, maybe even up to 90W ea if shader unlocked)
50W for all accessories (DVD, Bluray, RAM, HDD)
50W just in case, includes degradation
100W e-peen, long-term degradation, sweeter efficiency spot

750W has enough space to even include e-peen

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Me personally just buys PSUs as a Future Expansion n all to support more, i only replace them if they burn out or if they cannot support the next major hardware build

System Name Homelabs
Me personally just buys PSUs as a Future Expansion n all to support more, i only replace them if they burn out or if they cannot support the next major hardware build

most enthusiasts replace their PSU after 2x 2~3 year old builds unless it becomes a backup computer