• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Calling all experts to solve mystery!

Darkening

Processor AMD Athlon II X3 455 @3.3 Ghz (Stock)
Motherboard Asus M4A77/USB3
Cooling Stock cooling
Memory 12 GB DDR3 Kingston / SuperTalent
Video Card(s) XFX Ati Radeon HD4870 1GB DDR5
Storage WD 1 TB Green 64 MB Buffer
Display(s) Dell 2007 WFP
Case Thermaltake Xaser V
Audio Device(s) Onboard, Via 1708S
Power Supply ION Z 600 W
Software Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
Dark-

Please install this and then uninstall all AMD drivers. THEN reboot into safe mode and run driver sweeper. After its finished It will reboot then install different drivers.

http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/Version-3-2-0/

Hey, thanks for the link! I'll do that now. I'll remove all AMD drivers, which Cata version should I install? I have 11.9 installer. Should I try going back to 11.8? 11.10 preview?

Installed Sweeper... Erasing drivers now. Will be back after a while...

Darkening

Cooling Stock cooling
Display(s) Dell 2007 WFP
Case Thermaltake Xaser V
Power Supply ION Z 600 W
Refresh rate is how often the screen updates the picture and FPS is how often the video card sends a new picture to the screen. I.E. with a 60 hertz refresh anything above 60 fps is a "waste" of frames, and a 120 hertz refresh rate with 60 fps the screen will only update the picture every two hertz.

I understand. What I wanted to ask is...

Shouldn't FPS be solid 75 with VSync on, if the monitor is running at 75 Hz? Assuming of course the card can get those FPS.

Try one you have not tried before.

I'll try the 11.10 preview 3 then. If not, I should go back to 11.6...

Currently without driver, in 800x600 :twitch:

Downloading 11.10, will take a while, only 1 Mbit link...

Will update after install, thank you!

Someone post below so I don't double post later :p

Processor Intel i7-940 @ 3.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6X58D-E
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 12GB OCZ Platinum XTC DDR3 1600mhz CL7
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780ti
Storage Revodrive X2 240GB, 5TB HDD storage
Display(s) Asus PB278Q 27''
Case Antec Lanboy Air
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Corsair HX850W
Software Windows 7 x64
I understand. What I wanted to ask is...

Shouldn't FPS be solid 75 with VSync on, if the monitor is running at 75 Hz? Assuming of course the card can get those FPS.

Vsync means that the card won't display a picture from the video memory until it's completely done rendering it.
Edit: sorry, I got that wrong: Vsync prevents the video card from modifying the display memory until the monitor finishes its current refresh cycle, and yes, it caps FPS to the refresh rate.

Someone post below so I don't double post later :p

:rockout:

Last edited:

Darkening

Cooling Stock cooling
Display(s) Dell 2007 WFP
Case Thermaltake Xaser V
Power Supply ION Z 600 W
Vsync means that the card won't display a picture from the video memory until it's completely done rendering it.
Edit: sorry, I got that wrong: Vsync prevents the video card from modifying the display memory until the monitor finishes its current refresh cycle, and yes, it caps FPS to the refresh rate.

:rockout:

Well, I'm back. Deleted drivers, downloaded Cat 11.8 (11.10 was a much larger download, wasn't on the AMD/Ati site and provided enhanced to BF3 which I don't have)

Ran SSam and the problem persists, only at 1680x1050. FPS caps at 60 so I think the Refresh rate is 60 Hz. I'll try deleting my monitor driver to see what happens. I'll try reinstalling PhysX drivers too, but I think SSam doesn't use it.

I accept more suggestions. I'll reinstall in a few hours.

Thanks to all for the help and support!

System Name Custom Built
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME A520M-A
Cooling Stock heatsink/fan
Memory 16GB 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz
Video Card(s) MSI 1050Ti 4GB
Storage KINGSTON SNVS250G 256GB M.2 + 2 data disks
Display(s) Dell S2421NX
Case Aerocool CS103
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Seasonic M12II-520 EVO
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
PhysX? but it is only for Nvidia or do you have a dedicated PhysX card?

Well, I didn't do the reinstall yet. I wanted to try Goodman advice and loaded SSam with lower res. Put 1280x1024 and the problem is gone. I ran it for 30 minutes without a problem. Checked temps too, the max was 79º C for the GPU and MEMIO, 65 for SHADERCORE.

Sooo... Lowering res fixes the problem but temps are lower too. What should I try now? I'll go back to 1680x1050 to see if it crashes.

Yay, we are making progress! :laugh:

I am starting to suspect the monitor too but I think it's very unlikely. Does the card artifact or show some graphic abnormalities even if minimal or it is totally fine? :confused:

Darkening

Cooling Stock cooling
Display(s) Dell 2007 WFP
Case Thermaltake Xaser V
Power Supply ION Z 600 W
PhysX? but it is only for Nvidia or do you have a dedicated PhysX card?

I am starting to suspect the monitor too but I think it's very unlikely. Does the card artifact or show some graphic abnormalities even if minimal or it is totally fine? :confused:

Hey! I'm back! Sorry, was reinstalling and then life came up. I didn't remember I had one, :p

Reinstalling helped somewhat, but Serious Sam keeps doing the problem. Borderlands works flawlessly as ever now. I didn't try Fallout 3 but I'll reinstall it and see what happens.

The PhysX drivers are needed for some games, even if you don't have an nVidia card. Borderlands complains about PhysX if it's not installed. Was a wild guess though, changing version or removing it altogether didn't made a difference.

The card doesn't do any out of the normal. There are no artifacts, no texture corruption, nothing. You would say it's working in perfect condition if I never installed Serious Sam and even then, playing with a lower res "fixes" the issue.

Is there a way to test the monitor? I have the extended warranty, 5 years... If there's a problem, I could RMA it.

Thanks for your reply, appreciate it!

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Try to find updated drivers for your monitor.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus
Memory GSkill 8GB Dual Channel DDR4-2800
Video Card(s) MSI GamingX RX580 4GB
Storage Kingston V300 240GB SSD + WD Green 2TB
Display(s) ACER K212HL 27" + Haier 55" + Lenovo Explorer Mixed Reality Headset
Case Enermax Ostrog (Red)
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA B2 750W
Software Win10 64bit
Are you using a dvi to d-sub adapter or anything like that? I had a problem once with an adapter. It wouldn't let me run the native resolution.

Try a different cable?

System Name Custom Built
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME A520M-A
Cooling Stock heatsink/fan
Memory 16GB 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz
Video Card(s) MSI 1050Ti 4GB
Storage KINGSTON SNVS250G 256GB M.2 + 2 data disks
Display(s) Dell S2421NX
Case Aerocool CS103
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Seasonic M12II-520 EVO
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Hey! I'm back! Sorry, was reinstalling and then life came up. I didn't remember I had one, :p

Reinstalling helped somewhat, but Serious Sam keeps doing the problem. Borderlands works flawlessly as ever now. I didn't try Fallout 3 but I'll reinstall it and see what happens.

The PhysX drivers are needed for some games, even if you don't have an nVidia card. Borderlands complains about PhysX if it's not installed. Was a wild guess though, changing version or removing it altogether didn't made a difference.

The card doesn't do any out of the normal. There are no artifacts, no texture corruption, nothing. You would say it's working in perfect condition if I never installed Serious Sam and even then, playing with a lower res "fixes" the issue.

Is there a way to test the monitor? I have the extended warranty, 5 years... If there's a problem, I could RMA it.

Thanks for your reply, appreciate it!

I didn't knew that (about PhysX) thanks for clearing me that :)

I am beginning to think, after your last post, that may be that game issue, now do you get issues only in that game or does happen in another one? Lets see how goes in Fallout 3, but I would suspect the monitor, if you can check every resolution in Windows and see if there is some who don't work :)

Benetanegia

When you lower resolution, temps are lower too, isn't it? I think it might be related to overheating, I'm thinking about the vram, try lowering the clocks on the memory. Be generous when lowering clocks, it's just for testing. If that fixes the problem it could be the memory, see if vram modules are properly cooled and in the worst case keep the vram clocks lower than default until you can find a solution. It's the best I can come up after you've tried everything else suggested here.

Bear in mind that games like Metro, Crysis and many many other modern games stress the GPU a lot, but due to the graphics processor being the bottleneck, memory is not necessarily working at 100%. Games like Fallout, Borderlands and Serious Sam use very old 3d engines, so they don't do as much shader computation and hence the bottleneck is created in other places, i.e textures being loaded into memory.

EDIT: Also it could be your main memory that's causing that. I had a similar problem where the PC crashed when playing some games or doing some other stressful tasks. In the end the problem was apparently that the memory modules (Corsair Dominator) required higher voltage than what the mobo gave by default. Changing the voltage to the one specified in the modules fixed the problem. The sticks should have worked on (JEDEC) default settings, but maybe because they were OC oriented modules or maybe because the mobo was a cheap one that I bought as a replacement, they wouldn't work with default vmem, not even at the stock clocks of 800 Mhz. At the specified vmem the sticks would do 1066 Mhz and then some though. Bottom line, check your main ram too just in case.

Yeah, it's the way Ageia decided for their API and Nvidia hasn't changed it. It's kinda like Java, you need the JVM/JRE installed on your computer in order to run Java code.

Last edited:

Darkening

Cooling Stock cooling
Display(s) Dell 2007 WFP
Case Thermaltake Xaser V
Power Supply ION Z 600 W
Hello, I'm back! Thanks for the continued assistance! I'll reply to everyone now, I made sure to try every suggestion before posting again, to update on the situation.

Try to find updated drivers for your monitor.

I searched updated drivers since the one that Windows 7 installs is from 2006. I didn't find anything so I tried the next best thing, using the "Generic PNP monitor" driver. It didn't make a difference. I'm running with the generic driver now.

Are you using a dvi to d-sub adapter or anything like that? I had a problem once with an adapter. It wouldn't let me run the native resolution.

Try a different cable?

I'm not using any adapter. I use the DVI out from the monitor and my card has only 2 DVI ports. It was complicated, but I got another DVI cable to try your suggestion. Didn't make a difference. Tried both card ports just to be sure.

I am beginning to think, after your last post, that may be that game issue, now do you get issues only in that game or does happen in another one? Lets see how goes in Fallout 3, but I would suspect the monitor, if you can check every resolution in Windows and see if there is some who don't work :)

Haha, you're welcome! I'm glad I could share some knowledge with you too!

Reinstalled Fallout, DLCs and patches. Tried a game and it seemed to work Ok but eventually it froze on me. I forgot to open GPU-Z so I tried again, this time with GPU-Z logging. I played 1 hour without problems... :wtf:

I checked temps and max GPU and MEM was 83º C. I'll try a larger game session at night to see what happens. I really wonder what causes this...

Windows resolution doesn't have problems. Went from 800x600 all the way to 1680x1050 with no issues.

When you lower resolution, temps are lower too, isn't it? I think it might be related to overheating, I'm thinking about the vram, try lowering the clocks on the memory. Be generous when lowering clocks, it's just for testing. If that fixes the problem it could be the memory, see if vram modules are properly cooled and in the worst case keep the vram clocks lower than default until you can find a solution. It's the best I can come up after you've tried everything else suggested here.

Bear in mind that games like Metro, Crysis and many many other modern games stress the GPU a lot, but due to the graphics processor being the bottleneck, memory is not necessarily working at 100%. Games like Fallout, Borderlands and Serious Sam use very old 3d engines, so they don't do as much shader computation and hence the bottleneck is created in other places, i.e textures being loaded into memory.

EDIT: Also it could be your main memory that's causing that. I had a similar problem where the PC crashed when playing some games or doing some other stressful tasks. In the end the problem was apparently that the memory modules (Corsair Dominator) required higher voltage than what the mobo gave by default. Changing the voltage to the one specified in the modules fixed the problem. The sticks should have worked on (JEDEC) default settings, but maybe because they were OC oriented modules or maybe because the mobo was a cheap one that I bought as a replacement, they wouldn't work with default vmem, not even at the stock clocks of 800 Mhz. At the specified vmem the sticks would do 1066 Mhz and then some though. Bottom line, check your main ram too just in case.

Yeah, it's the way Ageia decided for their API and Nvidia hasn't changed it. It's kinda like Java, you need the JVM/JRE installed on your computer in order to run Java code.

Hey, thanks for the long post! You are correct, with lower resolution, the temps are lower too. And another thing that maybe you're right, normally is the GPU limiting everything and older games (Or better optimized) are stressing the mems and causing the problem. If Fallout 3 cases, I was surprised to see that the GPU max load was 70 %. Memory usage stays between 400~550 Megs. I thought it was more GPU intensive.

As I said, the memory chips don't have any kind of cooling. No fans, no heatsinks, nothing. The temps are suspiciously similar to those in the GPU, so maybe the thermal diode is not reporting accurate memory temp. I didn't tried to lower the clocks yet, but I added a fan near the chips to see if it helps. It didn't made a difference but the chips gets really hot.

As for my main memory, I removed everything except for a module. I have 3 4 GB modules, only one is really mine, so I removed the other two. I'm running with 4 Gigs now, just one Kingston module. So far, Fallout 3 is working fine. Serious Sam keeps crashing. I'm starting to think that my hardware config could have a problem with the game. It's crazy, Borderlands works flawlessly and I didn't even changed anything in the game config.

Will update when I finish testing. I'm now more interested in knowing what could cause this behavior rather than solving the problem :p

Million thanks to everyone!

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified