• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

can 6 phase VRM boards handle 3900X? would like feedback from people who tried it

Otonel88

Even the MSI B450 Tomahwak can handle the 3950x according to HardwareUnboxed which is a beast of a processor.
The only thing that I don't like about that board it's somehow the astethics (it doesnt have some fancy vram, back inputs cover), and in some areas it can lack some features, but other than that everyone says it's a good board. Is the board would be a bit more aesthetically pleasing and a few more features for £150 it would be great.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 185158

@JackCarver
That was an impressive, very technical display. If the OP had not already stated that the problem was their PSU and not the motherboard, I would be happy to discuss your presentation.

It's relevant, please discuss!!

Even the MSI B450 Tomahwak can handle the 3950x according to HardwareUnboxed which is a beast of a processor.
The only thing that I don't like about that board it's somehow the astethics (it doesnt have some fancy vram, back inputs cover), and in some areas it can lack some features, but other than that everyone says it's a good board. Is the board would be a bit more aesthetically pleasing and a few more features for £150 it would be great.

I wouldn't run a Phenom on an MSI board.... Oh wait that one got RMA'ed 3 times and never again. I wouldn't put a 3900 anything in any MSI board unless it was top tier. Opinion only, I'm an Asus guy.

System Name Auriga
Processor Ryzen 7950X3D w/ aquacomputer cuplex kryos NEXT with VISION - acrylic/nickel
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WiFi
Cooling Alphacool Res/D5 Combo •• Corsair XR7 480mm + Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS radiators •• 7xNF-A12 chromax
Memory 2x 32GB G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB @ 6200MHz, 30-40-40-28, 1.35V (F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X w/ Bykski waterblock
Storage 2TB WD Black SN850X ••• 2TB Corsair M510 ••• 40TB QNAP NAS via SFP+ NIC
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (3440x1440, 10-bit @ 139Hz)
Case Thermaltake Core P8
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Razer Viper V2 Pro (FPS games) + Logitech MX Master 2S (everything else)
Keyboard Keycult No2 rev 1 w/Amber Alps and TX stabilizers on a steel plate. DCS 9009 WYSE keycaps
Software W10 X64 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/c3rxw7
I wouldn't run a Phenom on an MSI board.... Oh wait that one got RMA'ed 3 times and never again. I wouldn't put a 3900 anything in any MSI board unless it was top tier. Opinion only, I'm an Asus guy.

we all have our horror stories. when the original threadripper came out, i first got an asus zenith extreme, a $600+ board at the time. i went through 4 of them. not a single one of them worked right. they all have stupid problems. eventually replaced it with an asrock board and everything started working fine.

D

Deleted member 185158

we all have our horror stories. when the original threadripper came out, i first got an asus zenith extreme, a $600+ board at the time. i went through 4 of them. not a single one of them worked right. they all have stupid problems. eventually replaced it with an asrock board and everything started working fine.

Ive read several stories about that board zenith. Unfortunate for that looks like a top board too.
I like MSI video cards though. The boards Im not fond of the bios.
Had issues with AsRock once also. Z77 extreme 4. Lost memory channels. Turned out it was a known issue I didnt know about when I purchased it.
Asus, Ive kill a couple of boards. Killed a couple bios chips.
Biostar.... Everyone of them Ive touched died from overclocking ( a couple few) had a Dual sata 2 s939 that you could get a riser card and upgrade to Am2. Well I killed an FX-55 and the board with a bad volt mod lol.....

I think most boards fail from my abuse more so that just failing in general, but theres been a coulple times in the past, the board just died on its own.

Its one of the worst feelings in the world to break expensive hardware, that's all I know lol.

Processor Core i7 8700K@5 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling 2xEKWB Rads, EKWB Reservoir 250, Aqua Computer Kryos Next CPU Cooler, Phanteks Glacier GPU Cooler
Memory 16 GB DDR4 GSkill Trident Z 3200
Video Card(s) Asus ROG STRIX RTX 2080 O8G (GPU@2115 MHz/VRAM@7800MHz)
Storage 1x Samsung Evo 840 SSD 256, 1x WD Blue 1 TB HDD
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG248 1080p Display/144Hz/G-Sync
Case Fractal Design R6 with Window
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply be quiet 650W Straight Power
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry KB
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores FireStrike: 25953/Extreme: 13141/Ultra: 7099/TimeSpy: 11426/Superposition: 7667/CinebenchR20: 3916
I have a MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon. It's ok but with really high load on my Core i7 8700K@5 GHz the VRM begins to throttle the CPU at about 10 min OCCT AVX512 with small dataset. CPU temps are fine at 70 degrees watercooled, but the VRM heatsink isn't able to cool appropriate. Would need active VRM cooling here or increase the AVX offset from -2 to -3 or even higher to get OCCT for longer stable but it happens only in this case.