1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can I enable SLI without the Nvidia Control Panel?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Black Panther, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Continuing where I left 7 months ago....

So yesterday I reinserted the 'faulty' card.

Surprise - everything worked fine this time. No artifacting. I reinstalled the 176.02 driver, enabled SLI and all was ok. Even gaming. So I guess my card was not faulty at all.

Then it entered my mind to update to the latest laptop drivers from the Nvidia site.

:slap:

It was a risky thing to do since for some reason I never got this machine to run fine with anything other than 176.02...... :wtf:

As expected the latest drivers didn't work, Vista starts loading, then I get a black monitor. So I reverted back the the 176.02 which I had saved on the HDD. The only problem now is that although everything works fine I don't have the Nvidia Control Panel. I reinstalled the 176.02 more than 3 times (using safe mode, driver sweeper etc) yet I can't get the Nvidia CP.

My SLI is disabled...

And I don't know how to enable it without the Nvidia CP..

Any help?

2. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
  3. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    I tried that but it needs a 182.xx Nvidia driver or later. I can only use 176.02 as of now.

Well, I guess tomorrow I'll get my Vista diskette and reinstall windows. Hopefully it will all get better :ohwell:

4. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    I haven't done it yet.

There's a weird problem. After I uninstall drivers, and run driver sweeper in safe mode I get a pop-up at the bottom right saying "installing vga drivers" :confused:

And voila I get this (from dxdiag):

This 195.62 installs while I'm in safe mode, and (obviously) remains there after reboot.
    If I try to remove it (through windows cp then safe mode driver sweeper) it asks me to reboot and even if I reboot in safe mode the drivers start installing by themselves so I get back to square one.

If I try to install 167.62 (ie the driver I want) right after sweeping without rebooting, the install doesn't work.

I can't do a clean install of 167.62 because 195.62 keeps installing by itself all the time :twitch:

Where is this 195.62 coming from? And how can I get rid of it? Driver sweeper in safe mode doesn't work.... as soon as I'm vga-driver-free it starts installing itself, even in safe mode :banghead: