1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can i make this faster?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Msap14, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Msap14 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have an ATI Radeon x1600 pro graphics card and every time i turn on my computer the fan runs really fast then after about 3 seconds slows down.

Why does this happen?
    Is this because the graphics card isn't running at it's potential at all times?
    If so can i over clock it?
    would i need better cooling?

With some new game updates later i have had to reduce my graphics properties so they won't lag. Just wondering if there is something i can do to improve my graphics, without buying a new card.

2. stanhemi

stanhemi New Member

Thanks Received:
    hum the x1600 pro isn't a powerful card (RV530) so maybe it time to upgrade.For your fan i don't know.

3. RadeonX2

RadeonX2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    At startup yes its loud but when the driver loads up at windows startup the fan will turn to driver(auto) control. Same with my 9600GT.

4. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:

I had a ATI 9600 XT and it was better than the x1600 pro. it was sad i took it back.

is it agp or pci-e?

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Overclock with ATItool. The fan speed is driver based, when it's first loading, it will run at 100%. You can change these speeds in ATItool as well.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    The behaviour is normal.

Fan starts at 100% for a number of seconds. Then the firmware on the card, or the drivers in windows, will control the fan speed according to temperature.

There's not much you can do to a x1600 to speed it up. I'm sure that when you are gaming, the fan speeds up already to max. And if not max, you arent going to get much overclock that's worth talking about. It's like trying to put NoX into a Trebant http://www.flickr.com/photos/spablab/171645108/

If you are on AGP, and you DONT want to update/upgrade your main CPU/mainboard, then you could consider the AGP 3850. It is very very fast, and will play all the latest games, even if not at the highest framerates like a 4870 or GTX260. Nonetheless, its a cheapish upgrade.

10 Year Member at TPU