• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can i run my old X58 RAM in a X79?

Wumpus

What's he gonna do, buy one stick? OR lose 1/3rd the memory performance?

first, its 1/4 the performance. (but not even. see below)

secondly, the performance does not scale anywhere near 100%. single channel todual is quite large, dual to triple is semi-negligible (unless you run pi 32m all the time) and triple to quad is even less. It might be possible to even say that it is as near as makes no difference to negligible under regular usage conditions

cadaveca

My name is Dave
first, its 1/4 the performance. (but not even. see below)

Yeah, I mistyped.:laugh:

I don't care about performance. I care about warranty 3 years down the road. DIMMs cost OEMs like $12 to make. The rest pays for labour, profit and warranty claims.:p

If you are buying into SKT2011 it's for the best possible performance. The OP has two options to get that...either buy a new set, or find another single stick, which Corsair will not warranty to work with his kit together. Combined with other factors, it's no question. He can sell his old kit and make up the cost.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
op has 6 X 2GB he needs to buy nothing;)

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
That was my take on it. If he has 4 sticks on hand I would tr it at least. If it fails, for sure, just go buy more then.

Processor Intel Core i9 10980XE @ 4.7Ghz 1.2v
Motherboard ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
Cooling EK-Velocity D-RGB, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX240 Ultrathin, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C14D 64GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC WC
Storage M.2 990 Pro 1TB / 10TB WD RED Helium / 3x 860 2TB Evos
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 28"
Case Corsair Obsidian 500D SE Modded
Power Supply Cooler Master V Series 1300W
Software Windows 11
What's he gonna do, buy one stick? OR lose 1/3rd the memory performance? He's gotta buy something.

Perhaps P67/Z68 is for you then. :laugh: Socket 2011 is overkill for the average user.

Well i do use my computer for 3Ds Max so it will help there :), I just sold my ram, cpu and board to a friend for $500 so should have the CPU by the end of next week :D.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
That was my take on it. If he has 4 sticks on hand I would tr it at least. If it fails, for sure, just go buy more then.

If they aren't hypers. ASUS has a nice profile specific to those DIMMs, but I haven't seen anything spectaular yet with them. I am not too sure on how other OEMs ahve tuned BIOSes either...yet. The Hyper Era is over.:cry: Corsair just refunded me near full retail value for my 2133MHz 2GB sticks, even, so high-speed 2GB DIMMS are a thing of the past.

What we ARE seeing is many of these new 4GB DIMMs hitting very high speeds, better than 2GB DIMMs, even. As always, things are always the best right at launch, so if you're gonna buy, now's the time to do it. With IvyBridge so close in the future, I do not expect a single silicon revision now that the platform has launched, so what you get now, CPU-wise, is probably it.

BIOSes are going to be tuned for 4 and 8 gb DIMMs, too, from what I have been hearing, so if you're buying to overclock, 4GB sticks are it.

Well i do use my computer for 3Ds Max so it will help there :), I just sold my ram, cpu and board to a friend for $500 so should have the CPU by the end of next week :D.

:cry:Pre-Orders only here. I need to be able to walk into the store and get one before I'll have one. Gonna be some interesting clocking.

Processor Intel Core i9 10980XE @ 4.7Ghz 1.2v
Motherboard ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
Cooling EK-Velocity D-RGB, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX240 Ultrathin, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C14D 64GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC WC
Storage M.2 990 Pro 1TB / 10TB WD RED Helium / 3x 860 2TB Evos
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 28"
Case Corsair Obsidian 500D SE Modded
Power Supply Cooler Master V Series 1300W
Software Windows 11
If they aren't hypers. ASUS has a nice profile specific to those DIMMs, but I haven't seen anything spectaular yet with them. I am not too sure on how other OEMs ahve tuned BIOSes either...yet. The Hyper Era is over.:cry: Corsair just refunded me near full retail value for my 2133MHz 2GB sticks, even, so high-speed 2GB DIMMS are a thing of the past.

What we ARE seeing is many of these new 4GB DIMMs hitting very high speeds, better than 2GB DIMMs, even. As always, things are always the best right at launch, so if you're gonna buy, now's the time to do it. With IvyBridge so close in the future, I do not expect a single silicon revision now that the platform has launched, so what you get now, CPU-wise, is probably it.

BIOSes are going to be tuned for 4 and 8 gb DIMMs, too, from what I have been hearing, so if you're buying to overclock, 4GB sticks are it.

:cry:Pre-Orders only here. I need to be able to walk into the store and get one before I'll have one. Gonna be some interesting clocking.

Well i can only hope they'll have stock left next week or ill be waiting as well :(