• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can I Upgrade

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me

mrpickem

maybe play with the memory timings

Well for better or worse I'll play around with it when I get the 32GB kit I ordered yesterday when it was only $106. It's only money...plus It's from Amazon so most everything they have is on liberal holiday return policy through Jan 31 anyways ;)

Well for better or worse I'll play around with it when I get the 32GB kit I ordered yesterday when it was only $106. It's only money...plus It's from Amazon so most everything they have is on liberal holiday return policy through Jan 31 anyways ;)
Nice kit! Good price too! Chime in and let us know how things go.

mrpickem

I received my RAM kit today and threw it in the NUC. I blew the NUC out and cleaned it a bit although it seemed fairly clean from what I could tell. I was unable to adjust any of the RAM multipliers or timings in the BIOS and therefore it is running at 2400 MHz. I did notice there is one BIOS revision from June this year which is newer than what I'm running, so I will flash that tomorrow. I doubt it changes anything pertaining to RAM speed.

Quick observations after rebooted with 32GB RAM. I still see minor flicker which is a bit annoying. I have not noticed the black screen so far.

Unfortunately there is very little I can do to make this NUC process video any better as far as I can tell. I suppose I'll test this memory for a few days and likely return it to Amazon. I think the resolution I'm pushing on this 38" monitor, even at 60 Hz is just a little much for the NUC. So what I may do is just switch back to my 32" monitor as there was no problem before when using that display.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions / advice and do have a great weekend.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
What are the resolutions of the two monitors?

I was unable to adjust any of the RAM multipliers or timings in the BIOS and therefore it is running at 2400 MHz.
Damn. Well here's the upside, at that lower speed the faster timings listed in the SPD will be in effect. So even though the RAM is not running at a faster clock speen it will be running at faster timings and thus still providing a performance improvement. You can test this by running CPUZ and looking at the memory spec read outs.

I did notice there is one BIOS revision from June this year which is newer than what I'm running, so I will flash that tomorrow. I doubt it changes anything pertaining to RAM speed.
Maybe, but given that you're having glitches it might be a good idea to do it just to see if it resolves the problems you're having.

Quick observations after rebooted with 32GB RAM. I still see minor flicker which is a bit annoying. I have not noticed the black screen so far.
That's always a good sign!

I suppose I'll test this memory for a few days and likely return it to Amazon.
No, keep it. You'll still get batter performance and you'll never have RAM issues with 32GB.

mrpickem

What are the resolutions of the two monitors?

• 32" 2560x1440
  • 38" 3840x1600

Both of these resolutions work very well for me as they display larger text for my older eyes. The smaller monitor actually has slightly larger text, but for me the 38" is the sweet spot allowing much more room to compare windows side by side.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Your HDMI cable is 4K@60Hz rated?

Flickering only when overclocking the RAM?

mrpickem

No, keep it. You'll still get batter performance and you'll never have RAM issues with 32GB.
I will indeed keep the extra RAM.

Flickering only when overclocking the RAM?

I finally corrected the problem. It was really quite simple as I asked on reddit.com/r/intelnuc and someone suggested DisplayPort. I wasn't aware your can also send DisplayPort signal over USB-C when your monitor supports such. My Dell being a higher end monitor did support it and had an included cable which was good because I tried 2 other USB-C cables which did not work before I found the included cable. Don't know why the others didn't work except they maybe were just low quality charging cables? Anyways with the Dell cable the display is perfectly flicker free and I haven't seen a black screen in nearly 2 days although I just added the USB-C cable a few hours ago. Problem solved.

I was however using a USB-C hub for additional storage and ports, so I would prefer to retain that flexibility.

So any ideas why the HDMI signal was not up to par? Maybe a better quality cable would work? Overall I would much prefer to have the display flicker free and I'm very happy about that. But optimally I would prefer having the hub available...maybe a hub with USB-C video pass thru?

This is all it took to solve my problem! :D