1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can IDE HDD and SATA HDD be Run Simultaneously?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Dan2312, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Dan2312

Thanks Received:
    Ive currently got 2 classic IDE drives, i was wondering if i could squeeze a 3rd HD in there, a SATA based one tho, could i run it at the same time as the IDE pair?

also would it have to be set as a slave or master?

Cheers, dan!

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    Shouldn't be any problems running it at the same time (provided you aren't trying to RAID it with your other drives)

No master/slave for SATA, just connect and go (the newer ones have jumpers for SATA150 and SATA300...all SATA300 drives are SATA150 compatible)

So yeah, just plug it in, turn it on in the BIOS and windows should see a third drive...

Seem to remember somewhere if it doesn't show up on first boot you have to right-click somewhere and scan for changes?? But chances are you plug it in, set the jumper (if running a SATA150 mobo), flip it on in the BIOS and windows should see it no problem

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. LiNKiN

LiNKiN

Thanks Received:
    As long as you have a free SATA port you are good to go. I am assuming you will just be using for additional storage? Also SATA do not use the old school slave/master settings. :toast:

Beat me to it Mediocre! :toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Dan2312

Thanks Received:
    okay cool, ill have to read my mobo instructions to see if its a 150, i bet it is with it being a classic 478 Mobo. :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    That sounds about right, I might even forego the manual check and just set it to sata150. I don't think there is a real world performance difference between 150 and 300. 150 is supposed to be 150mb/s and 300mb/s but I thought I read somewhere there wasn't a real performance difference...could be waaaay wrong :laugh:

Welcome to the SATA age :toast:

(see specs - I run 4x80 in RAID 0 for gaming...load times are unbelievably short - Always the first to load in BF2 and C&C)

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Dan2312

Thanks Received:
    haha and i make everyone wait for me on BF2, i have time to go make a brew before it comes on for me!

yeah it will be used for games.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

;)
    :toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. 3991vhtes

3991vhtes New Member

Thanks Received:
    I always thought that it had to be one or the other????

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    nope.

3991vhtes says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  10. LonGun

LonGun New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you guys dont' mind I'm asking can an external HDD perform well on USB 2.0? Firewire Port? or an external SATA port on the back of the MB I have?

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    it'll perform well on all 3.
    if you really want external storage, go with NAS(network attached storage). NAS hooks up to your router.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Grings

Grings

Thanks Received:
    nas is cool, ive been looking for (a cheap) one for a while now, however if you have an esata port on the back of your mobo, id suggest one of those external boxes that has esata AND usb2, as it will give you the quickest performance on your own computer, and you can hook it up to (virtually) any other computer via usb

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    You can combine any type of controller. If you're bored (or even have a real reason) you could fill all your expansion slots with controllers. Add some SATA card, a PATA controller, SCSI, SAS, all can run together without issues. Add several USB and firewire disks while you're add it and use Windows to make a RAID 0 array from all these different disks. Your system won't care, if you want it you can do it :)

As for external storage. Do you plan on moving it around? Use it on multiple computers? Or will it just sit on top of your computer? If you move it around a lot I'd recommend USB simply because it'll work on 99% of the computers. If you keep it at home but have multiple PC's I would recommend NAS (Network Attached Storage). If you plan on using it on 1 system and not disconnecting it I would use an internal drive :) (perhaps eSATA if you lack space in your case)

10 Year Member at TPU