1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can PCI 2.2 be used in PCI Express slot?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by neutranium7, Jan 11, 2007.

1. neutranium7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just purchased a pinacle studio movieboard PCI; However it has 2 small sections at each end and a larger pin area in the middle. I have a D975XBX2 motherboard with 3 PCI-E 2 PCI and 1 PCI 1. from looking at the configuration of the pinacle card pins and the PCI bus, I feel their is no compatibility. Before I return it, I would like to know if I have any alternatives. Like will it work in Epress or is their a way of adding on a PCI 2.2. My goal of course is capturing video and editing.

Thanks
    Gerry newbie

2. aximbigfan New Member

Thanks Received:
    no.
    pcie card will only work in pcie slots
    pci cards will only work in pci slots

chris

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU
  4. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    It is most certainly compatible with one of the slots on your PC. Should fit in one of the white slots if its PCI

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. SpoonMuffin New Member

Thanks Received:
    the extra slots are for use in pci-x slots, the |||| |||||||||||||| |||| layout lets the card work in a pci-x slot that provides higher clocks and voltege then normal pci slots, these are only found in server or veryhigh end workstation boards such as those made by tyan, but the card is a pci card just with the ability to work in a pci-x slot(64bit pci)

6. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Actually the keys are for voltage, the layout you're showing supports both 3.3V and 5V. PCI-X has another small piece next to that. The key closest to the back of the case means the card can run at 3.3v, the second means it can run at 5v. Many cards can run both and hence have the layout shown by you.

PCI 3.3V
    |||| |||||||||||||||||||
    PCI 5V
    ||||||||||||||||||| ||||
    PCI 3.3V & 5V
    |||| |||||||||||||| ||||
    PCI-X (3.3V & 5V)
    |||| |||||||||||||| |||| ||||||

That Pinnacle card should be standard PCI, also it's not "for use in PCI-X slots" it's not like they're normal cards which have extra PCI-X functionality or anything, it's the other way around. PCI-X cards are backwards compatible with PCI if you're lucky. Not all PCI-X cards will work in PCI slots. Plus it's not limited to very high end stuff, crap workstation boards have it too, even some desktop boards, those are often limited to 66MHz though. It all depends on the chipset.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. neutranium7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The slot size for the Pinnacle is the same size as my Kworld T.v tuner card, only difference is Pinnacle has IIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIII the T.v. Tuner Has
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIII. Do I understand you folks correctly that both can successfully be used on my mobo?

8. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    The 2 keys mean it can work with both 3.3 and 5, a single one means it only works with the specified voltage. If it fits physically it will work.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. neutranium7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks to everone for your professional,candid responses, especially for taking the time out of your busy sheldules to increase my understanding of the PCI process. I can see this is a great forum and I hope to be on often if for no other reason then to read and learn, although I do hope to contribute when I can.

Thanks again
    Gerry

10. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Where should we send the bill to?:)

10 Year Member at TPU